Author Topic: Marie's Random Movie Viewing  (Read 66318 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Marie's Random Movie Viewing
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2013, 10:39:25 AM »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
Harry, Ron and Hermione set out to track down and destroy the secret to Voldemort's power – the Horcruxes. On their own and on the run, the three friends must now rely on one another more than ever...but Dark Forces threaten to tear them apart.

I am glad that the final book was split into 2 movies.  There was just too much to cover and tie up for one movie...especially if Yates would have been able to hack it to bits again.  There are changes again, though most of them don't bother me too much.  Some things get a little condensed, which isn't too annoying.  There is a stupid scene added in, again by Yates decision because he wanted to show the sexual tension - that is what he said - between Harry and Hermione.  Ack.  There was none between them.  They were each in love with someone else and were just friends and for Yates to imply something else is messed up.  I guess we are lucky he didn't have them make out.  some of the characters aren't used enough again, but that happened in the book too.  They are still clueless about what most of the horcruxes could be..though they sort of stumble into figuring out one.  Harry has his piece of a magical mirror that Sirus gave him back in the fifth book...which has been left out of the movies completely, yet Harry is now pulling it out looking in it..and it is kind of important later on.  This movie refers back to things that were left out of various books, so it really requires people have read the books to be able to fully follow and understand certain things.  People that have only seen the movies are going to be lost on some things thanks to how things were cut in previous movies.  Most of the issues in this one go back to things that weren't handled properly in previous movies.

I do enjoy the movie overall..I just think it would have been even better if a few things were handled better.

I did post a longer review at Epinions after seeing the movie.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2013, 10:59:06 AM »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
In the epic finale, the battle between the good and evil forces of the wizarding world escalates into an all-out war. The stakes have never been higher and no one is safe. But it is Harry who may be called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice as he draws closer to the climactic showdown with Lord Voldemort. It all ends here.

This movie ties up everything fairly well and it is a good adaptation overall.  The main differences come from things that weren't properly set up in previous movies.  I still don't really like how Harry ends up being able to find the horcruxes, but it does work for the movie.  It just seems like it was an attempt to cover up the fact that they screwed up the set up big time as far as the horcruxes were concerned.  I really didn't need to see the snake as often as it was around, but I knew that would happen.  I was really worried about how Snape's memories would be handled after memories have been screwed up in previous movies.  Thankfully they were done wonderfully.  Things were condensed a bit, and one very moving thing was added in that made the memory part stronger overall.  It makes Snape more likable overall and shows that he is capable of feelings.  I still love how Helena Bonham Carter plays it when Hermione is supposed to be Bellatrix.  She looks the same but also different at the same time.  The crazed look in her eyes is gone, replaced by the look of someone who is uncertain about what they are doing.  It's wonderful.

It really is amazing that all these movies were able to be made with the same main cast - except for Richard Harris who unfortunately passed away.  There are a few continuity issues here and there that come from the changes the different directors did.  The cast is wonderful, especially Alan Rickman.  His part is smaller, but it is so important and he really shines in his few scenes.  There are a few things that I would have liked to see from the book, though they were more minor things.

I did post a longer review on Epinions after seeing the movie.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2013, 06:02:44 AM »
There is a stupid scene added in, again by Yates decision because he wanted to show the sexual tension - that is what he said - between Harry and Hermione.  Ack.  There was none between them.  They were each in love with someone else and were just friends and for Yates to imply something else is messed up.  I guess we are lucky he didn't have them make out.
I totally agree with you, that there was no such tension at all. But since you say "stupid", you are not referring to the dance scene? Can you remind me which scene you are referring to?

IMO the dance scene is a wonderful addition and gives a very calm and quiet moment. If this is the scene you meant, then I don't think it is stupid, it is merely Yates being stupid as he apparently no idea what he did there :slaphead: For me the scene does not carry any tensions, it is merely showing two scared people holding each other.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2013, 10:06:48 AM »
I did mean the dance scene.  It just seems a bit out of place to me..and especially after I heard Yates's boneheaded explanation for it.  For me, I guess it is just another example of Yates cramming in something not from the books for his own reasons.  Every time I read or hear him talk about the movies and why he did stuff just proves more and more how he had no clue about the source material and he didn't care about it.  Sexual tension between Harry and Hermione...it is so messed up to even suggest that.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2013, 06:03:50 AM »
I agree stupid explanation. I still like the scene for what I saw in it. I am not even sure if he added, maybe the writers did and Yates just gave his stupid explanation of what he thought it meant...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2013, 06:37:33 AM »
I believe in the interview I read, Yates said he added that part.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2013, 08:52:09 AM »
I've gotten behind here again...oops.  I hope to work on catching up again.