Author Topic: Near Dark  (Read 2336 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Near Dark
« on: June 01, 2014, 08:34:40 PM »
     Near Dark (1987/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Lions Gate Films
Director:Kathryn Bigelow
Writing:Eric Red (Writer), Kathryn Bigelow (Writer)
Length:94 min.
Rating:R
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: PCM: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Adrian Pasdar as Caleb
Jenny Wright as Mae
Lance Henriksen as Jesse
Bill Paxton as Severen
Jenette Goldstein as Diamondback
Tim Thomerson as Loy

Plot:
Country boy Caleb Colton (Adrian Pasdar) whittles away the quiet rural nights hunting local girls – but when he falls prey to the mysterious and beautiful Mae (Jenny Wright), Caleb unknowingly becomes the hunted. Mae is no ordinary girl, Caleb soon learns: she is part of an outlaw band of vampires, and their love is about to lure him into a terrifying world of bloodlust, mayhem and absolute horror. Will Caleb pay the ultimate price for love and eternal life – or will he find a way to defeat the evil growing inside him each night NEAR DARK?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
This is a movie that has seemed to fly in under the radar for most people. I discovered it while I was working as a manager of the local video store.... and everyone I ever suggested it to never even heard of it. But yet of the MANY people that took a chance on this movie because of my recommendation... I don't remember ever hearing bad feedback. As far as I remember everyone enjoyed it!

One of the things I like about this movie is that even though while watching it there is no doubt in your mind this is a vampire movie... they never once use the word vampire in the movie... and you never once see a set of fangs. Another thing I like in this movie is the awesome bar fight scene. I have seen a few bar fight scenes in horror movies... and this is one of the best. Then you have the added bonus that one of the stars of this movie is Lance Henrikson.... a great genre actor of the time.

Another thing about it is the simplicity of it all. The portrayal of the vampires... and even the cure for vampirism is so simple that it just makes sense. This is one film that if by chance you have never seen I highly recommend it. Definitely a must see for any vampire fan.

If there is one thing I would change about this blu-ray release (other then give us more extras!... never enough extras!) it would have to be the cover art they used! looking at this cover art and I think films like Twilight. Like they are trying to pique the interest of teen girls in this film. As irritating as that seems... lets face it... that really is of little importance. The most important thing would be having the film itself.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Near Dark
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 06:41:26 AM »
I never really liked the "cure" in this film. It seemed too easy. But then, the biology of vampires is not the subject of this film, so it's easily forgiven.

My favorite scene is the bar fight as well. ;D