Author Topic: Look!, Up in the Sky!... It's Superman!  (Read 5328 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Look!, Up in the Sky!... It's Superman!
« on: May 13, 2014, 02:44:45 PM »

Look!, Up in the Sky!... It's Superman!
After getting that awesome Blu-ray set yesterday there was no way I couldn't do a Live-Action Superman marathon of all the films (yes I do also have Man of Steel on Blu-ray as well). But I am planning on doing this marathon differently. Lets face it, I have no way of knowing when I will be off work to put any type of schedule on this thing... so this thread will be open and active till I get through all the films.

Also I may be doing more then 1 review per disc. Some of the bonus materials in this set are features in their own right. So I will be reviewing everything I consider a main feature to the set. But I really don't know what all I will be reviewing until I get into the set... for example...

I know I will be reviewing...

Disc 1:
- Superman: The Movie: Theatrical Edition
- The Making of Superman: The Movie [1978 TV special]
- Superman and the Mole-Men [1951 feature]
- Warner Bros. Cartoons (Not sure if individual reviews or collective)
--- Super-Rabbit [1943 WB cartoon]
--- Snafuperman [1944 WB cartoon]
--- Stupor Duck [1956 WB cartoon]

Disc 2:
- Superman: The Movie: Expanded Edition

Disc 3:
- Superman II: Theatrical Edition
- The Making of Superman II [1980 TV special]
- Fleischer Studios’ Superman (Not sure if individual reviews or collective)
--- Superman
--- The Mechanical Monsters
--- Billion Dollar Limited
--- The Arctic Giant
--- The Bulleteers
--- The Magnetic Telescope
--- Electric Earthquake
--- Volcano
--- Terror on the Midway

Disc 4:
- Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
- Famous Studios’ Superman (Not sure if individual reviews or collective)
--- Japoteurs
--- Showdown
--- Eleventh Hour
--- Destruction, Inc
--- The Mummy Strikes
--- Jungle Drums
--- The Underground World
--- Secret Agent

Disc 5:
- Superman III
- The Making of Superman III (1983 TV Special)

Disc 6:
- Superman IV The Quest For Peace
- Superman 50th Anniversary Special (1988 TV Special)

Disc 7:
- Superman Returns

Disc 8:
- Look, Up in the Sky! The Amazing Story of Superman
- The Adventures of Superpup [1958 TV pilot]

Then I will finish it off with a review for Man of Steel.

So I expect this to be a long running marathon... getting to what I can as I can. Not something I will zip right through in a matter of days. But the good thing is I been wanting to watch these films again anyway! So I am hoping this will be a fun, if not lengthy marathon!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:03:40 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Look!, Up in the Sky!... It's Superman!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
     Superman: The Movie: Original 1978 Theatrical Release (1978/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer
Warner Home Video
Director:Richard Donner
Writing:Jerry Siegel (Original Characters By), Joe Shuster (Original Characters By), Mario Puzo (Story By), Mario Puzo (Screenwriter), David Newman (1937) (Screenwriter), Leslie Newman (Screenwriter), Robert Benton (Screenwriter)
Length:143 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Peril, Some Mild Sensuality and Language
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, German: Dolby Digital: Mono, Italian: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Danish, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Marlon Brando as Jor-El
Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor
Christopher Reeve as Superman / Clark Kent
Ned Beatty as Otis
Jackie Cooper as Perry White
Glenn Ford as Pa Kent

Plot:
Richard Donner's big-budget blockbuster Superman: The Movie is an immensely entertaining recounting of the origin of the famous comic book character. Opening on Krypton (where Marlon Brando plays Superman's father), the film follows the Man of Steel (Christopher Reeve) as he's sent to Earth where he develops his alter-ego Clark Kent and is raised by a Midwestern family. In no time, the movie has run through his teenage years, and Clark gets a job at the Daily Planet, where he is a news reporter. It's there that he falls in love with Lois Lane (Margot Kidder), who is already in love with Superman. But the love story is quickly sidetracked once the villainous Lex Luthor (Gene Hackman) launches a diabolical plan to conquer the world and kill Superman. Superman: The Movie is filled with action, special effects and a surprising amount of humor.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Commentary
  • 1951 Theatrical Feature "Superman and the Mole-Men" Starring George Reeves
  • Classic Cartoons "Super-Rabbit", "Snafuman" and "Stupor Duck"

My Thoughts:
This movie... with Christopher Reeve in the starring role... was how I grew up knowing Superman to be. At the time I was more used to seeing him in the role more so then George Reeves. I believe this came from a time that I did not like to watch anything that was in Black and White.... yes... I was one of those people at one time. But I have sense learned there is a lot of great entertainment out there in Black and white... and now have all the George Reeves Superman episodes... including the early Black and White ones. But I think... to me at least... when I think Superman... I still picture Christopher Reeve.

My favorite scene in this movie... one that makes me laugh even to this day... has to be the scene when Superman is seen for the very first time. Especially when he flies up the side of the building to catch Lois Lane... saying "Don't Worry Miss, I got you."... and she comes back with... "You got me... Who's got you!!!"... I don't know what it is about it... but I love that line.

I know there is some that don't like how Christopher Reeve portrayed Clark Kent. But you know... while I understand that point of view... I find it very entertaining and fun to watch. I also felt it added to the whole Clark Kent can't be Superman... even more so then the glasses for a costume. I have to say... I think I like the entire cast for these movies. Especially Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor and of course there is Marlon Brando as Jor-El.

Also I have to say I liked how they had some nodes to past incarnations of Superman when they showed a young Lois Lane riding the train with her parents early in the movie. They had Noel Neil as her mother... who was of course Lois Lane in Adventures of Superman and Kirk Alyn as her father... who was of course Clark Kent/Superman in the old movie serials.

While this is a great film... one I have always enjoyed over multiple viewings... there is parts I didn't care for. The main one being the scenes where Lois is interviewing Superman towards the beginning of the film. Especially the scenes where they are flying together and you here the voice-over of Lois reciting the poem "Can You Read My Mind." To me this scene slowed down the film almost to the point of bordom. Though it is short enough not to effect the film to badly.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 08:00:46 PM »

Super-Rabbit
Bugs eats super carrots in Professor Canafrazz's laboratory which transform him. As Super Rabbit he goes to Texas to fight notorious rabbit hater Cottontail Smith.

My Thoughts:
I grew up watching Bugs Bunny... so I enjoyed watching this nice added feature to the set. It is an entertaining little short.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 09:06:58 PM »

Superman and the Mole Men
Reporters Clark Kent and Lois Lane arrive in the small town of Silsby to witness the drilling of the world's deepest oil well. The drill, however, has penetrated the underground home of a race of small, furry people who then come to the surface at night to look around. The fact that they glow in the dark scares the townfolk, who form a mob, led by the vicious Luke Benson, intent on killing the strange people. Only Superman has a chance to prevent this tragedy. 

Stars:
George Reeves as Clark Kent / Superman
Phyllis Coates as Lois Lane
Jeff Corey as Luke Benson
Walter Reed as Bill Corrigan
J. Farrell MacDonald as Pop Shannon

My Thoughts:
This film was originally shown in the theater back in 1951 and was a trial run for the TV Series The Adventures of Superman. It was also shown as a 2 part episode on TV. It is a good film. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Worth the hour put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 09:32:40 PM »

Snafuperman

Private Snafu mocks his peers who study, saying that he would rather fight. His guardian angel (1st class with a cigar) grants him the powers and a comical version of a Superman suit, which he promptly uses to create more problems than when he didn't have any powers!

This is one of 26 Private SNAFU ('Situation Normal, All Fouled Up') cartoons made by the US Army Signal Corps to educate and boost the morale of the troops.

Originally created by Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss) and Phil Eastman, most of the cartoons were produced by Warner Brothers Animation Studios - employing their animators, voice actors (primarily Mel Blanc) and Carl Stalling's music.

My Thoughts:
This is the first SNAFU short I ever seen.  The first thing I noticed is they didn't do much to clean this one up. It is filled with scratches and dust. Other then that it is a pretty cute short.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 10:43:29 PM »

The Making of Superman: The Movie [1978 TV special]
Ernie Anderson narrates this look at the making of Richard Donner's blockbuster 1978 film. Behind-the-scenes footage, as well as scenes from the film, reveal just how audiences were able to "believe a man can fly". This program features interviews with key cast and crew.

My Thoughts:
A nice documentary on the film. It encompasses the entire film. Though most things covered I already knew. Not much of anything new here. Over-all I enjoyed it but don't think it is something I would revisit again anytime soon.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 11:00:01 PM »

Stupor Duck
In a parody of Superman in which Daffy Duck plays Cluck Trent by day and Stupor Duck by night, he runs through town searching for an imaginary villain.

My Thoughts:
This Looney Tunes short I liked a lot. Dare I say even more then the earlier Bugs Bunny short? Well what can I say... there is just something fun about seeing Daffy Duck getting clobbered. Matter fact this is my favorite animated short on this disc.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 11:05:15 PM »
Well that is everything on the first disc (except for the Commentary Track)... so I think this is a good stopping point for today. I will try to get to disc 2 after work tomorrow. :)
Pete

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 07:09:40 AM »
I have had my eyes on this BD set for a while, but I managed to resist. I mean, who really needs Superman IV on blu-ray? But now you pushed my curiosity over the limit. Why can't you stick to buying uninteresting stuff...?  ;)

Btw, I noticed that 6 people on Letterboxd have given Superman IV a 5 star rating!  They must be kidding  ::)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 10:01:35 AM »
LOL... sorry Gunnar.

Now I know different people has different opinions and tastes on movies... but 5 stars for Superman 4!?! I couldn't even do that for the first one!  ::)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 02:03:35 AM »
     Superman: The Movie: Extended Cut (1978/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Warner Home Video
Director:Richard Donner
Writing:Jerry Siegel (Original Characters By), Joe Shuster (Original Characters By), Mario Puzo (Story By), Mario Puzo (Screenwriter), David Newman (1937) (Screenwriter), Leslie Newman (Screenwriter), Robert Benton (Screenwriter)
Length:151 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Peril, Some Mild Sensuality and Language
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, German: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Music Only: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Danish, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish

Stars:
Marlon Brando as Jor-El
Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor
Christopher Reeve as Superman / Clark Kent
Ned Beatty as Otis
Jackie Cooper as Perry White
Glenn Ford as Pa Kent

Plot:
Richard Donner's big-budget blockbuster Superman: The Movie is an immensely entertaining recounting of the origin of the famous comic book character. Opening on Krypton (where Marlon Brando plays Superman's father), the film follows the Man of Steel (Christopher Reeve) as he's sent to Earth where he develops his alter-ego Clark Kent and is raised by a Midwestern family. In no time, the movie has run through his teenage years, and Clark gets a job at the Daily Planet, where he is a news reporter. It's there that he falls in love with Lois Lane (Margot Kidder), who is already in love with Superman. But the love story is quickly sidetracked once the villainous Lex Luthor (Gene Hackman) launches a diabolical plan to conquer the world and kill Superman. Superman: The Movie is filled with action, special effects and a surprising amount of humor.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Featurettes
  • Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Screen Tests
  • Additional Music Cues

My Thoughts:
Just finished watching this one. There is several short additions to the film in this edition... but nothing that changes anything in the storyline. But still a great movie... even after watching it two days in a row.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 04:01:23 AM »

Btw, I noticed that 6 people on Letterboxd have given Superman IV a 5 star rating!  They must be kidding  ::)

Seriously?  What the heck were they smoking?  Or drinking? 

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 04:44:39 AM »
I'm waiting for a review of this Superman movie :whistle:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
 :laugh:  Somehow I missed that one.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 05:08:57 PM »
It was shown only one time on TV (it's a TV movie) in 1975 and at 11h30 PM. That someone post it on Youtube is quite impressive considering  :D

And it's better than Superman 3 and Superman Return :thumbup: