Author Topic: Addicted2DVD's Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon  (Read 32330 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted2DVD's Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2013, 06:37:49 PM »

Last Man Standing

3.05: Haunted House
When Vanessa tries to relive her PTA glory days by taking over the Halloween haunted house fundraiser for Boyd's school, her ideas prove too scary for him. Now, Mike must find a way to reassure Boyd and help him face his fears.

My Thoughts:
While I like this series.. I don't think it is nearly as good as Tim Allen's first series... Home Improvement. This is especially true when it comes to the Halloween episodes. When I watched last night's episode... it was entertaining enough... but I couldn't help but to think how much better the Halloween episodes were on Home Improvement. So over-all I would say this one was at best a good episode.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2013, 03:19:18 PM »
     Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Two
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer/Intro |
The Chosen One Has Only Just Begun...

After her death at the hands of The Master and a summer vacation spent with her father, Buffy returns to Sunnydale in a strangely withdrawn and snappy mood. She's also determined to break off her relationship with Angel and seems a little too eager to renew her Slayer training. But getting Angel out of her blood proves to be harder than she thought. And as the two draw even closer together, their passion erupts into a danger neither of them could have foreseen - affecting not only vampire and Slayer, but all of Buffy's friends and family, and even her Watcher...

Episodes:
1. When She Was Bad
2. Some Assembly Required
3. School Hard
4. Inca Mummy Girl
5. Reptile Boy
6. Halloween
7. Lie to Me
8. The Dark Age
9. What's My Line? - Part One
10. What's My Line? - Part Two
11. Ted
12. Bad Eggs
13. Surprise
14. Innocence
15. Phases
16. Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered
17. Passion
18. Killed by Death
19. I Only Have Eyes For You
20. Go Fish
21. Becoming, Part One
22. Becoming, Part Two

Stars:
Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers
Nicholas Brendon as Xander Harris
Alyson Hannigan as Willow Rosenberg
Charisma Carpenter as Cordelia Chase
David Boreanaz as Angel
Anthony Stewart Head as Rupert Giles

My Thoughts:
Last night I finished the second season. This is probably my favorite season of the series. Really like what they did for this season's big bad. Plus this is the season where they introduce a few good characters. We get to meet Spike and Drusilla. And I could be wrong... but if I am not mistaken this is the first time we see Oz as well. At least I don't remember seeing him in any of the season 1 episodes.

Some of my Favorite Episodes:
School Hard
Halloween
What's My Line: Parts 1 & 2
Phases

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2013, 01:43:10 PM »
     The Bad Seed (1956/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Warner Home Video
Director:Mervyn LeRoy
Writing:John Lee Mahin (Screenwriter), Maxwell Anderson (Original Material By), William March (Original Material By)
Length:129 min.
Rating:NR
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Gage Clarke as Tasker
Jesse White as Emory
Joan Croyden as Miss Fern
William Hopper as Kenneth Penmark
Paul Fix as Richard Bravo
Henry Jones as LeRoy

Plot:
Rhoda Penmark (Patty McCormack) is a well-mannered 8-year-old little lady – and an efficient, unfeeling killer. And in this spellbinding chronicle of evil, whatever Rhoda wants, she ruthlessly gets. Her mother Christine (Nancy Kelly), reluctantly made to see her offspring's moral blindness at work, is heartrendingly torn between the love for the child she bore and grief for Rhoda's victims.

From Maxwell Anderson's stage hit, The Bad Seed ticks like a time bomb under the skillful direction of Mervyn LeRoy, who cast several Broadway production originals, including Kelly (recreating the role that won her a Tony), McCormack and Eileen Heckart. Their harrowing performances captured three of this suspenseful movie's four Academy Award® nominations* – and make this thriller one of the great ones.

*1956 Nominations: Best Actress (Kelly), Supporting Actress (Heckart and McCormack) and B&W Cinematography.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I never seen this one before today. It is one that was recently recommended to me... and one a friend was kind enough to send me a copy of. I found this to be a very good film. Though it is one that starts off a bit on the slow side... but it don't take long to pull you into the story. Once it does it easily keeps your attention to the very end. This is definitely a classic that is worth watching.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2013, 03:33:02 PM »
     The Haunted History of Halloween (1997/United States)

New Video
Writing:Jeff Swimmer (Writer)
Length:45 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Harry Smith as Host

Plot:
Every October 31, pint-sized ghouls and goblins wander through neighborhoods knocking on doors and asking for treats... little do they know they're actually carrying out an ancient tradition dating back thousands of years.

Join Harry Smith of CBS's The Early Show as he leads this 3,000-year expedition through the history of the characteristically pagan holiday of Halloween. Discover how the "trick-or-treat" custom originated during the harvest festivals in ancient Ireland when food and sweets were used to coax the dead into remaining in the spirit world. Learn how Christianity tried to co-opt the celebration by turning it into All Saints Day, but how the underlying—and sometimes controversial—dark elements of the holiday have survived.

The HAUNTED HISTORY OF HALLOWEEN takes a capivating journey through the mysterious tales behind the spookiest night of the year.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is a DVD I borrowed from the library here recently. I found it had some interesting moments... but for the most part nothing special. No real big surprises... just about what you would expect from such a documentary. While I am not sorry I watched it... I would have preferred to watch one of my favorite TV Show episodes instead.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2013, 11:13:56 PM »
     Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Three
Wikipedia |Trailer/Intro |IMDb |
Buffy returns from the big city to find her friends have been battling the forces of evil without her. As she struggles to regain her mother's and her friend's trust, a new Slayer named Faith arrives in town, quickly winning over all of Buffy's friends. But Faith's arrival is just the beginning of new forces Buffy might face. For a few nights later she encounters Angel, who has somehow returned, feral and violent from the hellish demon dimension where Buffy had sent him. But the real demon Buffy must ultimately face is already on this side of the portal, preparing a special graduation day surprise for Sunnydale High.

Episodes:
1. Anne
2. Dead Man's Party
3. Faith, Hope & Trick
4. Beauty and the Beasts
5. Homecoming
6. Band Candy
7. Revelations
8. Lovers Walk
9. The Wish
10. Amends
11. Gingerbread
12. Helpless
13. The Zeppo
14. Bad Girls
15. Consequences
16. Doppelgangland
17. Enemies
18. Earshot
19. Choices
20. The Prom
21. Graduation Day (Part 1)
22. Graduation Day (Part 2)

Stars:
Charisma Carpenter as Cordelia Chase
David Boreanaz as Angel
Seth Green as Oz
Eliza Dushku as Faith
Emma Caulfield as Anya

My Thoughts:
I just finished watching the third season now. This one... while I enjoyed every moment of... isn't what I would call a favorite season. I didn't care much for the big bad for this season. But I did like how they said goodbye to High School life. This season introduces 2 more characters... first we have Faith... the newest slayer. And then we have Anya... the demon turned normal teenage girl. Not surprised... but I found myself hooked on this series again. Seems I will be starting season 4 here shortly.

Favorite Season 3 Episodes:
Faith, Hope & Trick
The Wish
Doppelgangland
The Prom
Graduation Day Parts 1 & 2

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
     Brian Keene's Ghoul (2012/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |
Image Entertainment
Director:Gregory M. Wilson
Writing:William M. Miller (Screenwriter)
Length:81 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Stephen Alderfer as Injured Miner
Tim Bell as Martin Kreider / Ghoul
Jacob Bila as Doug Keiser
Sean Braud as Miner
Chelsea Bruland as Deb Lentz
Barry Corbin as Grandfather

Plot:
Something ghastly haunts Golgotha Cemetery – an entity of unspeakable evil…and insatiable hunger. It is the summer of 1984, a time that should be full of lazy, carefree days for 12-year-old Timmy (Modern Family’s Nolan Gould) and his two best friends, Doug and Barry. But when a teenaged couple goes missing among the gravestones of the local cemetery, the bloodcurdling legend of a horrific ghoul begins to seem more like reality than myth. As the body count rises, Timmy and his friends are forced to confront their worst fears when they unearth long-buried secrets and unleash not only their personal demons…but also the one lurking underground! Based on the novel by Brian Keene comes GHOUL, a tale of terror about the convergence of monstrous inhumanity and a ravenous, inhuman monster.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a film that the Chiller Channel put out. While I have seen better.... I found this one to be worth the time put in to watch it. Kind of like a horror version of Goonies. But don't jump at it thinking it will be as good as Goonies... not so. It really is more or less an average horror TV Movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2013, 05:44:28 PM »
     Insidious (2011/United States)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:James Wan
Writing:Leigh Whannell (Writer)
Length:103 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Thematic Material, Violence, Terror and Frightening Images, and Brief Strong Language
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Patrick Wilson as Josh Lambert
Rose Byrne as Renai Lambert
Ty Simpkins as Dalton Lambert
Lin Shaye as Elise Rainier
Leigh Whannell as Specs
Angus Sampson as Tucker

Plot:
From the makers of Paranormal Activity, INSIDIOUS is the terrifying story of a family who, shortly after moving, discovers that dark spirits have possessed their home and that their son has inexplicably fallen into a coma. Trying to escape the haunting and save their son, they move again only to realize that it was not their house that was haunted.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • BD-Live

My Thoughts:
This is one that was recently given to me... just got it yesterday. It is one I never seen before. Reading other's reviews is seems this one is pretty much evenly divided between those that like it and those that don't. As I normally do... before watching the film I watched the trailer. Going by the trailer it looked like it had potential. After watching it I can say while I did enjoy it... I think it should have been better. Going by the trailer alone I would have expected more from it. Going by the reviews I have read I am not surprised. But over-all I would say this one is worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2013, 12:25:59 AM »
     Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Four
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer/Intro |
Buffy begins college feeling completely overwhelmed. But once the monsters show up, it's just like old times. Then she starts dating Riley, a handsome commando battling the same monsters. He's part of a secret organization called The Initiative and Buffy is all too happy to join the team. But she soon suspects The Initiative may be more dangerous than the monsters they are supposed to be battling...

Episodes:
1. The Freshman
2. Living Conditions
3. The Harsh Light of Day
4. Fear itself
5. Beer Bad
6. Wild at Heart
7. The Initiative
8. Pangs
9. Something Blue
10. Hush
11. Doomed
12. A New Man
13. The I in Team
14. Goodbye Iowa
15. This Year's GIrl
16. Who Are You?
17. Superstar
18. Where the Wild Things Are
19. New Moon Rising
20. The Yoko Factor
21. Primeval
22. Restless

Stars:
Seth Green as Oz
James Marsters as Spike
Marc Blucas as Riley Finn

My Thoughts:
I am now done season 4. While not as good as season 2... I did enjoy this season. The fourth season introduces us to two more major characters. One being Buffy's new boyfriend Riley... and the other being Willow's girlfriend Tara. The last time I watched the entire series was just about a year ago... so it is not surprising how I have gotten into watching the episodes again. I mostly like this season for the season long story arc... but there is a couple episodes that stood out for me. The one standing out the most is the excellent episode Hush. There is one odd thing about this season. And that is the final episode.... Restless. It is a very strange episode where we see the dreams of the group. I still can make heads or tails out of most the stuff that happens in that episode.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2013, 01:50:07 PM »
     Trick 'r Treat (2008/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Warner Home Video, Warner Premiere
Director:Michael Dougherty
Writing:Michael Dougherty (Writer)
Length:82 min.
Rating:Rated R : Horror Violence, Some Sexuality/Nudity and Language
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Dylan Baker as Steven
Rochelle Aytes as Maria
Quinn Lord as Sam/Peeping Tommy
Lauren Lee Smith as Danielle
Moneca Delain as Janet
Tahmoh Penikett as Henry

Plot:
A creepy, darkly comic celebration of the scariest night of the year from producer BRYAN SINGER (director of X-Men and Superman Returns) and writer-director MICHAEL DOUGHERTY (co-scripter of X2 and Superman Returns ). Trick 'R Treat takes the Creepshow/Tales from the Crypt approach to nefarious new depths with four interwoven tales set on Halloween night: a high school principal (DYLAN BAKER) moonlights as a vicious serial killer; the quest of a young virgin (ANNA PAQUIN) for that special someone takes a gruesome turn; a group of teens carries out a cruel prank with disastrous consequences; and a cantankerous old man (BRIAN COX) battles a mischievous trick-or-treating demon.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Animated Short: Season's Greetings with Optional Commentary

My Thoughts:
I always loved anthology horrors. While it is technically an anthology horror... it isn't the way I know anthologies at least. Instead of having 3 or 4 separate short stories along with a wraparound storyline... this one is done more like a regular movie with all the stories intertwined with each other. While not bad... I prefer the traditional format of an anthology. Now with that said... I did enjoy all the stories in it... even though I did have some of the stories figured out ahead of time. I liked the one with the girls finding dates. That storyline has Anna Paquin in it... who I find adorable. I have enjoyed her since I first saw her as Sookie in True Blood. I normally don't go for blondes... but in the case of Anna Paquin I think she looks better as a blonde. Over all I enjoyed it quite a bit.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2013, 02:04:41 PM »
     Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Five
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer/Intro |
After an unsettling encounter with Dracula, Buffy asks Giles to once again be her Watcher. Luckily he agrees, for Buffy is about to face problems far more threatening than the undead: the sudden arrival of a sister named Dawn, her mother's mysterious illness and Spike's undying devotion. Then an undefeatable demon appears, forcing Buffy to turn to an ancient Spirit Guide who tells her that love is her greatest gift - and power.

Episodes:
1. Buffy Vs. Dracula
2. Real Me
3. The Replacement
4. Out Of My Mind
5. No Place Like Home
6. Family
7. Fool For Love
8. Shadow
9. Listening To Fear
10. Into The Woods
11. Triangle
12. Checkpoint
13. Blood Ties
14. Crush
15. I Was Made To Love You
16. The Body
17. Forever
18. Intervention
19. Tough Love
20. Spiral
21. The Weight Of The World
22. The Gift

Stars:
Marc Blucas as Riley Finn
Emma Caulfield as Anya Jenkins
Michelle Trachtenberg as Dawn Summers
James Marsters as Spike

My Thoughts:
I recently finished off the 5th season. With only two more seasons to go I see no sense in not completing the series. This is a season I enjoyed quite a bit. And is the season we are introduced to Buffy's little sister Dawn. I enjoyed most the episodes... but the stand-out episode of the season has to be "The Body"... a very powerful and dramatic episode.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2013, 11:08:56 PM »
I been watching season 6 of Buffy today... sitting here right now watching Once More with Feeling. Lord help me!

Why is it that when watching the complete series of a show like this I just can't skip an episode  I really do not like? It is like I feel like I am cheating or something.  ::)
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2013, 11:16:29 PM »
I been watching season 6 of Buffy today... sitting here right now watching Once More with Feeling. Lord help me!

Why is it that when watching the complete series of a show like this I just can't skip an episode  I really do not like? It is like I feel like I am cheating or something.  ::)

One of my favorite Buffy episodes  :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2013, 11:19:53 PM »
I swear... this feels like the longest episode in the entire series!  :P
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2013, 11:31:33 PM »
I swear... this feels like the longest episode in the entire series!  :P

It actually is (if I remember correctly), not counting multi-parters  ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2013, 11:33:27 PM »
at least I am not completely crazy then. :P
Pete