Author Topic: Blu-ray Player Question  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Blu-ray Player Question
« on: July 11, 2013, 08:46:45 AM »
My Blu-ray player is starting to have some issues with not playing discs that have played fine before..and that will play on the other Blu-ray player in the house.  So I'm starting to look at other players to eventually replace it.  I was already thinking about it to get the WiFi stuff so I could keep up with the firmware updates or whatever.

I was looking at some players online and saw something mentioned that I don't exactly know what he means.  With the one player, there is this chart thing to compare features of the different models from Sony.  Universal Disc Playback is listed.  What does that mean?  Would that play non Us format discs?  Or does it mean something else? 

I'm so confused now.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Blu-ray Player Question
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 11:29:52 AM »
If I understood it correctly it just means that the player reads about any disc there is.

It has nothing to do with the Blu-ray region codes (A for the Americas, B for Yurope).
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »
I agree with Karsten. It should mean that besides Blu-rays you can play DVDs and CDs, maybe others. If they meant region free, they would say so.

You have a link for such chart...?

BTW, pay attention if any player is said to be region free. I will probably only refer to the DVD component of the player. Blu-ray region free players are not that easy to obtain, usually not in big chain stores.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 04:05:23 AM »
Ahhh..ok.  Thank you.  That makes sense.  Not sure why I didn't think of that last night.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 05:54:14 PM »
I recently got a new Sony blu-ray player (not region free that i know of) for about $90 usd recently.  This is the second Sony I have gotten and really like it.  I like it as much as my Samsung players (funny that the "connection menu .. netflix, amazon, etc" are very very similar).  WiFi connectivity has been great and updates have gone very smoothly.
Thank you
David

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
I was thinking of getting another Sony since the two I have have worked well...untill the one started having fits of not playing some movies.  It is still only two...but that is two too many.