Author Topic: Addicted2DVD's Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon  (Read 32323 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted2DVD's Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 01:43:17 PM »
     The Addams Family (1991/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Paramount Home Video
Director:Barry Sonnenfeld
Writing:Charles Addams (Original Characters By), Caroline Thompson (Writer), Larry Wilson (Writer)
Length:100 min.
Rating:PG-13
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Anjelica Huston as Morticia Addams
Raul Julia as Gomez Addams
Christopher Lloyd as Uncle Fester Addams
Dan Hedaya as Tully Alford
Elizabeth Wilson as Abigail Craven
Judith Malina as Granny

Plot:
Looking for something CREEPY... SPOOKY... KOOKY... and altogether OOKY?

Come join The Addams Family for the most hilarious scarefest of this season or any other! When long-lost Uncle Fester (Christopher Lloyd) reappears after twenty-five years in the Bermuda Triangle, Gomez (Raul Julia) and Morticia (Anjelica Huston) plan a celebration to wake the dead.

But Wednesday (Christina Ricci) barely has time to warm up her electric chair before Thing points out Fester's uncommonly "normal" behavior. Could this Fester be a fake, part of an evil scheme to raid the Addams fortune?

Based on Charles Addams' beloved cartoons and following the success of the hit TV series, The Addams Family is a visual funhouse, packed with plenty of treats, tricks and turns by director Barry Sonnenfeld.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Decided to watch this one today because I felt like something lighthearted and silly... plus I haven't seen it in years, as I just got the disc yesterday. And this film definitely fits the bill as silly fun. A lot of films based on old TV Series tends to just disappoint. But I think this one did a good job. It does a decent job at staying true to the series. And just plain fun to watch. While the cast all seemed to do a pretty good job... for me the stand-outs were Christopher Lloyd as Fester and Christina Ricci as Wednesday. Anyway... think it is worth checking out if you liked the series.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 03:14:23 PM »
     Night of the Creeps: Director's Cut (1986/United States)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Fred Dekker
Writing:Fred Dekker (Writer)
Length:90 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Jason Lively as Chris
Steve Marshall as J.C.
Jill Whitlow as Cynthia
Tom Atkins as Ray Cameron
Wally Taylor as Detective Landis
Bruce Solomon as Sgt. Raimi

Plot:
One of the most eagerly-awaited genre films of the 80's finally arrives on Blu-Ray™! When an alien experiment goes awry, it crashes to Earth in 1959 and infects a young college student. Twenty-seven years later, his cryogenically frozen body is thawed out by fraternity pledges...and the campus is quickly overrun by alien creatures — whose victims come back as zombies! Fred Dekker's enjoyable throwback chiller deftly mixes all sorts of genres while simultaneously having fun with them (the college and all the leading characters are named after famous horror movie directors). This jam-packed release contains the ending Dekker always intended. As an added bonus, the original theatrical ending is also included. So reach out and grab this treat for all fans of scary movies, then fire up the Blu-Ray™ player and yell, "Thrill Me!"

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • BD-Live
  • Trivia Track

My Thoughts:
You may remember I watched this one just a few months back. But this is one of my favorite classic '80s horror films. This is one I can see watching every year for my October horror marathon. I so enjoyed watching this film again! The characters are a lot of fun. Story keeps your interest from beginning to end. And the make-up effects are good too. And what I like about this blu-ray release... it has both the director's cut ending as well as the theatrical release ending... which kept the ending open to a possible sequel. I highly recommend adding this one to your collection!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 03:07:12 PM »
     The Walking Dead: The Complete Second Season: Disc 2

5. Chupacabra
Concerned for their safety, the group makes a plan – one that Hershel disagrees with adamantly. He makes it clear the group is fine to stay for now, but not indefinitely.

6. Secrets
Secrets are told and secrets are revealed. Hershel refuses to acknowledge the world’s new reality. Andrea comes out of her shell. Everyone is becoming more and more aware that “everything is food for something.”

7. Pretty Much Dead Already
Hershel sets a deadline. All secrets are out in the open. Glenn stands up for himself and Shane takes charge.

8. Nebraska
After the barn, there is much conflict among both groups of survivors, Hershel wants Rick and his group to leave immediately and Shane accuses Rick to be just as delusional as Hershel saying that Hershel knew about Sophia the whole time and hid her from the group. Dale tells Andrea to be careful about her relationship with Shane since Dale knows what kind of person Shane is and now wants him gone from the group. He also reveals this to Lori, including the fate of Otis.

Stars:
Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes
Jon Bernthal as Shane Walsh
Sarah Wayne Callies as Lori Grimes
Laurie Holden as Andrea
Jeffrey DeMunn as Dale

My Thoughts:
I finished off the second disc of season 2. And once again I must say I really enjoyed all these episodes. Even after multiple viewings I find learning the fate of Sofia is still a powerful moment. Highly recommend this series to everyone. So looking forward to season 4 starting tonight.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2013, 10:39:56 PM »
     World War Z (2013/United States)
Paramount Home Entertainment
Director:Marc Forster
Writing:Max Brooks (Original Material By), Matthew Michael Carnahan (Story By), J. Michael Straczynski (Story By), Matthew Michael Carnahan (Screenwriter), Drew Goddard (Screenwriter), Damon Lindelof (Screenwriter)
Length:116 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Intense Frightening Zombie Sequences, Violence and Disturbing Images
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Brad Pitt as Gerry Lane
Mireille Enos as Karin Lane
Daniella Kertesz as Segen
James Badge Dale as Captain Speke
Ludi Boeken as Jurgen Warmbrunn
Matthew Fox as Parajumper

Plot:
"The suspence is killer!" raves Peter Travers of Rolling Stone in this fast-paced, pulse-pounding action epic. Former United Nations investigator Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt) is in a race against time to save both his family and the world from a pandemic that is toppling governments and threatening to destroy humanity itself. David Denby of The New Yorker calls World War Z "the most gratifying action spectacle in years!"

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
When I saw so many good reviews for this one I knew I had to check it out. Though I did have reservations going into it. First it stars Brad Pitt and I never been much of a fan of his. Also my brother didn't care for it... and we do have similar tastes at times. Thankfully this is one time I didn't agree with him. Surprising I even enjoyed Brad Pitt in this one. I also like how they handled the fast zombies vs. slow zombies in this one. And finally I like how they handled the ending of the film. They obviously was trying hard to get the PG-13 rating. The one complaint I have here is there is extremely little... if any type of gore here. It seemed like they didn't even want to show much any blood. And that seems kinda weird when thinking of a zombie movie. But over all... I liked this one very much.... definitely recommended.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2013, 06:19:25 AM »
I believe the unrated version has a little more gore; it was cut out originally as they wanted the PG-13 to optimize takes at the box-office.

The film has many flaws, but I went with it when I watched it and had quite a lot of fun with it. just don't start to think abut some of those details...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 06:26:17 PM »
Just a little hint on what I am watching...

Any ideas?... I know... too obvious. :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 07:05:53 PM »
     Cat's Eye (1985/United States)
Warner Home Video, Turner Entertainment Company
Director:Lewis Teague
Writing:Stephen King (Screenwriter)
Length:94 min.
Rating:PG-13
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Drew Barrymore as Our Girl
James Woods as Morrison
Alan King as Dr. Donatti
Kenneth McMillan as Cressner
Robert Hays as Norris
Candy Clark as Sally Ann

Plot:
A wandering supernatural feline's adventures provide the linking story for Stephen King's Cat's Eye, a dead on trilogy scripted by King and directed by Lewis Teague (Cujo, The Jewel of the Nile). First up: the staff at Quitters Inc. promises to help nicotine fiend Dick Morrison (James Woods) kick the habit. If not, someone in Morrison's household might get smoked... because QI is run by a very persuasive mob family. Next comes a cliffhanger. Or a ledgehanger. Either way, a luckless gambler (Robert Hays) is forced into a bet involving a stroll around the building – on the five inch ledge encircling the 30th floor. Finally, our wayfarer kitty rescues a schoolgirl (young Drew Barrymore) from a vile, doll-sized troll. Meowvelous!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one of the first Anthology movies I ever seen... and one of my favorites. In my opinion a real horror classic! I loved how the cat in the beginning of the movie is shown running past other Stephen King greats... like.. seeing the cat getting scared by Cujo coming out from behind a fence and almost getting run over by Christine. At one point they also show a couple of the characters watching The Dead Zone on TV. This Anthology had 3 stories to it... and in this case I really enjoyed all 3 of them. I definitely recommend this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2013, 10:20:40 PM »

Happy Days

2.06: Haunted
After experiencing a few strange happenings, Richie begins to buy into the legend that the place where Ralph's Halloween party is to be held, the old Simpson house, is haunted

My Thoughts:
This is an episode I watched on Youtube. You know... I thought I seen every episode of Happy Days a hundred times... which is why I never bothered with the DVDs. But somehow this episode I don't remember ever seeing. Not sure how this is so... must have very seldomly aired on TV for some reason. Anyway... I found it to be a lot of fun to watch... and strange seeing one I don't basically remember every line of.

If you would like to check out this episode...

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 02:33:51 PM »
     Cursed: Unrated Version (2005/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Dimension Home Video, Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Director:Wes Craven
Writing:Kevin Williamson (Writer)
Length:99 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Portia de Rossi as Zela
Mya as Jenny
Shannon Elizabeth as Becky
Solar as Zipper
Daniel Mora as Jose
Kristina Anapau as Brooke

Plot:
Packed with even more intense thrills than audiences experienced in theaters, this unrated version of Wes Craven's Cursed brings you the terror of werewolves as never before! Christina Ricci (Monster), Jesse Eisenberg (The Village), Joshua Jackson (TV's Dawson's Creek), Judy Greer (The Village), and Milo Ventimiglia (TV's Gilmore Girls) find themselves caught up in an unimaginable horror! A werewolf loose in Los Angeles changes the lives of three young adults who, after being mauled by the beast, learn that the only way to break the curse put upon them is to kill the one who started it all! From the creators of Scream, this never-before-seen version is shockingly more frightening and undeniably more fun than the original release!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I watched this one before bed last night. I seen this one a couple times before. I definitely wouldn't say this is the best Werewolf movie I ever seen... but I did enjoy it. I don't know what the theatrical version was like... but this one has a nice amount of gore in it. On my first viewing I didn't care too much for the whole werewolf dog thing... but that scene has since grown on me. Over-all a good movie... worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 03:47:39 PM »
     Trilogy of Terror: Special Edition (1975/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |
MPI Home Video, Dark Sky Films
Director:Dan Curtis
Writing:JulieWilliam F. Nolan (Screenwriter), Richard Matheson (Original Material By), Millicent and ThereseWilliam F. Nolan (Screenwriter), Richard Matheson (Original Material By), AmeliaRichard Matheson (Screenwriter), Richard Matheson (Original Material By)
Length:72 min.
Rating:NR
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Karen Black as Julie/Millicent/Therese/Amelia
Robert Burton as Chad Foster
John Karlen as Thomas Amman
George Gaynes as Dr. Chester Ramsey
James Storm as Eddie Nells
Kathryn Reynolds as Anne Richards

Plot:
Legendary producer/director Dan Curtis (Dark Shadows, The Night Stalker) teams up with writers Richard Matheson (I Am Legend, The Twilight Zone) and William F. Nolan (Logan's Run, Burnt Offerings) to present three tales of horrific suspense in this made-for-television anthology that also showcases the tremendous acting talent of Karen Black (House of 1,000 Corpses, Easy Rider), who plays four distinct roles. In "Julie," an aggressive college student seduces and ultimately blackmails his seemingly shy English professor. In "Millicent and Therese," two polar-opposite sisters become increasingly hell-bent on the undoing of one another. And in "Amelia," a woman falls prey to a murderous Zuni fetish doll.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
This is a TV movie from back in the '70s.  Remembering back to when I worked at our local video store... this movie was in great demand. Unfortunately at the time I never got to see it myself as the store's copy disappeared and none of our distributors at the time could locate a new copy for us (this is back in the VHS days). So the first time I got to see this movie was when I first got it on DVD back in 2007. And I must say I enjoyed it very much!

The first story,Julie, Karen Black plays a College Professor who gets seduced and blackmailed (as the cover says). I liked how the student didn't have as much control over things as he thought he did. An enjoyable segment... but not my favorite.

The next story is Millicent and Therese where we have some sibling rivalry.  This one, while I still enjoyed it, it wasn't as good as the first one. So this one has to be my least favorite segment of the movie.

The final story, Amelia, a woman falls prey to a murderous Zuni Fetish Doll. This is my favorite segment of the entire movie. It was very well done... especially for the time. And I just couldn't help but to get a kick out of that Zuni Fetish Doll. And as much as I liked that little guy... I must say the final scene is really what clinched this segment for me.

The DVD itself While good I am a little disappointed. The audio and video is just fine. But I have a bit of a hard time with them calling this a special edition. All there is... is 2 featurettes and a commentary track. That seems to me a little slim to be calling it a special edition. But with that all said... I really enjoyed watching this movie again.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2013, 01:48:55 AM »

Tabitha

1.03: Halloween Show
Infuriated over an interview where Paul mocks witchcraft, Cassandra, an all-powerful sorceress, sends a mischivious eight-year-old "Hit Witch" to exact her revenge.

My Thoughts:
This is a fun episode to the (apparently) little known Bewitched spin-off series. In this series Lisa Hartman plays a grown-up Tabitha Stephens. The show does a pretty good job at updating the series. Unfortunately the show only lasted 12 episodes before it was canceled. One thing that I do believe they changed from Bewitched... they made Tabitha's brother Adam mortal. If I remember right in Bewitched he did have powers too. But maybe my memory is off on that.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2013, 04:41:40 PM »
     Ritual (2002/United States)
Echo Bridge Home Entertainment
Director:Avi Nesher
Writing:Curt Siodmak (Screenwriter), Ardel Wray (Screenwriter), Inez Wallace (Original Material By), Rob Cohen (Screenwriter), Avi Nesher (Screenwriter)
Length:106 min.
Rating:Rated R : Violence, Language and some Sexuality
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Jennifer Grey as Alice Dodgson
Craig Sheffer as Paul Claybourne
Daniel Lapaine as Wesley Claybourne
Kristen Wilson as Caro Lamb
Gabriel Casseus as J.B.
Tim Curry as Matthew Hope

Plot:
Jobless after having her medical license revoked, Dr. Alice Dodgson (Jennifer Grey, Dirty Dancing) accepts an offer to travel to Jamaica and treat American Paul Claybourne's (Craig Sheffer, A River Runs Through It) mysteriously ailing brother. But immediately upon her arrival, Alice finds herself immersed in the exotic rhythm and harmony of this foreign civilization...and besieged by the locals with terrifying tales of zombies and demonic possession. As her long-held faith in science clashes with her new experiences in the supernatural, Alice must ultimately submit to the strange native culture to save her patient, while fighting to escape with her own life. Also starring Tim Curry (Kinsey).

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is the first time I ever seen this one.  Matter of fact... until recently I didn't even know that Tales from the Crypt did a third film. Now if I am not mistaken I have everything done by them. I never been a big fan of films about voodoo... but this one was pretty good. Over-all I enjoyed it... even though I seen the ending coming from a mile away. Worth the time put in to watch it... but don't go in expecting too much. The Blu-ray disc has no extras what so ever... but this isn't surprising what with it coming from Echo Bridge.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2013, 06:58:41 PM »
     Addams Family Values: Widescreen Collection (1993/United States)
Director:Barry Sonnenfeld
Writing:Paul Rudnick (Writer), Charles Addams (Original Characters By)
Length:94 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Macabre Humor
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Anjelica Huston as Morticia Addams
Raul Julia as Gomez Addams
Christopher Lloyd as Fester Addams
Joan Cusack as Debbie Jellinsky
Christina Ricci as Wednesday Addams
Carol Kane as Granny

Plot:
It's love at first fright when Gomez (Raul Julia) and Morticia (Anjelica Huston) welcome a new addition to the Addams household - Pubert, their soft, cuddly, mustachioed baby boy. As Fester (Christopher Lloyd) falls hard for voluptuous nanny Debbie Jilinsky (Joan Cusack), Wednesday (Christina Ricci) and Pugsley (Jimmy Workman) discover she's a black-widow murderess who plans to add Fester to her collection of dead husbands. The family's future grows even bleaker when the no-good nanny marries Fester and has the kids shipped off to summer camp. But Wednesday still has a Thing or two up her sleeve...

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I decided to pop this one in today. Been years since I seen it. It is a fun continuation... I did enjoy it. But not quite as much as I did the first part. In this one Carol Kane took over the role of Granny... which was cool... I liked her in the role. This is worth watching if you liked the first one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2013, 05:36:43 AM »
Ritual is apparently a remake/retelling of "I Walked With A Zombie" (by Jacques Tourneur) from 1943; hence the credit for Curt Siodimak. That does make me want to go and seek it out. I also wasn't aware of this third Tales from he Crypt film. I really liked the the first one, although the second one lacked quite substantially...

It's really cheap at Amazon, so I might complete the "trilogy" at some point. :hmmmm:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2013, 01:32:27 AM »
     Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season One
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer/Intro |
After moving to Sunnydale, California, Buffy Anne Summers just wants to be a normal teenager. Back in Los Angles her first Watcher had died, she inadvertenly burned down the school gymnasium at her old high school and her parents got a divorce. The move to Sunnydale is supposed to give both her and her mother, Joyce, a clean slate. But then she meets the school librarian, Rupert Giles, and quickly learns there is no escaping her destiny.

With Giles as her new Watcher, she reluctantly steps back in to her role as the Slayer. But this time she is not fighting alone. For she now has an inner circle of special friends ready to join the fight and drive in a stake or two if need be: Willow, Xander, Cordelia and a mysterious young man named Angel...

Episodes:
1. Welcome To The Hellmouth
2. The Harvest
3. Witch
4. Teacher's Pet
5. Never Kill A Boy On The First Date
6. The Pack
7. Angel
8. I Robot...You Jane
9. The Puppet Show
10. Nightmares
11. Out Of Mind, Out Of Sight
12. Prophecy Girl

Stars:
Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers
Nicholas Brendon as Xander Harris
Alyson Hannigan as Willow Rosenberg
Charisma Carpenter as Cordelia Chase
Anthony Stewart Head as Rupert Giles

My Thoughts:
The urge hit me and I found myself watching the first season. Well it has been about a year since I last watched the series. I don't know if I will watch the entire series again.. but I do still have the urge to watch so will at least start season 2. This first season... albeit short... contains a lot of very good episodes. The first season easily hooks you and keeps you wanting more. Definitely a series i recommend... if you somehow have never seen it.

My Favorite Season 1 Episodes:
Welcome to the Hellmouth
The Harvest
Th Puppet Show
Nightmares
Prophecy Girl

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete