Author Topic: Veronica Mars  (Read 4168 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Veronica Mars
« on: May 23, 2014, 05:33:05 PM »
     Veronica Mars (2014/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Warner Home Video
Director:Rob Thomas
Writing:Rob Thomas (Screenwriter), Diane Ruggiero (Screenwriter), Rob Thomas (Story By), Rob Thomas (Original Characters By)
Length:108 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Sexuality Including References, Drug Content, Violence and Some Strong language
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Kristen Bell as Veronica Mars
Jason Dohring as Logan Echolls
Enrico Colantoni as Keith Mars
Chris Lowell as Stosh "Piz" Piznarski
Percy Daggs III as Wallace Fennel
Tina Majorino as Cindy "Mac" Mackenzie

Plot:
Years after walking away from her past as a teenage private eye, Veronica Mars get pulled back to her hometown, an ex-boyfriend with baggage and an unraveling murder mystery.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
I just finished watching this one (and all the extras). And I must say... as a huge fan of the TV Series...I loved enjoyed every minute of the film. While I think the movie can hold it's own as a good movie if you never seen the TV Series. But it is a must see/must own for any/all fans of the TV series. I can't think of many regulars of the series that didn't at least have a cameo here. But the downside to that is that most the characters has less screen time then you would want them to have. I don't think I really need to say this... but this is one that I highly recommend. Though (while what is there is great) I would have liked to seen a few more extras. Though I did love the hour long making of!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Veronica Mars
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 09:01:14 PM »
I don't know if the show was ever broadcast here in Sweden. If it was, I missed it. After all the talk about the show, I decided to get season 1 and give it a try. Then I found that I could get all 3 seasons for SEK 199 (just short of $30), so I went for that instead. I'm on S1Ep5 at the moment. Looks good so far. My resolution that I shouldn't buy more TV shows than I have time to watch just went out the window...  :-[

By the time I'm done with all 3 seasons the price for the movie should have come down. I'm pretty sure I'll have to get that one as well. The fact that you didn't like it at all might sway me, though, Pete. ;)

MEJHarrison

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 12:26:37 AM »
It's an odd show.  Whenever I tell someone about it, it always goes like this:

"It's a show about a high school gift who solves mysteries.  But trust me, it's WAY better than it sounds!"

It's just hard to describe without it sounding silly.  I have similar problems describing Downton Abbey in such a way to make it sound appealing.  You wouldn't guess it from a short description.  At least not with the yahoo's I work with.  :laugh:

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 05:24:39 AM »
Yeah, I'm usually very wary about anything with "teenagers" (not that anyone in VM is actually a teenager). Especially, but not limited to, horror movies where the description starts with something like "4 teenagers go camping". That's me losing interest right there. Of course that kind of thinking sometimes backfires. I was sceptical of Buffy at first...  :-[

It's all a matter of the quality of the scripts, of course. It seems that ever since AIP discovered the teenage market back in the mid fifties, teenage audiences have been considered an easy mark. Make a show/movie with teenagers in it, and the teenagers will watch it. Well, perhaps that was more true back in the days of the drive-in cinemas, but to some extent it still seems to be true.

Anyway, Veronica Mars seems to be well written. So it only took me 10 years to discover the show. I'm a slow adopter, sometimes.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 06:08:16 AM »
I missed Veronica Mars when it was originally on.  I think I finally got it after reading more about it here.

I enjoyed the movie.  I hope to write about it and post either on my blog or this one site where I've been posting some stuff at...it is not like Epinions unfortunately...there is a lot of crap there.  But it is a way to still post stuff and earn a little.  I tend to stick to reading stuff from the Epinions people that have gone there.  Much better quality.  Anyway, I have just been having a bit of a ...motivation issue lately.  But I'm working at it.

There is a book that is set not long after the movie.  I just got the book, but haven't read it yet. 

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 06:58:22 AM »
There is a book that is set not long after the movie.  I just got the book, but haven't read it yet. 

I'm 2/3 through it and it captures spirit of the show really well.

It features the return of
(click to show/hide)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 08:26:22 AM »
BTW: That awkward dancer guy in the bar at 36:15. That's Dax Shepard, that's Kristen's actual husband. ;)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »
I used to watch VM (the tv-show) when it was on tv back in the day. And i enjoyed it quite a bit. So my question is simple for you guys. Is the movie worth the full buck for it? Or should i wait for the price to drop? Thanks!
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 09:43:08 PM »
I used to watch VM (the tv-show) when it was on tv back in the day. And i enjoyed it quite a bit. So my question is simple for you guys. Is the movie worth the full buck for it? Or should i wait for the price to drop? Thanks!

The movie is like a (good) high school reunion. Your happy to see everyone again, to learn of what they have become. If you want that feeling, go buy it.
Karsten

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 10:58:29 PM »
Well, thanks. I'm looking forward to check it out sometime tho. But i'm not sure if thats worth $40 for the movie.
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 11:01:33 PM »
Well, thanks. I'm looking forward to check it out sometime tho. But i'm not sure if thats worth $40 for the movie.

Where are you ordering? The BR - which is region-free - costs $15 at Amazon.com
Karsten

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 11:10:05 PM »
Then i wouldnt order it. For the price i said it would be from a local store here in Norway. And the price in the store is about $40 roughly. www.platekompaniet.no is the name.
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 12:11:28 AM »
Then i wouldnt order it. For the price i said it would be from a local store here in Norway. And the price in the store is about $40 roughly. www.platekompaniet.no is the name.
Sounds expensive. It's NOK 179 at cdon.no.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 03:13:42 AM »
BTW: That awkward dancer guy in the bar at 36:15. That's Dax Shepard, that's Kristen's actual husband. ;)

Yup, I knew that. 
I'm thinking I'll read the book next.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 03:11:37 PM »
Sounds expensive. It's NOK 179 at cdon.no.

Yeah, i saw that. plus NOK 30 for the shipping fee. So it cost me about NOK 200 total. And thats expensive for a movie IMHO ;) I will check amazon or wait for platekompaniet to have some of those 'buddy offers' as they do once in a while.
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas