Author Topic: Father Goose  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Father Goose
« on: January 02, 2014, 05:32:13 AM »

Father Goose
Year of Release:  1964
Directed By:  Ralph Nelson
Starring: Cary Grant, Leslie Caron, Trevor Howard, Jack Good
Genre: Comedy, Romance, War

Overview:
Cary Grant stars in one of his funniest roles as a boozy beachcomber sitting out WWII in peace – until the Allies recruit him to be a lookout on the South Pacific Isle.  During an enemy attack, he answers a distress call and discovers a beautiful French schoolmarm (Leslie Caron) and her 7 girl students.

And so begins a hilarious battle of the sexes between a messy American, a prim Mademoiselle and 7 mischievous little girls.  Who will win is anybody's guess, but you can be sure that Father Goose delivers plenty of romantic fun and adventure along the way.

My Thoughts:
This has been a personal favorite since I first saw it on TV in 1987. This is a charming, funny film with an eminently quotable script. It's a great blend of romance, comedy with a dash of wartime action thrown in. I love Cary Grant, and his performance makes this film. His timing is impeccable and his performance, in a character distinctly different from his usual fare, is superb. Leslie Caron does a good job too, but I always find her character to be insufferable in the beginning. Still, this is a movie that I've seen numerous times and never gets old and still remains funny, even when you know the jokes. Is there higher praise for a comedy than that?

Bechdel Test:  Pass

Overall: 4/5
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:19:59 PM by Danae Cassandra »
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Father Goose
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 06:30:05 AM »
This is another great performance by Cary Grant.  Leslie Caron was fun.  Loved the storyline and the execution.  And this one almost always makes me follow up with 'Heaven Knows Mr. Allison'
Thank you
David

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 01:17:32 PM »
Yes, a really fun film. 4/5 for me, too.

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 02:20:19 PM »
I totally forgot to put the other paragraph up there.   :-[ :-[
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 05:19:57 AM »
I've seen this once...sort of. I was a little distracted when it was on.  I need to watch it properly sometime.  I do like Cary Grant.