Author Topic: Addicted2DVD's Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon  (Read 32317 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted2DVD's Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 07:10:16 AM »
But the Canadian Trilogy Box seems unavailable...? At least it's not on Amazon.ca...?

There are several versions for at least the first film a single discs. Does an of those, other than the one for $99, have those extras?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 07:28:09 AM »
For the second and third part, I think the one I've link had all the extras (the one I have for Ginger Snaps 2 had a different cover). For the first one I think only the collector's edition countains all the extras (check on DVDP maybe that will help you).

Amazon Marketplace had it cheaper, but you'll need someone from the US to order it for you to get one of the less costly option. If I were you I would contact the 10$ seller to be sure it's really the collector's edition he sell at that price.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 08:04:25 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 08:00:21 AM »
Those are the three I had put into my Shopping Cart, waiting for your reply. I found they seem to have those extras.

The sad news: None of the market place sellers ship to Taiwan :( Turned out, ONE of them ships to Germany (unfortunately the one saying Condition: Very Good rather than Like New), so I'll do that and bring it back here next time I visit my parents (some time later this year, probably).

Order issued :)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 08:06:53 AM »
I just edit my post, but I guess I'm a little bit too late as your order is done... Anyway, unless the 10$ one is really the CE I'm not sure the US is the way to go (the canadian $ worth less than the US $).

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 08:14:25 AM »
I trusted the cover image, it should be the CE. According to DVDP there is two version with different UPC but same cover, which both have the special features. That would explain why there are two listings at Amazon. I'll keep y fingers crossed.

As I said, (only) one of the sellers ships to Germany, so that worked out. (I saw the barebones version from the US somewhere for $6, so that would clearly be cheaper.)

Thanks for your help!

Thanks to Pete, too, for letting us hijack his thread for a while.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 02:10:33 AM »
     Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed (2004/Canada)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Lions Gate Home Entertainment
Director:Brett Sullivan
Writing:Megan Martin (Original Material By)
Length:94 min.
Rating:Rated R : Strong Violence, Sexual Content, Some Language and Drug Use
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Emily Perkins as Brigitte
Katharine Isabelle as Ginger
Tatiana Maslany as Ghost
Janet Kidder as Alice
Eric Johnson as Tyler
Pascale Hutton as Beth-Ann

Plot:
Brigitte is an addict. After mixing blood with her late sister Ginger in an attempt to learn more about the condition, she has been infected with "the curse." Each day the curse in her grows stronger and she must increase her dosage of injections. When she is found laying face down in the snow after a near-escape from another beast, she is thrown into drug rehabilitation – locked behind doors without her life-saving antodote.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Closed Captioned
  • Comic Book Art

My Thoughts:
I won't say I enjoyed this one as much as the first one... but it was close. I still definitely enjoyed this one. It of course takes place after... and is a good continuation of the first one. But this time it centers around Bridget more then Ginger. Though you do see and hear from her throughout the movie. I liked the character of the younger girl who is nicknamed Ghost. I also liked the ending of this movie. It was both interesting and unexpected.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 08:40:53 PM »

The Walking Dead: Season 2 Disc 1

1. What Lies Ahead
Rick leads the group out of Atlanta. On the highway, they are stopped by a threat unlike anything they have seen before. The group searches for someone who has gone missing.

2. Bloodletting
Coming to the aid of another, Rick discovers a possible safe haven. Shane must go on a dangerous mission to get badly needed medical supplies.

3. Save The Last One
The group desperately awaits Shane's return. Shane finds himself trapped in a school, surrounded by the undead. Daryl and Andrea search for someone in the woods.

4. Cherokee Rose
Shane makes a deadly sacrifice which leads to unusual behavior and self-distancing. The rest of the group tries to hang on somewhere between living to die and dying to live.

Extras:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
I recently re-watched season 1 on my trip to Virginia... so thought I would go on to season 2 (just wish I had season 3 to re-watch before the 4th starts). I really enjoyed all these episodes. They do a good job continuing from the first season. I like the season long storyline of them getting together with the survivors on the farm. The first 4 episodes deals with a lot... and I am loving every second of it. But I would have liked to seen a bit more zombie action. Though I would probably say that no matter how much they put in there.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 12:53:16 AM »

Grey's Anatomy

4.05: Haunt You Every Day
It's Halloween at Seattle Grace and the day is chock-full of surprises for the doctors. Alex has a surprise visit from a former patient; Meredith thinks her mother's ashes are haunting her; Cristina is snubbed by a top surgeon; and everyone is shocked when Callie reveals George and Izzie's relationship to the public.

