Author Topic: Christmas Reviews 2014  (Read 8274 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Christmas Reviews 2014
« on: November 30, 2014, 08:23:08 PM »

Christmas Reviews 2014
It is that time a year again! Though I don't know how much time I will have to watch Christmas movies/TV episodes.... what with me working retail and this being the busiest time of the year. Because of this I decided not to have any type of goal this year. This thread will just be a place to house all the Christmas reviews I do get to. There is some favorites that I watch every year that I hope I will get to this year... but with my working and most my collection in storage I can't guarantee anything this year.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Reviews 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 04:09:06 PM »
     Pete's Christmas (2013/)
IMDb |Trailer |
Director:Nisha Ganatra
Writing:Peter McKay
Length:89 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Some Mild Language
Video:Widescreen
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Zachary Gordon as Pete Kidder
Molly Parker as Dr. Pamela Kidder
Rick Roberts as Ronald
Wesley Morgan as Jake
Peter DaCunha as Kenny
Marshall Williams as Mike Bronski
Jacob Kraemer as Ted Bronski
Bailee Madison as Katie
Bruce Dern as Grandpa

Plot:
14-year old Pete just had the worst Christmas ever. His busy parents forgot to buy his present, his talented brothers outshine him, the neighboring bullies target him for snowball practice, and his grandfather fights with his dad. Pete is relieved when the day ends. But when he wakes up on what he thinks is Dec. 26th, he finds out that it's Christmas all over again. Stuck repeating the day over and over, Pete panics at first, but slowly realizes that he can take advantage of this mysterious gift and enjoy the ultimate family Christmas.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
For some reason going into this one I really wasn't expecting too much. I guess because I never heard of it... and first time I ever notice it I find it in a discount pile... only $5 for the blu-ray/dvd combo pack. After watching it I find I enjoyed it. Definitely seen better but it is good enough that I can see myself watching it every year around this time.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 09:40:40 PM »
     Four Christmases: Special Edition (2008/United States, Germany)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
New Line Home Entertainment, Warner Home Video
Director:Seth Gordon
Writing:Matt R. Allen (Screenwriter), Caleb Wilson (Screenwriter), Jon Lucas (Screenwriter), Scott Moore (Screenwriter), Matt R. Allen (Story By), Caleb Wilson (Story By)
Length:89 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Some Sexual Humor and Language
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, German: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Dutch, English, German, Spanish

Stars:
Vince Vaughn as Brad
Reese Witherspoon as Kate
Robert Duvall as Howard
Sissy Spacek as Paula
Jon Voight as Creighton
Jon Favreau as Denver

Plot:
Every Christmas happily unmarried Brad and Kate escape divorced parents and exasperating relatives by getting on a plane. This year, the airport shuts down and the couple is forced to celebrate four family Christmases in one hectic, hilarious day. Can Brad and Kate's relationship survive Four Christmases?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
Before the movie I watched the trailer. And to be honest didn't know what to think... could have been good... could have been bad. So I went into it a little hesitant. While I found it to be entertaining... it was no more then an average film. There is so many better Christmas films out there that I would recommend seeing before this one. While I feel Reese Witherspoon did a fine job... I didn't feel quite the same way with Vince Vaughn as his seemed overly stiff and forced. Even for the character that he was playing. I really did like the premise of the film... just that the outcome should have been better.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 03:23:32 PM »
     A Christmas Story (1983/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Warner Home Video, Turner Entertainment Company
Director:Bob Clark
Writing:Jean Shepherd (Original Material By), Jean Shepherd (Screenwriter), Leigh Brown (Screenwriter), Bob Clark (Screenwriter)
Length:93 min.
Rating:PG
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Melinda Dillon as Mother
Darren McGavin as The Old Man
Peter Billingsley as Ralphie
Ian Petrella as Randy
Scott Schwartz as Flick
R. D. Robb as Schwartz

Plot:
The Christmas spirit isn't served up with more heartfelt warmth or observant hilarity than in this beloved adaptation of Jean Shepherd's holiday story. In 1940s Indiana, nine year old Ralphie (Peter Billingsly) dreams of his ideal Christmas gift: a genuine Red Ryder 200-shot Carbine Action Air Rifle. But when gruff dad (Darren McGavin) and doting mom (Melinda Dillon) regularly respond with "You'll shoot your eye out!" Ralphie mounts a full-scale, hint-dropping, Santa-begging campaign. He also endures a slew of calamities from snowsuit paralysis to the yellow-eyed Scotty Farkus affair to the dreaded tongue-on-a-frozen-flagpole gambit. We triple-dog-dare you to unwrap a more welcome Yuletide classic!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes

My Thoughts:
This one is a fun movie... I definitely enjoyed it. The film has some decent laughs in it. OMG... that terrible gift from his aunt... the bunny pajamas... and the fact that his mother liked it so much was scary as well. I do think the story was over exaggerated... but I believe that was on purpose. After all it was supposed to be a guy telling the story about a childhood Christmas. This movie is a must see during the holidays.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 07:20:33 PM »
     A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas (2011/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |
Warner Home Video
Director:Todd Strauss-Schulson
Writing:Jon Hurwitz (Writer), Hayden Schlossberg (Writer), Jon Hurwitz (Original Characters By), Hayden Schlossberg (Original Characters By)
Length:90 min.
Rating:Rated R : Strong Crude and Sexual Content, Graphic Nudity, Pervasive Language, Drug Use and Some Violence
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Patton Oswalt as Mall Santa
Isabella Gielniak as Caren
Kal Penn as Kumar
Austin Bickel as Kid in Line
Inga Wilson as Mom in Line
John Cho as Harold

Plot:
High holy days are here again, only a little higher and a lot less holy. After years of drifting apart, Harold and Kumar reunite when a prize Christmas tree accidentally goes up in smoke. Rather than come clean to his crazy in-laws, Harold opts to get dirty as he and Kumar embark on a dope holiday adventure to find the perfect replacement tree. On the way, the two find song, dance, and the true spirit of Christmas. And they just might meet a mythical figure back from the dead: the one, the only...Neil Patrick Harris.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
This is not normally my type of comedy... but I enjoyed it more then I thought I would. Some good comedy... some of the comedy I found to be a little over the top and tasteless. And I probably would have enjoyed this one a little more if I watched the first 2 movies beore this one. But over-all I would say worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 07:50:34 PM »
     The Santa Clause: Widescreen (1994/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Walt Disney Home Video, Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Director:John Pasquin
Writing:Leo Benvenuti (Writer), Steve Rudnick (Writer)
Length:97 min.
Rating:PG
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Tim Allen as Scott Calvin
Judge Reinhold as Neal
Wendy Crewson as Laura
Eric Lloyd as Charlie
David Krumholtz as Bernard
Larry Brandenburg as Detective Nunzio

Plot:
Superstar comedian and Golden Globe winner* Tim Allen shines bright in Disney's magical, larger-than-life hit comedy that People Magazine dubbed "the most playfully amusing, inventive cinematic...fable in several decades!"

Rooftop clatter leads to merry adventure after Santa falls down on the job, and Scott Calvin's son Charlie convinces dad to try on the red suit. Eight reindeer pilot the pair to the North Pole, where they soon discover that by donning the famous suit, dad must now accept all of Santa's duties! Over the next year, a surprised, not-so-jolly Scott grows a Santa-sized tummy and beard, causing friends, family and business associates to wonder if he's lost his marbles. All except Charlie, who thinks his dad is perfectly suited for his new job!

Each well-kept secret of the North Pole is revealed in Disney's hilarious and heartwarming tale that's "destined to become a holiday classic" (New York Post). Now you can unwrap all the magic of the holidays any day of the year!

*Best Actor ("Home Improvement").

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one of my favorite movies to watch to help me get into the Christmas Spirit. I have been a fan of Tim Allen ever since I first saw him in Home Improvement. I don't know what it really is about this movie other then it is just a fun holiday movie... but it is one I just can not miss each year.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 07:04:21 PM »
     Jeff Dunham's Very Special Christmas Special (2008/United States)
IMDb 
Image Entertainment
Director:Michael Simon
Length:85 min.
Rating:NR
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Jeff Dunham as Himself
Brian Haner as Himself (Guitar Guy)

Plot:
Jeff Dunham invites Walter, Peanut, Bubba J, José Jalapeño and Achmed the Dead Terrorist to join him on his first holiday special. Unfortunately, his suitcase posse doesn't quite share the same Christmas spirit—and the result is a one-of-a-kind live event unlike any yuletide celebration you've ever seen!

Dunham whose first two television specials drew record ratings, multimillion DVD sales and over 200 million views on websites worldwide, brings together all-new material and, for the first time, original songs and stories guaranteed to become instant classics: from Achmed's "Jingle Bombs" to Bubba J's "Roadkill Christmas" to Peanut's version of "The Night Before Christmas."

Destined to become a treasured holiday favorite!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
This has become a yearly tradition for me. This guy is just freaking hilarious! I really liked all his characters... my favorite is a toss-up between Achmed and Peanut. I wasn't expecting to like a ventriloquist as much as I liked this one but this Jeff Dunham special is just filled with laughs. The show is as good on multiple viewings as it is the first time you seen it. If you never checked this guy out before... I highly recommend it!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 11:46:13 PM »
     The Santa Clause 2: Fullscreen (2002/)
Trailer |Wikipedia |IMDb |
Director:Michael Lembeck
Writing:Leo Benvenuti (Story By), Steve Rudnick (Story By), Don Rhymer (Screenwriter), Cinco Paul (Screenwriter), Ken Daurio (Screenwriter), Ed Decter (Screenwriter), John J. Strauss (Screenwriter), Leo Benvenuti (Original Characters By), Steve Rudnick (Original Characters By)
Length:104 min.
Rating:G
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Tim Allen as Scott Calvin/Santa/Toy Santa
Elizabeth Mitchell as Carol
David Krumholtz as Bernard
Eric Lloyd as Charlie Calvin
Judge Reinhold as Neil Miller
Wendy Crewson as Laura Miller

Plot:
Walt Disney Pictures presents an all-new comedy adventure overflowing with holiday cheer. Tim Allen reappears in 'Santa Clause 2' , the hilarious sequel to everybody's holiday favorite. Scott Calvin (Allen) has been Santa for the past 8 years, and his loyal elves consider him the best one ever. But Scott's got problems. His son Charlie landed on this year's "naughty" list, and if Scott doesn't marry before Christmas Eve - one very, very short month away - he'll stop being Santa forever. Embracing Chrsitmas and the magic of family with heart, warmth, fun and charm, 'Santa Clause 2' is classic holiday entertainment everybody will enjoy again and again.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Games
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned
  • THX

My Thoughts:
This is a pretty good sequel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. But this one was not as good as the first one. I think the only real problem I have with it is the whole Toy Santa storyline. That part just didn't feel right to me, personally. Other then that I enjoyed every minute of it... and watch it every year. I did like the whole must find a wife storyline though.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 01:42:55 PM »
     Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (2006/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Walt Disney Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Director:Michael Lembeck
Writing:Leo Benvenuti (Original Characters By), Steve Rudnick (Original Characters By), Ed Decter (Writer), John J. Strauss (Writer)
Length:92 min.
Rating:G
Audio:English: PCM: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Tim Allen as Santa/Scott Calvin
Elizabeth Mitchell as Mrs. Claus/Carol
Eric Lloyd as Charlie
Judge Reinhold as Neil Miller
Wendy Crewson as Laura Miller
Spencer Breslin as Curtis

Plot:
Tim Allen is back in the big red suit for more adventures and laughs in Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause – now merrier and brighter than ever on Blu-ray Disc®.

As Christmas nears, Scott Calvin invites his in-laws (Ann-Margret, Alan Arkin) to join the festivities. But the holidays take a chaotic turn when Scott discovers a way out of his "Santa Clause" and the mischievous Jack Frost (Martin Short) puts the big freeze on Christmas's big cheese! Now, unless Scott can get his job back in the St. Nick of time, it's going to be a very glacial "Frostmas" all around the world! Bundle up for fresh thrills as your favorite reluctant Santa Claus faces his most chilling challenge yet in the crystal clarity of high definition, while spectacular audio enhancement makes sleigh bells ring out like symphonies.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Games
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:
I don't feel it quite held up to the first 2 parts... but I still enjoyed it a lot. While the storyline with Jack Frost left me a little cold (Sorry... couldn't help myself)... I thought Martin Short was a good choice for the role. I also liked the whole family reunion at the North Pole thing.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 02:10:56 PM »
     Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Classic Media, Vivendi Entertainment
Director:Larry Roemer
Writing:Romeo Muller (Writer), Robert May (1905) (Original Material By), Johnny Marks (Original Material By)
Length:52 min.
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:

Stars:
Burl Ives as Sam/Narrator (Voice)
Larry Mann as Yukon Cornelius (Voice)
Billy Richards as Rudolph (Voice)
Paul Soles as Hermey (Voice)
Stan Francis as Santa Claus (Voice)
Stan Francis as King Moonracer (Voice)

Plot:
Do you remember when...
Rudolph visited the Island of Misfit Toys, and Santa asked Rudolph to guide his sleigh on Christmas Eve? Share the magic of this Original Christmas Classic told and sung by Burl Ives!

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is a true Christmas Classic. One I have seen countles times every since I was a little kid and it aired on TV every year. I mean how can you not watch the likes of Rudolph this time of the year? The image and sound on this blu-ray is amazing... easily the best this one has ever looked and sound.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 03:59:13 AM »
I watched Elf: Buddy's Musical Christmas tonight.  It is an animated version of the movie Elf.  Jim Parsons does the voice of Buddy.  It was cute.
I have one of the Prep and Landing cartoons on now.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 06:02:46 AM »
I watched Elf: Buddy's Musical Christmas tonight.  It is an animated version of the movie Elf.  Jim Parsons does the voice of Buddy.  It was cute.
I have one of the Prep and Landing cartoons on now.
You think Pete will try this...? :hmmmm:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »
I am lucky if I will be able to get to all my old favorites this year.... working in retail this time of year... when I am not working I am sleeping. They are really keeping me busy. Will be so glad when the holidays are over!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 06:33:47 PM »
     Single Santa Seeks Mrs. Claus (2004/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |
Goodtimes Entertainment
Director:Harvey Frost
Writing:Pamela Wallace (Writer)
Length:85 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Steve Guttenberg as Nick
Crystal Bernard as Beth
Dominic Scott Kay as Jake
Thomas Calabro as Andrew
Armin Shimerman as Ernst
Sebastian Tillinger as Hennesy

Plot:
Steve Guttenberg (Three Men and a Baby), Crystal Bernard (Wings), and Thomas Calabro (Melrose Place) star in a Christmas charmer about Santa's son and his search for a wife. Nick (Guttenberg) is due to replace his retiring father, and needs a Mrs. Claus, so Santa's advisor sends him down to Southern California. There he meets Beth Sawtelle (Bernard), a workaholic whose advertising job with Andrew West (Calabro) leaves precious little timefor her son, Jake (Dominic Scott Kay). Concealing his identity, Nick stars in a series of Christmas commercials for the agency as he tries to make sure Jake and Beth both believe in Santa Claus-no easy task in her case!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
This one I really enjoyed a lot. I enjoyed the storyline... I liked the cast. I basically found myself hooked from the very beginning of the movie. This one I can see myself watching every year at this time. This is a made for TV movie that originally aired on Lifetime. It is just a sweet and innocent holiday film. If you enjoy a good Christmas film this time of year I definitely recommend giving this one a chance. I don't think you will be sorry.

My Rating:
Pete