Author Topic: New Laptop  (Read 4910 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: New Laptop
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 05:03:06 AM »
The laptop I got has Windows 8...I was not happy with it.  At all.  I hate that stupid tile screen. 

Over the summer, my boss got a new computer for bookkeeping and it has 8.1 on it.  I do the bookkeeping, so I am the main one that has to deal with it.  It took forever to get Quickbooks to work right because of how Windows 8.1 is set up to do stuff.  Having to give permissions to share files or something like that.  I can't remember exactly now.   It took me forever to deal with that..and then with the fact that the certain files for Quickbooks had to be saved to a User folder and not just on the C drive like we did with the old computer.  I would get the file updated at first, and all seemed good, but then when I tried to get back into the file, I was told I didn't have permission to open it.  It was very frustrating.

My boss had to update other programs to newer versions so that everything would work in them.  Then, even when I got the programs installed, I couldn't find them to start them.  Nothing went to that stupid tile screen..it didn't go to the desktop.  It was ridiculous.  I finally figured out how to get the icons I need on the desktop, but it took entirely too long to do.  We stay at the desktop and avoid that tile screen unless absolutely have to go there..like to reboot and install updates.  I don't have as much trouble overall with it now, but every so often, it does something weird again.

I would much rather have Windows 7 back.  My computer, and the bookkeeping computer at work, is not a smartphone.  They don't even have touchscreens.  Even if they did, I wouldn't like that stupid tile screen.  I wouldn't even like the tiles on a smartphone.  I just don't like it.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 04:37:28 PM »
Yep .. Microsoft's  race to the bottom.  It might be fine for phones or tablets (i'll stick with android) but not for a computer that you have to work on.  But hey .. you can do 2 things at the same time now :).
Thank you
David

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 05:35:59 PM »
I hate that stupid tile screen. 

The tiles disappear as soon as you press the Windows key.
Or it will be entirely gone if installing "Start Menu 8" as suggested above.

Win10 will dismiss the tiles for Desktop versions by default (Those that actually liked can have it back by customizing the Start menu).

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 06:10:37 AM »
I set up all the computers in our company (...of 25 people). To make the transition for the staff easier, the first thing I always did was place the Desktop tile in the top left corner of the START screen and make it as large as possible. So if people got confused or scared when seeing that screen, at least they had a good way of getting back to the desktop :laugh: