Author Topic: A Field In England  (Read 1105 times)

VirtualScot

A Field In England
« on: January 13, 2014, 12:36:04 AM »

Dead men and dead idea's collide on a field of purgatory. Beset by fear, greed and all other manner of mortal sin. It's not a spoiler as to what can be quickly pre-established the theme's of this film are from the outset. In a black and white, low budget English civil war film. Laced in psychedelia and physiological creeps. This schizo art house affair brilliantly, and like no other contemporary peer. Directed by Ben Wheatley. If his previous work had put him in a world of his own. Then A Field In England has put him in a whole other galaxy nay universe perhaps. He has made his own path in film, and long may he continue to do so. For me the definition of a unique uncompromising visionary. This opinion though sadly can't be said for all.

Previous affairs leaving some viewers with a bitter unintelligible, convoluted taste in their mouth's. Visionary's of course are by their nature the ones who like to experiment the most. Understandable feelings of alienation arise when one walks a thin line between madness and genius. While i don't think Mr Wheatley has reached the latter (at least not yet anyway). I think his detractors should pay more heed to having an open mind. Rather than assuming such a dismissive posture.

A Field In England marks the 3rd time he (Wheatley) and Michael Smiley have collaborated. Wheatley and Smiley at this point it's safe to say are very well in tune with each other. Smiley exhibiting this in his transparent confidence playing the role of O'Neil effortlessly. Demonic and mysterious, transfixing the viewer with his other worldly properties. He's the character that seals the foreignness of this time and place. While the other actors play their respective characters dutifully. O'Niel is clearly the central character to this film. So it was important Wheatley had an actor he could trust to carry off the screen presence that was required for the role. Smiley repays this handsomely. And i hope to see them work together again in the near future.

Brave without being brash. It's clearly comfortable within it's limited means to achieve it's ends. Wheatley making the point in an interview for Film4 stating they never felt that the film was going to go over budget. A Field in England is a slice of madness by a director who feeds off it. Perhaps one day this madness might cross the line to genius. For now though i recommend you take a stroll through this field at least once. Taking care to have an open mind. Maybe you might just find an ale house at the end.

4/5
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:19:07 AM by VirtualScot »