Author Topic: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon  (Read 38769 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2014, 05:06:12 AM »

Near Dark
Year of Release: 1987
Directed By: Kathryn Bigelow
Starring: Adrian Pasdar, Jenny Wright, Lance Henriksen, Bill Paxton, Jenette Goldstein
Genre: Horror, Western, Crime

Overview:
Country boy Caleb Colton (Adrian Pasdar) whittles away the quiet rural nights hunting local girls – but when he falls prey to the mysterious and beautiful Mae (Jenny Wright), Caleb unknowingly becomes the hunted. Mae is no ordinary girl, Caleb soon learns: she is part of an outlaw band of vampires, and their love is about to lure him into a terrifying world of bloodlust, mayhem and absolute horror. Will Caleb pay the ultimate price for love and eternal life – or will he find a way to defeat the evil growing inside him each night NEAR DARK?

My Thoughts:
This is a stylish hybrid film, bridging horror, western and crime genres together to create a uniquely modern look at the vampire.  Perhaps one shouldn't use the term here, they certainly don't in the film, but it is still definitely a vampire film.  All of the actors do an excellent job, and the pull Caleb finds himself in between his two contrasting families creates quite a bit of excellent tension as you wonder whether he will accept his new family and new life, or continue to cling to his humanity.  Jenny Wright's portrayal of Mae is also just about the best portrayal of Stockholm Syndrome I've ever seen.  There is a bit of gore here, but nothing too bad and all necessary to the story.  Well worth a watch.

Bechdel Test: Fail (I think)

Overall: 4/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »
Recently reviewed this one so won't write another full review here.

Scorecard:
TV Eps: 14
Movies: 10
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2014, 08:53:55 PM »
     The Walking Dead: The Complete Second Season: Disc 3

9. Triggerfinger
Rick, Hershel, and Glenn find themselves trapped and having to battle against new foes, both walkers and living humans. Meanwhile, Shane attempts to bring Lori back to the farm.

10. 18 Miles Out
The situation between Shane and Rick come to a head while Maggie grows concerned for Glen's feelings due to freezing up during a firefight.

11. Judge, Jury, Executioner
The situation about what to do with Randall is dividing the survivors. Daryl takes on the job of extracting information from Randall that reveals a new threat to the group. Dale goes about the group trying to convince the not to execute Randall.

12. Better Angels
Due to an unexpected death from the previous episode, the group decides to get organized and secure the farm. A final confrontation between Rick and Shane is put into motion.

Stars:
Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes
Jon Bernthal as Shane Walsh
Sarah Wayne Callies as Lori Grimes
Laurie Holden as Andrea
Jeffrey DeMunn as Dale

Extras:
  • Audio Commentary

My Thoughts:
This disc is filled with great episodes. After each one you just can't wait to watch the next. This disc has not one... but two main character deaths. One to this day I miss on the show... the other... not so much. I am just having way too much fun re-watching this series!

My Rating:

Scorecard:
TV Eps: 18
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 09:55:06 PM »
     The Walking Dead: The Complete Second Season: Disc 4

13. Beside the Dying Fire
The last shot from the previous episode alerts a nearby zombie horde to the survivors. In the ensuing chaos, the group is fractured and loyalties questioned.

Stars:
Jon Bernthal as Shane Walsh
Laurie Holden as Andrea
Jeffrey DeMunn as Dale

Extras:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Webisodes

My Thoughts:
With only the one last episode on this disc there was no way I wasn't going to finish off this season today. This is a really good conclusion to the season... my favorite season of the series so far. I really couoldn't recommend this series more!

My Rating:

Scorecard:
TV Eps: 19
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2014, 04:15:15 PM »
     The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season: Disc 1

1. Seed
The survivors find their way to a prison seeking shelter.

2. Sick
As Herschel's life hangs in the balance, Rick and the others have to deal with the realization that they are not the only living people in the prison.

3. Walk With Me
After witnessing an accident, Andrea and Michonne are introduced to a new community of survivors. As conflicts arise with their new acquaintances, a decision must be made.

