Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVD Collection  (Read 18980 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVD Collection
« on: April 18, 2008, 05:21:14 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Unwatched DVD Collection
This weekend I felt like watching some of the movies I never seen before. (at least not on DVD) Besides... with my Birthday coming up next month I am pretty sure I will be needing to make some more room on my unwatched shelf. So... this weekend I decided to watch...

Bee Movie
Everyone is buzzing for 'BEE MOVIE', the hit comedy from creator and comic icon Jerry Seinfeld. Ambitious young worker bee Barry B. Benson soars out into the world with the high-flying pollen jocks in search of nectar and adventure. But when he breaks one of the cardinal rules of beedom and speaks to humans, Barry sets off an un-bee-lievable chain of events that prove even a little bee can make a big difference!

My Thoughts:
I normally wait till I can watch the animated films so I can watch them with my daughter. This time however I decided to go ahead and watch this one without her. A friend gave me this disc so I wanted to be sure to watch it and let him know what I thought of it as soon as possible. I thought this was a very cute movie. I enjoyed it... and it was a nice change from what I usually watch. And it was good seeing (or hearing) Jerry Seinfeld in something new. I believe this is the first thing I seen (or heard) him in since his sitcom was canceled. Even though I watched this one now... I will still probably watch it again when Brittany decides she wants to watch it. To my friend Roger, Thanks again for the disc... I am sure Brittany will enjoy it just as much (if not more) as I did.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVD Collection
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 08:32:32 PM »

Big Fish
An adventure as big as life itself.

Throughout his life, Edward Bloom (Ewan McGregor) has always been a man of big appetites, enormous passions and tall tales. In his later years, portrayed by five-time Best Actor Oscar nominee Albert Finney (Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Erin Brockovich, 2000), he remains a huge mystery to his son, William (Billy Crudup). Now, to get to know the real man, Will begins piecing together a true picture of his father from flashbacks of his amazing adventures in this marvel of a movie.

My Thoughts:
OK... bear with me on this one. As I just finished watching it... and I sit here still not 100% sure what I thought of this one... well aside from the fact that I did enjoy it. This movie is definitely on the weird side... but it is a fun watch. That being said I am not sure this one has very much replay value... atleast not to me. It just felt like something that was fun to watch once... but I don't  think I could enjoy it as much the second time around. But who knows... if I let enough time go by I may enjoy it again.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 01:10:54 AM »

Lady Frankenstein
When Dr. Frankenstein is killed by a monster of his own creation, his daughter and his lab assistant Marshall continue his experiments. The two fall in love and attempt to transplant Marshall's brain into the muscular body of their servant Stephen. Meanwhile, the first monster seeks revenge on the grave robbers who sold the body parts used in it creation.

My Thoughts:
This is one of the movies in one of those Low-Budget 10 movies on 5 DVDs horror boxsets... in this case the Tales of Terror box set. This one is an ok movie... nothing that really struck me as anything special. Was a bit on the slow side for my taste.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 03:53:01 PM »

Big Fish
An adventure as big as life itself.

Throughout his life, Edward Bloom (Ewan McGregor) has always been a man of big appetites, enormous passions and tall tales. In his later years, portrayed by five-time Best Actor Oscar nominee Albert Finney (Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Erin Brockovich, 2000), he remains a huge mystery to his son, William (Billy Crudup). Now, to get to know the real man, Will begins piecing together a true picture of his father from flashbacks of his amazing adventures in this marvel of a movie.

My Thoughts:
OK... bear with me on this one. As I just finished watching it... and I sit here still not 100% sure what I thought of this one... well aside from the fact that I did enjoy it. This movie is definitely on the weird side... but it is a fun watch. That being said I am not sure this one has very much replay value... atleast not to me. It just felt like something that was fun to watch once... but I don't  think I could enjoy it as much the second time around. But who knows... if I let enough time go by I may enjoy it again.

I think it's definitely worth your while having another crack at this, Pete. In a way, your reaction to the story is like the son, at least initially. Maybe if you see it again, the weirdness will fit in better.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 04:16:51 PM »
Oh yeah... it is a fun movie. And even just over night I feel like... well may not be soon but I can see myself watching it again.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 07:11:09 PM »

Damien: Omen II
Since the sudden and highly suspicious death of his parents, 12-year-old Damien has been in the charge of his wealthy aunt and uncle (Lee Grant and William Holden).

Widely feared to be the Antichrist, Damien relentlessly plots to seize control of his uncle's business empire -- and the world. Meanwhile, anyone attempting to unravel the secrets of Damien's sinister past or fiendish future meets with a swift and cruel demise.

In this chilling sequel to 'The Omen', the forces of good and evil battle each other to a taut and terrifying end.

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this sequel... was a good one... but do prefer the original movie to it. It was pretty interesting to see him in his teen years. And it did have a couple pretty cool death scenes. I have The Omen Collection boxset that includes all 4 movies. I have heard many times that parts 3 and 4 are worthless... but think I will find out today and finish off the boxset.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 08:21:24 PM »
I have heard many times that parts 3 and 4 are worthless... but think I will find out today and finish off the boxset.
The third part is not really bad, but I don't think that it was a really good end for the trilogy. Never seen the part 4, I don't considerate it as a part of the series.

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 09:35:35 PM »
Omen part 3 was at least an attempt to be a little different, though I didn't like it. Part 4 is just horrendous!

Strange. I never noticed the similarities with the Alien films before...

Part 1: Creepy, subtle, old fashioned film making. Good solid story, building on genre conventions.
Part 2: Takes the strong foundation of the first part, and raises the bar. Has more fun set-pieces without losing integrity,and expands on the mythology.
Part 3: Brave new direction, but ultimately a failure. Seems to forget what made the first two films truly great.
Part 4: Bloody awful. An utter mockery and a complete sell out. Not required viewing, even by die-hard fans.

:P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 09:35:35 PM »

Omen III: The Final Conflict
Damien Thorn (Sam Neill) has helped rescue the world from a recession, appearing to be a benign corporate benefactor. When he then becomes U.S. Ambassador to England, Damien fulfills a terrifying biblical prophecy. He also faces his own potential demise as an astronomical event brings about the second coming of Christ.

Determined to thwart his holy arch-nemesis, as well as a group of priests intent on killing him, Damien begins his most destructive rampage yet.

This story of a modern-day Armageddon will keep you riveted until its shocking end!

My Thoughts:
OK... I have heard in the past where this one and Omen IV: The Awakening pretty much sucked. So I went into this one not expecting much of anything. It turned out to be ok.... but nothing special at all... I even found myself getting bored with certain scenes. At this point it is my least favorite of the sequels. And I have to say... the ending did leave some to be desired... it definitely could be better.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 09:36:44 PM »
Whoa! Pete, check out our post times! SNAP!  :hysterical:

Here, have five snap points! :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 09:43:42 PM »
LOL.... Right back at ya!

I bet we will never see that again!  :laugh:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 09:51:11 PM »
At least we know Eric's shiny new server can handle such a cataclysmic event!   :dance:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 10:02:33 PM »
Sure it can! :D

I say now we have 2 at the same exact time.... lets see 3!   :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 10:47:13 PM »

Omen IV: The Awakening
Gene and Karen York are the living embodiment of the American dream. Rich, influential attorneys, they have everything a couple could want...except a child.

When the Yorks learn of a beautiful baby girl wanting to be adopted, they instantly fall in love with baby Delia and adopt her. But terror and destruction seem to follow Delia wherever she goes. The priest who baptized her mysteriously dies, and her nanny falls from a second-story window, impaling herself on a merry-go-round.

Soon, Delia's mother begins to question the coincidence of these catastrophes. Her thoughts can't help turn toward the biblical prophecy of Armageddon...the final confrontation between the forces of good and evil, beginning with the birth of Satan in human form.

My Thoughts:
OK... I have seen that most everyone feels that this is the worst of the entire series. So I went into it expecting nothing at all. But what I found here is a movie that I personally enjoyed very much! STEP BACK!... everyone put away your pitch-forks away... And don't even think of stringing me up. I found that this movie (at least the majority of the movie) was more of a retelling of the original movie... only with a girl... so that is how I looked at it while watching it. I didn't look at it as a continuation at all. The first thing I noticed when I watched this movie is that it starred Faye Grant... who I enjoyed in everything I have seen her in since the TV Series The Greatest American Hero. I can definitely see myself watching this one again.

OK... Now should I turn in my membership... never to return? :P
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 12:36:53 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 10:51:08 PM »
:stars: :slaphead: :suicide:

Pete, you have every right to your opinion and you can watch whatever you like. However, I regret to inform you that on this occasion you are wrong. And possibly insane.

:devil: