Author Topic: Marie's 2013 Halloween/Horror Marathon  (Read 9856 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Marie's 2013 Halloween/Horror Marathon
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 12:29:46 AM »
Yup..it is a fun monster type movie. 

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 06:41:47 AM »
I've watched some other Halloween related tv shows in the last week or so.  I can't remember all of them...just ones that were on tv.
I did see a few Halloween themed NCIS episodes yesterday.

Yes I know...I got behind again.  I'm going to try to work on that now. 

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 06:51:38 AM »

The Frighteners
In the sleepy little town of Fairwater, a monstrous evil has awakened...an evil so powerful, its reach extends beyond the grave. Director Peter Jackson and Executive Producer Robert Zemeckis unleash a riveting thriller with the most spectacular special effects this side of the hereafter.

For Frank Bannister (Michael J. Fox), death is a great way to make a living: ridding haunted houses of their unwelcome "guests." But he's in cahoots with the very ghosts he promised to evict! It's the perfect scam...until Frank finds himself at the center of a dark mystery. A diabolical spirit is on a murderous rampage, and the whole town believes Frank is behind it.

Boasting music by Danny Elfman, co-starring Trini Alvarado, Jeffrey Combs and John Astin, this supernatural chiller is so fiendishly entertaining, it's scary!

This movie is a little different, but I love it.  It manages to mix in a bit of comedy with the scary stuff in a way that really works.  I've seen this movie several times now and I still really enjoy it.  The story is entertaining and interesting and different from other movies.  The characters are interesting and the cast handles their parts well.

I have written about this one here before.  I've also done a longer review at Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

The Frighteners

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 07:00:42 AM »

Humanoids from the Deep
Something evil is happening in the sleepy fishing village of Noyo. Fishlike humanoid creatures spawned by mutant DNA, begin rising from the ocean looking to mate with the local women. Scientist Susan Drake (Ann Turkel) along with local fisherman Jim Hill (Doug McClure, The Land That Time Forgot) seek to investigate the cause of this invasion of creatures from the ocean floor. But when the annual Salmon Festival begins, some unwanted guests are about to crash the festivities. Also starring Vic Morrow (Message From Space), Cindy Weintraub (The Prowler) and Denise Galik (Don't Answer The Phone).

The film features an early score from Academy Award®–winning composer James Horner (Avatar, Braveheart, Titanic), who started his career with Roger Corman, and special effects/creature designs by Oscar® nominee Rob Bottin (Robocop, The Thing, Se7en, Total Recall).

I ended up picking this one up a few years ago after Jimmy posted about different Roger Corman movies being released that year.  I got some others too.  This one is a bit different, even for a Corman movie, though it does toss in something tied to genetic experiments going wrong.  The plot is not as developed as it could have been.  Things are quickly set up and then the attacks by the weird monsters start, with some more violent than others.  A few things are kind of disturbing, but the movie is entertaining overall even with the issues.  Because of the disturbing scenes - the monsters attack and rape some women - this one isn't for everyone.  I do like it overall.

I did post a longer review on Epinions a few years ago.

Humanoids From the Deep

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 07:13:38 AM »

The Woman in Black
Arthur Kipps (Daniel Radcliffe), a widowed lawyer whose grief has put his career in jeopardy, is sent to a remote village to sort out the affairs of a recently deceased eccentric.  But upon his arrival, it soon becomes clear that everyone in the town is keeping a deadly secret.  Although the townspeople try to keep Kipps from learning their tragic history, he soon discovers that the house belonging to his client is haunted by the ghost of a woman who is determined to find someone and something she lost... and no one, not even the children, are safe from her vengeance.

I was interested in this one when I first saw the trailers for it back before it was first released in theaters.  I picked up the Blu-ray when I found it cheap and finally got around to watching it. 

I really enjoyed the movie.  I think it works well as a haunted house type movie.  The house in question, Eel Marsh House, and the grounds are suitably creepy and spooky.  The house gets cut off from the local village when the tide is high.  The village is kind of creepy too, with how everyone avoids Arthur and some even try to get him to leave before he takes care of business at the house.  The story is interesting and creepy.  Things do build slower, but that works perfectly for the movie.  It allows the tension to build.  There are a few scare moments, but they really work.  This one also doesn't turn to making things gory to scare or shock the audience.  Creepy music is used at times.  Other times, silence is used..or just the sounds from somewhere in the house.  That is very effective.  Things are handled well overall I think.  I didn't exactly like something, but it fits for the story and what is going on. 

This is a good spooky movie that is definitely worth checking out if you like this type of movie.

I did post a longer review on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

The Woman in Black

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 08:27:04 AM »
Marie I'm sure you will be happy to know about that one coming next week :whistle:

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:29:13 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 08:37:12 PM »
That was not funny.
What have I done to you to deserve that?

No..thank you.  I think somehow I will manage to survive without it.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 09:11:28 PM »
But... but... the cover shout so loud that those films are scary vampires movies :laugh:

You even get a book :P

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 04:28:11 AM »
Edward is a wimpy, whiny, sissy boy of a vampire...who sparkles in sunlight like he has been doused in glitter.
Jacob is a whiny brat having a temper tantrum because Bella doesn't pick him.  And he is NOT a werewolf.  He and his "pack" completely control when they change and they remember who they are...they stay in control.  The moon has nothing to do with when they change.  They are shape shifters who forgot what a shirt is.

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 03:11:16 PM »
The biggest Twilight fan I know is my 31-year-old male coworker.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 10:20:50 PM »
I Shouldnt say this probably. But i actually enjoyed Twilight  :-[ But thats because i always had a thing for Kristen Stewart  :-[ :)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 03:27:38 AM »
I've seen the movies and ..sort of enjoyed them overall.  But they are far, far from my favorites.  I wouldn't put anyone down for liking them.
Jimmy just likes to tease me about them for some reason. :p

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 05:13:35 AM »
The biggest Twilight fan I know is my 31-year-old male coworker.
:hmmmm:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 09:59:27 PM »
I still want to write about the rest of the movies I watched.  Just the last few days got busier than I expected with some work stuff. 
Turns out the one computer at work had to be replaced to be tech compliant and all that.  Getting a few programs back on it and then updated was a little more of a ...challenge than originally anticipated.  But it is done now.  Mostly.