4. Killer Within
The group is severed and lives are put in jeopardy. In Woodbury, Merle has a request for the Governor.

Stars:
Laurie Holden as Andrea
Norman Reedus as Daryl Dixon
Steven Yeun as Glenn

Extras:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
Finished off the first disc of the third season last night. A very good start to the new season. Love the storyline involving the prison. Also get to meet Machonne and The Governor on this disc.

My Rating:

Scorecard:
TV Eps: 23
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2014, 06:31:44 PM »
     Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Timur Bekmambetov
Writing:Seth Grahame-Smith (Screenwriter), Seth Grahame-Smith (Original Material By)
Length:105 min.
Rating:Rated R : Violence Throughout and Brief Sexuality
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Benjamin Walker as Abraham Lincoln
Dominic Cooper as Henry Sturges
Anthony Mackie as Will Johnson
Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Mary Todd Lincoln
Rufus Sewell as Adam
Marton Csokas as Jack Barts

Plot:
The blood-pumping action and special effects in this edgy, action-packed thriller from filmmakers Tim Burton and Timur Bekmambetov (director of Wanted) are even more spectacular on Blu-ray™! Included is an exclusive graphic novel prequel about the origins of vampires in America, a featurette about the axe-fighting choreography, and much more. Abraham Lincoln (Benjamin Walker) becomes history's greatest hunter of the undead as he sets out to pulverize the bloodthirsty killers one by one in an epic fight for vengeance and survival!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
I found this to be an entertaining movie. At first I thought the idea of the storyline was stupid and wasn't sure I wanted to see it. Then the film was given to me. Once I actually watched it... I found it to be just a fun idea. One thing I like about this one... it isn't just a straight horror film... there is a lot of great action sequences as well. I think this one is worth the time put in to watch it. Recommended.

My Rating:

Scorecard:
Movies: 11
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2014, 05:32:36 AM »

Scream and Scream Again
Year of Release: 1969
Directed By: Gordon Hessler
Starring: Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Judy Huxtable, Alfred Marks
Genre: Suspense/Thriller, Horror

Overview:
They hunger for power, thirst for blood...and make each helpless, pleading victim Scream and Scream Again! Horror legends Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, and Peter Cushing star in this "masterwork of style and suspense" (Los Angeles Times) about a group of sadistic madmen plotting to take over the world - ONE SEVERED BODY PART AT A TIME!

My Thoughts:
This is a sort of pulp-trash kind of movie, and is really more of a suspense/thriller than a horror film - for all that three of the greats of the horror genre (Price, Lee and Cushing) are all present in the film.  For all that star power and name recognition, none of them are the star of the film either - it's really more of an ensemble piece, and Cushing's character is really a long cameo.  The story isn't told in a linear fashion, and at first all the disparate pieces seem to have no connection to each other.  They tie together in the end, though the film does a good job of keeping you wondering how, and the story does make sense then.  

For having such great actors, they are really underutilized and I would have liked to see more of them.  The plot has a lot of loose ends that aren't tied up at the end, and even after you understand what's been going on you still have a lot of unanswered questions.  I enjoyed the film but I don't know that I'd recommend it for horror fans.  If you like Price, Lee or Cushing, and want a complete oeuvre of the work of any of them, by all means watch this.  If you like some of the wacky, disjointed cult films that came out in the late 60's/early 70's, then you'd likely enjoy this.  But it's not really a horror film, at least in my opinion.  

Bechdel Test: Fail

Overall: 3/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »
     The Fog: Collector's Edition (1980/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Shout! Factory
Director:John Carpenter
Writing:John Carpenter (Writer), Debra Hill (Writer)
Length:90 min.
Rating:R
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Adrienne Barbeau as Stevie Wayne
Jamie Lee Curtis as Elizabeth Solley
Janet Leigh as Kathy Williams
John Houseman as Mr. Machen
Tom Atkins as Nick Castle
James Canning as Dick Baxter

Plot:
When the fog rolls in...the terror begins! This moody horror classic from master of terror John Carpenter (The Thing) and producer Debra Hill (Escape From New York) stars Adrienne Barbeau (Swamp Thing), Jamie Lee Curtis (Halloween), Tom Atkins (Halloween III: Season Of The Witch), Hal Holbrook (Creepshow) and Janet Leigh (Psycho). Don't get lost in the fog...