My Thoughts:
This is one of my all-time favorite medical dramas. And this Halloween based episode was a lot of fun! I especially liked the storyline of the little boy needing plastic surgery to form some ears... going trick or treating for ears in the hospital... trying to get the operation for free. This is another episode I could see myself watching again before the month is over!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 11:19:49 PM »
     My Soul to Take (2010/United States)
Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Director:Wes Craven
Writing:Wes Craven (Writer)
Length:107 min.
Rating:Rated R : Strong Bloody Violence, And Pervasive Language Including Sexual References
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: : , Commentary: :
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Max Thieriot as Bug
John Magaro as Alex
Denzel Whitaker as Jerome
Zena Grey as Penelope
Nick Lashaway as Brandon
Paulina Olszynski as Brittany

Plot:
On the day the Riverton Ripper vanished without a trace, seven children were born. Today, they're all turning 16...and turning up dead. Legendary director Wes Craven (A Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream) keeps your heart racing with a suspense-thriller filled with twists, turns and a dark secret that will send your soul searching for cover.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes

My Thoughts:
I went into this one without even seeing a trailer for the film. Unfortunately the reviews I have read on it has been less then stellar. More then one going as far as saying it is the worst piece of work to come from Wes Craven. So needless to say I went into this one with low expectations. Though going in with the low expectations really didn't help much. While the film has it's moments here and there.. I really didn't think too much of this one. I found I really didn't care much for the characters... and the storyline just didn't keep my interest. I found myself doing other things while the movie played in the background.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 11:35:54 PM »
I went into this one without even seeing a trailer for the film.
The trailer wasn't that bad, in fact I was almost tempted to go watch it in the theatre when it was released here. But I changed my mind really fast after reading the first comments from my friends about the film.

More then one going as far as saying it is the worst piece of work to come from Wes Craven.
Common that can't be worst than The Hills Have Eyes 2 :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 03:25:26 AM »
     Re-Animator: Millennium Edition (1985/United States)
Elite Entertainment
Director:Stuart Gordon (1947)
Writing:Dennis Paoli (Screenwriter), William J. Norris (Screenwriter), Stuart Gordon (1947) (Screenwriter), H. P. Lovecraft (Original Material By)
Length:86 min.
Rating:NR
Audio:English: DTS: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Music Only: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Jeffrey Combs as Herbert West
Bruce Abbott as Dan Cain
Barbara Crampton as Megan Halsey
David Gale as Dr. Carl Hill
Robert Sampson as Dean Halsey
Gerry Black as Mace

Plot:
This is Re-Animator as we have been waiting to see it. The technical quality of the picture and sound has never been better, making this the definitive state-of-the-art version of this blood drenched horror classic. We have kept the original commentary tracks, but added gobs of other material, including on-camera interviews with the writer, director, producer, composer and others. Credit Elite Entertainment and their producer, Jack F. Murphy, for investing so much time and money, and for taking such care with all the little details that go into creating a first rate product.

Re-Animator is a very special movie to me and many others involved in its production, and it is gratifying to have it presented in such an excellent way. For horror fans this edition preserves what we love about Re-Animator in all its sturm and drang and gory glory, and for cinema buffs is it just a great genre movie in a great DVD package. If it has been a while since you have seen Re-Animator, this is a good time to re-view it, and if you have never seen it before, this is your opportunity to see what the excitement is all about.

So take this one home and enjoy!

Brian Yuzna

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • Interviews
  • THX

My Thoughts:
Now this is more like it! Nothing better then a good '80s horror! A true classic in the genre. I remember watching... and enjoying this film as a teen. Though I will admit i was concerned whether or not it would hold up for me. But it more then held up.. it was better then I remember it being. The entire cast was great... though the stand-out performance was from Jeffrey Combs. This is one I have no problem recommending.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 03:56:26 PM »
     Fright Night (2011/United States)
Touchstone Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Director:Craig Gillespie
Writing:Marti Noxon (Screenwriter), Tom Holland (Story By), Tom Holland (Original Material By)
Length:106 min.
Rating:Rated R : Bloody Horror Violence, And Language Including Some Sexual References
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Anton Yelchin as Charley Brewster
Colin Farrell as Jerry
Toni Collette as Jane Brewster
David Tennant as Peter Vincent
Imogen Poots as Amy
Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Ed

Plot:
Meet the sexy new neighbor, Jerry Dandrige (Colin Farrell). He's dangerously charming – and utterly lethal. That's because he just happens to be a vampire, and out for blood...buckets of it. After high school senior Charley Brewster (Anton Yelchin) makes the connection between Jerry's suspicious activity and a steadily rising body count, he vows to end the reign of terror next door. But he can't do it alone. His only hope is Las Vegas magician/vampire-slayer Peter Vincent (David Tennant). Together, this unlikely duo set out to end Jerry's evil rampage. But Jerry is a ruthless, relentless killer, and he's not going down without a fight. Get set to sink your teeth into this thrilling re-vamp of the terrifying horror classic. Featuring a star-studded cast and crawling with bonus, Fright Night will captivate you from the very first bite!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Short: Squid Man: Extended & Uncut

My Thoughts:
This is like my third time seeing this film. The original is one of my favorite vampire movies... and this remake is pretty good. I enjoyed it. They leave enough of it the same to pay homage to the original... while changing it enough to make it it's own film. I think Collin Ferrell did a good job of portraying Jerry (the vampire). The one playing Charlie looked familiar but I just couldn't place him. Turns out he played Chekov in Star Trek. The one thing I didn't care for is how they re-did Peter Vincent... making him a Criss Angel wannabe. That character just bugged me in this one. Over-all a decent remake. It is one I would recommend.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 07:18:47 PM »
     Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992/United States)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Fran Rubel Kuzui
Writing:Joss Whedon (Writer)
Length:85 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Comic Vampire Violence and Drug References
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 4.0, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Candy Clark as Buffy's Mom
Kristy Swanson as Buffy
Donald Sutherland as Merrick
Paul Reubens as Amilyn
Rutger Hauer as Lothos
Luke Perry as Pike

Plot:
Blonde, bouncy Buffy (Kristy Swanson) is your typical high school cheerleader — her goal is to "marry Christian Slater and die" and nothing gets in her way when it's time to shop. But all that changes when a strange man (Donald Sutherland) informs her she's been chosen by fate to kill vampires.

With the help of a romantic rebel (Luke Perry), Buffy is soon spending school nights protecting L.A. from Lothos, the Vampire King (Rutger Hauer), his sidekick, Lefty (Paul Reubens), and their determined gang of bloodsuckers. It's everything you'd expect from a teen queen in the valley.19. Time of Your Life, Part 4

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I decided to go for a little Comedy Horror next. This is one I enjoy watching every now and then. Granted the film isn't as good as the TV Series... as I much prefer the TV Series. But I must say that I just find this film to be good for what it is... a fun, silly, cheesy film. So yes people... you can enjoy both the film and the TV Series. It's funny because I really can't explain what it is I like about this one and why I keep coming back to it. I will say I liked Donald Sutherland in this film... but then I have been a fan of his for years. Anyway... I think if you can look at this for what it is you will enjoy it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 09:11:42 PM »
     Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season 8 Motion Comic (2010/United States)
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Length:224 min.
Rating:NR
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Plot:
Proving once and for all that you can't keep a good Slayer down, Joss Whedon's "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Eight" picks up where the smash hit TV show left off! Based on the Dark Horse comic book series, these eye-popping motion comic adventures breathe new life into the Buffyverse for long-time fans and new "watchers" alike.

The Hellmouth may have been destroyed, but the world still needs saving and Buffy Summers is back at her butt-kicking, demon-slaying best to battle the supernatural forces of evil. But the U.S. government thinks Buffy and her legions of followers have grown too powerful and are now terrorist threats. Meanwhile, a seemingly unstoppable group of Japanese vampires hatch a nefarious plot, while the biggest, baddest Big Bad of them all, Twilight, is on a mission to destroy every slayer on Earth.

Issues:
1. The Long Way Home, Part 1
2. The Long Way Home, Part 2
3. The Long Way Home, Part 3
4. The Long Way Home, Part 4
5. The Chain
6. No Future for You, Part 1
7. No Future for You, Part 2
8. No Future for You, Part 3
9. No Future for You, Part 4
10. Anywhere But Here
11. A Beautiful Sunset
12. Wolves at the Gate, Part 1
13. Wolves at the Gate, Part 2
14. Wolves at the Gate, Part 3
15. Wolves at the Gate, Part 4
16. Time of Your Life, Part 1
17. Time of Your Life, Part 2
18. Time of Your Life, Part 3
19. Time of Your Life, Part 4

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Test Pilot, Trivia Track

My Thoughts:
I figured I would go ahead and watch the other disc in the set. Obviously this is a motion comic taken over where the series left off. It is a fun set to check out. Interesting to think at least some of this is what Joss Whedon had planned for an 8th season. Definitely worth checking out if you were a fan of the series.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 11:37:55 PM »
     House of Bones (2009/United States)
SyFy
Director:Jeffery Scott Lando
Writing:Anthony C. Ferrante (Writer), Jay Frasco (Screenwriter)
Length:90 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Charisma Carpenter as Heather Burton
Marcus L. Brown as Greg Fisher
Ricky Wayne as Tom Rule
Collin Galyean as Simon
Kyle Clements as Bub
Corin Nemec as Quentin French

Plot:
Psychic, Heather Burton (Charisma Carpenter, "Angel") and a team of TV ghost hunters travel to investigate a haunted house surrounded by rumors of paranormal activity. Upon their arrival they find a foreboding house with a mind of its own, and as darkness falls, the house begins to kill the crew one by one. With time running out, will they be able to outwit this terror and make it out alive?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
I got this one mainly because I like Charisma Carpenter. The movie is better then I was expecting it to be. Sure some of the effects were cheesy... and there was some predictable stuff in it. But I definitely enjoyed it. Charisma Carpenter plays a psychic that joins one of those shows where they go off investigating supposedly haunted houses called Sinister Sites. On her very first episode they end up in the "real thing". While it may not be the best haunted house movie I ever seen... I am glad I added it to my collection. It's worth the time put into it to watch it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete