Author Topic: X-Men: Days of Future Past  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
X-Men: Days of Future Past
« on: August 03, 2014, 04:23:33 AM »

I went to see X-Men: Days of Future Past on opening day - I'm just behind on posting about it here.  The movie is really good and definitely worth checking out, though a few things could be a tad confusing.

This movie is sort of a sequel to all the previous X-Men movies and sort of a prequel to them as well, depending on which time period events are taking place in.  It starts out in the future, with the Sentinels hunting down mutants.  A few of them, including Kitty Pride and Bishop, have discovered a way to fight them by using a type of time travel to keep going back in time to warn themselves.  That group meets up with Professor Xavier, Wolverine, Storm, Iceman, and Magneto and a plan is developed.  It is decided that Wolverine's consciousness will be sent back in time to 1973.  Wolverine will then have to find Charles and Erik and convince them to work together to prevent something from happening that ultimately leads to the creation of the Sentinels.  Wolverine is doing the time travel because he is the only one who will be able to survive traveling that far back. 

The movie is very entertaining and done well.  It is much better than X-Men 3 and definitely worth checking out.  The time travel aspect could make some things a little more confusing, especially if you start thinking too much about the implications of certain things.  It is sort of like they are using the changes in 1973 to wipe out certain things that happened previously.  In at least one case, that is probably a good thing.  I know there are plans for at least one more movie, so I guess that will show for sure what has been....ummm...wiped out by the time travel.  It hasn't undone the changes made my X-Men First Class to the backstories of a few characters though, not to mention the changes to timelines - meaning characters showing up long before they were supposed to.

The movie is based on one of the more well known story arcs from the comic books.  I know the basics of the story even though I never read the comics, so I am aware of what has been changed.  For the most part, the changes work fine, and in some cases, make sense.  It is an entertaining story that works well for a movie.  Certain parts of it wouldn't have worked as well if the story had been told earlier because of the limitations with special effects at those points. 

The characters are interesting and entertaining overall, though I did have issues with the younger Charles for a bit.  A few things just weren't right there, but I got past it.  There are younger versions of a few characters.  The cast is good.  I really liked seeing Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan as Charlies and Erik again. 

4.5 out of 5 stars

I did post a longer review on my movie blog.