Author Topic: The 2013 Pilot Review  (Read 5574 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
The 2013 Pilot Review
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »
Trophy Wife

Trophy Wife @ IMDb
Trophy Wife @ Wikipedia

Synopsis: Kate (Malin Ã…kerman, Watchmen) is the new "trophy wife" of twice-divorced and re-married lawyer Pete Harrison (Bradley Whitford, The West Wing) and now has to deal with his ex-wifes and his and their children.

My Opinion: It's definitely not a must-see, but it does has its charm. It's a no laugh track sitcom which I think should be the way to go for a sitcom. I decide when I find something funny and not when a taped laugh signals me to.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: The 2013 Pilot Review
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »
Ironside

Ironside @ IMDb
Ironside @ Wikipedia

Synopsis: A remake of the classic show with Raymond Burr (Perry Mason). This time Blair Underwood takes the role Robert Ironside, a cop in a wheelchair who was accidentally shot in the back by his partner a few years ago.

My Opinion: It's a cop show. Not my favourite diet per se and this one comes off completely straight. Someone else can watch it but I won't.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 11:02:16 AM »
Masters of Sex

Masters of Sex @ IMDb
Masters of Sex @ Wikipedia

Synopsis: The series tells the history of a doctor, an OB/GYN and his assistant who for the first time examine the biology of human sexuality.

My Opinion: It's based on real people and I assume is supposed to be a period piece but I found it to be rather boring. I guess it tries to draw its appeal to an American audience with nude bodies and sex scenes.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »
Dads

Dads @ IMDb
Dads @ Wikipedia

Synopsis: Laugh track sitcom with Seth Green (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and Giovanni Ribisi (Saving Private Ryan) whose character's fathers have moved in with them and are causing havoc.

My Opinion: Standard sitcom food with standard gags. If your plate is already full, this is the side dish you can do without.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 11:12:52 AM »
Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Brooklyn Nine-Nine @ IMDb
Brooklyn Nine-Nine @ Wikipedia

Synopsis: Sitcom without a laugh track revolving around a laid-back NYPD cop played by Andy Samberg (Saturday Night Live).

My Opinion: The show seemed to be promising at first but after two episodes the appeal is mostly gone already.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »
Mom

Mom @ IMDb
Mom @ Wikipedia

Synopsis: Christy (Anna Faris, The Dictator) used to be a teenage mom who has now a teenage daughter, is working as a waitress at a restaurant and is having an affair (on his side) with her boss. And then there is her mother (Allison Janney, The West Wing) who - like her daughter - is a recovering alcoholic and Violet (Christy's daughter) who's also becoming a teenage mom. A laugh track sitcom.

My Opinion: This is the newest creation by Chuck Lorre (Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory, Mike & Molly). The characters are enjoyable and grow on you over the first few episodes. I'm not completely sure about the show yet but I'm willing to give it a chance.
Karsten

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 06:17:33 PM »
I tried to watch Mom the first night it was on...I couldn't get past more than a few minutes.  I don't know..I guess I'm a little tired of Chuck Lorre creating shows with people that have drinking issues.  Too many of the characters on Too and a Half Men - I don't really watch that anymore either.  Penny drinks too much on Big Bang Theory, though maybe she is doing a little better..doesn't get drunk and almost sleep with Raj anymore anyway - I did not care for that at all.  Molly's sister in Mike & Molly and their mom...though those 2 are more funny to me than Charlie was..or really anyone on Two and a Half Men. 

Mike & Molly isn't on so far...which is bugging me a bit.  Mom is in that time slot now.  I haven't seen when Mike & Molly will be back..I thought it got renewed.  So no idea what is going on.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 06:25:07 PM »
The Blacklist

The Blacklist @ IMDb
The Blacklist @ Wikipedia

Synopsis: Raymond "Red" Reddington (James Spader, Stargate, Boston Legal) is one of the Top 10 FBI Most Wanted. And one day he simply walks into the headquarters and gets himself "caught". He presents a proposal: He helps the FBI to catch some of the most dangerous people in the world - people the FBI sometimes doesn't even know about - and in exchange he gets to work with a young female FBI profiler of his choosing.

My Opinion: This is the first real hit for me. I only caught wind of the show shortly before the season began. I watched the trailer (see below) and was immediately sold. So far I watched the first three episodes and come to really like the show and its characters.
I used to love puzzles but since TV writers don't really share my passion in the sense of that the final picture must be clear before you start I have given up trying to figure out any long-term mysteries on TV shows, for example what's really going on with Lizzy's husband. If the writers decide to, they will change his background halfway through the season anyway. *
So I limit myself to watching and enjoying one episode at a time and see how the story unfolds.
But there's one puzzle that's caught my attention: The true relationship between Red and Lizzy. It's is so blatantly obvious to any watcher that she is his daughter (whatever her official history says) that I can't help but wonder if it is in fact a red herring.

* Guess which show made me dislike such puzzles: LOST
Karsten

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 08:03:02 PM »
I think 'The Blacklist' could be a very good show.  For me right now it is good.  I do go to the trouble of recording/editing but it isn't GREAT yet.  I personally love James Spader.  I like most of his characters and he can play sleaze really well (no greater team than Denny Crane and Alan Shore) :)  As long as it doesn't become more about him than the plot I will be happy
Thank you
David

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 03:44:13 AM »
We Are Men

We Are Men @ IMDb
We Are Men @ Wikipedia

TV Line: CBS Pulls We Are Men

Synopsis: After he got stood up at the altar, Carter Thomas moves into a housing complex where he meets three other divorced men (Kal Penn, Harold & Kumar, House, M.D.; Jerry O'Connell, Sliders; Tony Shalhoub, Monk).

My Opinion: It's kind of pointless to write about a show that got cancelled after two episodes but for what it's worth I enjoyed the characters so far and I would have continued watching.
Karsten

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 04:46:26 AM »
I hadn't heard We Are Men got cancelled already.  I tried to watch the first episode..mainly because I had watched How I Met Your Mother.  After about 2 minutes - if that - , I decided to go be annoyed by Bones.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 10:38:15 AM »
Hello Ladies

Hello Ladies @ IMDb
Hello Ladies @ Wikipedia

Synopsis: An Englishman who thinks of himself as sleek but is rather awkward tries to find love in Los Angeles.

My Opinion: The series believes itself to be funny but Stuart's actions (Stephen Merchant, show creator and main character) are just painful to watch rather than funny.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 10:49:40 AM »
Super Fun Night

Super Fun Night @ IMDb
Super Fun Night @ Wikipedia

Synopsis: Non-laugh track comedy by and with Rebel Wilson who has declared Friday night as "Super Fun Night" where she goes out with her friends and tries to have fun. For this you need to know that these people don't exactly fit the "beautiful people" pattern and are awkward on top of it.

My Opinion: The most fun this show provides is the opening titles, singing "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen. Not only are the characters awkward (on purpose I hope) but it's also awkward to watch and rarely funny at all.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 11:18:27 AM »
Considering what I've seen so far this year I have to agree with what Kevin Spacey said at at the James MacTaggart lecture. The studios trow everything against a wall and see what sticks.

You should seriously consider watching this, it's 47 minutes well spent:

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:22:52 AM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 04:33:48 PM »
And not just TV but films as well.  Not often do we get a series or film that really makes you go WOW.  Some good, servicable shows ... ways to simply waste a couple hours but not really creative in any way.  There are only so many story lines and i think we passed that a long time ago ... but reboots, though not my favorite, do allow for great creativity also.  But sadly that happens all too little also.
Thank you
David