The sleepy seaside village of Antonio Bay is about to learn the true meaning of the word "vengeance." This seemingly perfect town masks a guilty secret...a past steeped in greed and murder. Exactly 100 years ago, a ship was horribly wrecked under mysterious circumstances in a thick, eerie fog. Now, shrouded in darkness, the long-dead mariners have returned from their watery grave to exact a bloody revenge.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interviews
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Reversible Cover Art

My Thoughts:
This one here is classic '80s horror. Loved the cast... loved the storyline. This one is definitely worth the time put in to watch it. If you never seen this one... I highly recommend it. Just be sure you get the 1980 original... and not the remake or you will be disappointed. This is one case that not only is the original is better.... it is MUCH better.

My Rating:

Scorecard:
Movies: 12
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2014, 05:38:21 PM »
     Stephen King's Bag of Bones (2011/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Mick Garris
Writing:Matt Venne (Screenwriter), Stephen King (Original Material By)
Length:163 min.
Rating:NR
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Pierce Brosnan as Mike Noonan
Melissa George as Mattie Devore
Annabeth Gish as Jo Noonan
Anika Noni Rose as Sara Tidwell
Matt Frewer as Sid Noonan

Plot:
Based on the award-winning novel by Stephen King, STEPHEN KING'S BAG OF BONES is an unforgettable psychological thriller.

Two time Golden Globe® Award nominee Pierce Brosnan (Die Another Day) stars as Mike Noonan, a novelist who suffers from writer's block after the death of his wife, Jo (Annabeth Gish, TV's "Pretty Little Liars"). A dream inspires him to return to the couple's lakeside retreat hoping to fine answers about his wife's sudden death – but he is plagued by ever-escalating nightmares and mysterious ghostly visitations from Sara Tidwell (Anika Noni Rose, Dreamgirls), a blues singer whose spirit lingers in the house. As the inhabitants of Dark Score Lake haunt him, Mike comes to realize that his late wife still has something to tell him.

Jason Priestley (TV's "Beverly Hills, 90210"), Melissa George (30 Days of Night) and William Schallert (TV's "True Blood") also star in this haunting thriller.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes

My Thoughts:
While I enjoyed this miniseries... it wasn't as good as most I have seen come from Stephen King. The odd part is I really can't put my finger on what problem I had with it. The cast was good... as was the storyline. But it just didn't feel up to par with what I have come to expect from Stephen King. But this one is worth the time put in to watch it. Just try to lower your expectations a little before watching.

My Rating:

Scorecard:
Movies: 13
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2014, 08:38:42 PM »

The Woman in Black
Year of Release: 2012
Directed By: James Watkins
Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Ciaran Hinds, Janet McTeer
Genre: Horror, Suspense/Thriller

Overview:
Arthur Kipps (Daniel Radcliffe), a widowed lawyer whose grief has put his career in jeopardy, is sent to a remote village to sort out the affairs of a recently deceased eccentric.  But upon his arrival, it soon becomes clear that everyone in the town is keeping a deadly secret.  Although the townspeople try to keep Kipps from learning their tragic history, he soon discovers that the house belonging to his client is haunted by the ghost of a woman who is determined to find someone and something she lost... and no one, not even the children, are safe from her vengeance.

My Thoughts:
What a great ghost story!  It has all the elements I like - loads of atmosphere, Gothic style chills, and well-developed, interesting characters with motive.  Yes, this is a traditional style ghost story - heavy on mystery and figuring out what is going on and why it is happening - but there are plenty of scares present, and the ghosts are suitably frightening and unnerving. 

I'll admit I bought it for the combination of the interesting sounding story and the presence of Daniel Radcliffe, and he didn't disappoint me.   I think he has a great future as an actor and found his performance to be very convincing.  The production designs are all wonderfully creepy, and the score contributes to the feelings of anticipation, dread and isolation. 

Well worth a watch if you like this style of ghost story. 

Overall: 4/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2014, 06:57:36 PM »
     The Woman in Black (2012/United Kingdom, United States)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:James Watkins
Writing:Jane Goldman (Screenwriter), Susan Hill (Original Material By)
Length:95 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Thematic Material and Violence/Disturbing Images
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish, Commentary

Stars:
Fisher GirlsEmma Shorey
Molly Harmon
Ellisa Walker-Reid
Sophie Stuckey as Stella Kipps

Plot:
Arthur Kipps (Daniel Radcliffe), a widowed lawyer whose grief has put his career in jeopardy, is sent to a remote village to sort out the affairs of a recently deceased eccentric. But upon his arrival, it soon becomes clear that everyone in the town is keeping a deadly secret. Although the townspeople try to keep Kipps from learning their tragic history, he soon discovers that the house belonging to his client is haunted by the ghost of a woman who is determined to find someone and something she lost... and no one, not even the children, are safe from her vengeance.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this one quite a bit... it has a good story with lots of atmosphere. This one pulls you in quickly and keeps your attention through-out. Going into this one I was tired and worried about staying awake for it... but the story kept me interested enough to that I was able to stay awake for the entire thing. It is a good ghost story... well worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:

Scorecard:
Movies: 14
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2014, 10:54:56 PM »
I really enjoyed The Woman in Black when I watched it too.  Very creepy type of ghost story that doesn't resort to lots of gore.  I originally wanted to see it because of Radcliffe too.  :)  I think it is a lot more talented than some people have given him credit for.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2014, 12:01:22 AM »
I whole heartedly agree on both the film (creepy) and Radcliffe
Thank you
David

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2014, 03:02:26 AM »

The Skull
Year of Release: 1965
Directed By: Freddie Francis
Starring: Peter Cushing, Patrick Wymark, Christopher Lee
Genre: Horror

Overview:
The Skull weaves a chilling tale surrounding the real-life terrors of the Marquis de Sade. Featuring outstanding performances by Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, this tale introduces Dr. Christopher Maitland (Cushing) who purchases the infamous skull of the Marquis de Sade, a decision that he was warned against by his good friend - and previous skull owner - Matthew Phillips (Lee). The question is whether or not Dr. Maitland will live to regret his decision.

My Thoughts:
This was a flawed, but still interesting film about a skull possessed of an evil spirit and what befalls an occult collector who acquires it. The performances are excellent. Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are always a pleasure to watch, and they don't disappoint here. If you enjoy those two actors, that is enough to recommend the film. Patrick Wymark also turns in a great performance as the shady Marco. It's a low budget film, and sometimes the effects are a bit obviously low budget, but the sets are handsome and Cushing's occult study is suitably crammed with creepy things. The dream sequence is a bit of a standout, if for nothing else than Cushing's performance in it and the wtf moment that it enters the film. The pov shots from inside the skull feel gimicky, and the film feels a bit overlong - the idea probably would have worked better as an anthology film, following the skull through the centuries instead of jumping directly from disinterment (and right after) to Cushing's era. Still, I enjoyed the film and would recommend it if you like Lee and Cushing.

Overall: 3/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2014, 03:07:48 AM »
    The Skull (1965/United Kingdom)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Legend Films
Director:Freddie Francis
Writing:Robert Bloch (Story By), Milton Subotsky (Screenwriter)
Length:83 min.
Rating:NR
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:

Stars:
Peter Cushing as Christopher Maitland
Patrick Wymark as Marco
Jill Bennett as Jane Maitland
Nigel Green as Inspector Wilson
Patrick Magee as Police Surgeon
Peter Woodthorpe as Travers

Plot:
This two-disc collection is filled with suspense and terror as it features classic, bone-chilling tales from two of the biggest horror powerhouse producers: Hammer Studios and Amicus Productions. The Skull weaves a chilling tale surrounding the real-life terrors of the Marquis de Sade. Featuring outstanding performances by Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, this tale introduces Dr. Christopher Maitland (Cushing) who purchases the infamous skull of the Marquis de Sade, a decision that he was warned against by his good friend - and previous skull owner - Matthew Phillips (Lee). The question is whether or not Dr. Maitland will live to regret his decision.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
While it did have it's moments... I just couldn't get into this one. Actually found it a little on the weird side. But to be fair when we watched this film I was already tired and dozing in and out of sleep for the first half of the movie so I could have missed something important.

My Rating:

Scorecard:
Movies: 15
Pete