Author Topic: Sherlock Jr.  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Sherlock Jr.
« on: December 03, 2013, 05:09:49 AM »

Sherlock Jr.
Year of Release: 1924
Directed By: Buster Keaton
Starring: Buster Keaton, Kathryn McGuire, Joe Keaton, Erwin Connelly, Ward Crane
Genre: Comedy

Overview:
Widely regarded as one of the most visually inventive silent comedies ever made, SHERLOCK JR. offers fast-paced slapstick as well as a brilliant deconstruction of the filmmaking process. Keaton stars as a movie theatre projectionist who dreams of becoming a super-sleuth and, in one breathtaking sequence, literally steps into the screen to bring his fantasies to life.

My Thoughts:
A good friend gave this to me for my birthday, and I promised him I would watch it before the end of the year.  This was a great film! It's clever and imaginative, artistic, smart, and very funny. The gags and their timing are perfect, the stunts make you sit back in amazement, knowing that Keaton did his own stunts, and Keaton's sad little everyman is one of the best characters of the silent era. Yes, the technical aspects are dazzling, with all of the inventive special effects and camera tricks that Keaton employs here, but most of all it's a really good film. Did I mention funny? I'm sure I did - and I will again. It's a really, really funny film.  I'm not sure how it could be made better.  Highly recommended for any fan of silent comedy - or anyone who wants to try a silent comedy.

Bechdel Test:  Fail

Overall: 4.5/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Sherlock Jr.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 06:49:27 PM »
May have to check this one out.
Pete