Author Topic: Road to Singapore  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Road to Singapore
« on: May 18, 2014, 05:18:03 AM »

Road to Singapore
Year of Release: 1940
Directed By: Victor Schertzinger
Starring: Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Dorothy Lamour
Genre: Comedy, Romance, Musical

Overview:
The 1940s' hottest movie trio—Bob Hope, Bing Crosby and Dorothy Lamour—chart a course for comedy and romance in Road to Singapore.

Running out on his stuffy desk job and marriage-minded girlfriend, Josh Mallon (Crosby) links up with sailor-buddy Ace (Hope) and sets sail for the farthest point on the map—Singapore. On the exotic island of Kaigoon, they meet Mima (Lamour), a lovely young dancer cruelly dominated by her whip-cracking partner-fiancé (Anthony Quinn). Josh and Ace rescue Mima, who moves into their shack, cooks, cleans, sings—and quickly becomes the object of their wise-cracking war for her affections.

A top grosser of 1940, Singapore was the initial entry in the legendary Hope-Crosby-Lamour Road series that delighted movie goers for over 20 fun-filled years.

My Thoughts:
This is a fun bit of funny, escapist fluff.  Our heroes, two chaps looking for nothing but good times, run away from marriage, work and high society to live as island bums.  There they meet a girl who just might make them change their bachelor ways, if only she didn't make them both feel that way.  The jokes are funny, and Crosby and Hope have great chemistry together and their banter is clever.  Lamour works well with both of them, and is probably about as believably exotic as they were going to cast in 1940.  It feels like there are a lot of songs for the short runtime, but other than that, no complaints.  If you're looking for an amusing little film, and you like old movies, Bing Crosby and/or Bob Hope, this isn't a bad choice.

Bechdel Test: Fail

Overall: 3/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Road to Singapore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 01:40:32 PM »
It was a fun film... though a little too much music for my taste.  :P
Pete

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 02:00:41 PM »
... with Hope, Crosby and Lamour, what did you expect?

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 04:31:44 AM »
Road to films are great.  Some great comedy bits and fun give/take between Crosby and Hope.  Dorthy Lamor, quite a beauty, added a bit of class to the always classless crosby and hope <G>.  These are some of the earlier instances of the actors talking to the audience (breaking the fourth law).  This became more and more popular after this.
Great set of films and never feel like I was cheated buying these.
Thank you
David

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 04:44:03 AM »
I thought I had all of them, but turns out I'm missing Road to Hong Kong
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 02:31:30 PM »
I thought I had all of them, but turns out I'm missing Road to Hong Kong

I have a feeling not for long. :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 09:16:24 PM »
I saw one of the Road movies on tv ...maybe almost 2 years ago.  I have no idea which one now, but I liked what I saw.  I did have one of them on my DVR, but that was lost in March.  I can't remember if I said anything before or not, but I ended up switching from cable to DIRECTV...and my DVR was like 80% full at the time.