Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: The Blu-ray Experience  (Read 25439 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: The Blu-ray Experience
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 02:04:20 PM »
     Buried (2010/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Lionsgate
Director:Rodrigo Cortés
Writing:Chris Sparling (Screenwriter)
Length:95 min.
Rating:Rated R : Language and Some Violent Content
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Ryan Reynolds as Paul Conroy
José Luis García-Pérez as Jabir
Robert Paterson as Dan Brenner
Stephen Tobolowsky as Alan Davenport
Samantha Mathis as Linda Conroy
Ivana Miño as Pamela Lutti

Plot:
Paul Conroy is not ready to die.

Not when he wakes up six feet underground with no idea of who put him there or why, life for the truck driver and family man instantly becomes a hellish struggle for survival. Buried with only a cell phone and a lighter, his contact with the outside world and ability to piece together clues that could help him discover his location are maddeningly limited. Poor reception, a rapidly draining battery, and a dwindling oxygen supply becomes his worst enemies in a tightly confined race against time; fighting panic, despair and delirium, Paul has only ninety minutes to be rescued before his worst nightmare becomes true.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
This is a film I never even heard of before getting the disc. But I have been a fan of Ryan Reynolds for some time now... so looked forward to checking it out. I found it odd... but strangely entertaining that the entire film takes place in the coffin with Ryan Reynold's character. Of course you hear others on the phone... but that is basically it. I am sure there is other films like this where you only ever see one character on screen.... but none come to my mind that I have seen. So this is really something different for me. There is lots of suspense through-out the film. Definitely worth checking out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2013, 06:02:06 PM »
     Let the Right One In (2008/Sweden)
Magnolia Home Entertainment, Magnet
Director:Tomas Alfredson
Writing:John Ajvide Lindqvist (Screenwriter), John Ajvide Lindqvist (Original Material By)
Length:115 min.
Rating:Rated R : Some Bloody Violence Including Disturbing Images, Brief Nudity and Language
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Swedish: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1

Stars:
Kåre Hedebrant as Oskar
Lina Leandersson as Eli
Per Ragnar as Håkan
Henrik Dahl as Erik
Karin Bergquist as Yvonne
Peter Carlberg as Lacke

Plot:
Lonely, 12-year-old Oskar is regularly bullied by his stronger classmates. A new friendship develops when Eli, a pale, serious young girl who only comes out at night moves in next door. Coinciding with her arrival is a series of inexplicable disappearances and murders. As Oskar becomes more aware of Eli's tragic plight, he cannot forsake her. However, Eli knows that to continue living, she must keep relocating. But when Oskar faces his darkest hour, Eli returns to defend him the only way she can...

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery

My Thoughts:
This is the first time I ever seen this one. Though I have heard a lot of great things about it. So I was hoping going into this one that I wouldn't be disappointed due to all they hype I have read. But thankfully that wasn't the case. I found I enjoyed this one very much. It is at a slower pace then I am normally used to... but that really works with this storyline. I liked the way this movie handled entering a home without an invite. An idea I never seen before... as the way I normally see it the vampire just cannot enter... like there is an invisible force field in the way. So I got to see something I never seen in a vampire movie before... and with all the vampire movies I ever seen... that is saying a lot. This is one I definitely recommend... if you never seen it... give it a chance!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2013, 06:02:40 PM »
I also wanted to reply to say Thank You to those that recommended this film to me!  :thanks:
Pete

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2013, 07:00:49 PM »
Oh man .. i am really glad you like it.  Sometimes when I want to recommend a film I don't know if it will work or not ... personality differences, watching lists etc.  And, "Let the Right One In" is definitely not your average film.  Lots of under tones etc and sometimes this just doesn't work for some.  Hope you like "Let Me In" also.  It is a little faster pace.

yeah!!!!  :thundergod:

Thank you
David

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2013, 08:21:16 PM »
     Let Me In (2010/United States, United Kingdom)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Anchor Bay Entertainment
Director:Matt Reeves
Writing:Matt Reeves (Screenwriter), John Ajvide Lindqvist (Original Material By)
Length:116 min.
Rating:Rated R : Strong Bloody Horror Violence, Language and a Brief Sexual Situation
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Kodi Smit-McPhee as Owen
Chloë Grace Moretz as Abby
Richard Jenkins (1947) as The Father
Cara Buono as Owen's Mother
Elias Koteas as The Policeman
Sasha Barrese as Virginia

Plot:
From Matt Reeves – the director of Cloverfield – comes the new vampire classic that critics are calling "chillingly real" (Scott Bowles, USA Today), "one of the best horror films of the year" (Cinematical) and "a haunting, touching and unforgettable thriller" (Pete Hammond, Boxoffice Magazine). In bleak New Mexico, a lonely, bullied boy, Owen (Kodi Smit-McPhee of The Road), forms a unique bond with his mysterious new neighbor, Abby (Chloë Grace Moretz of Kick-Ass), who moves from town to town with the man who appears to be her father (Oscar® Nominee Richard Jenkins of The Visitor). Trapped in the mind and body of a child, however, Abby is forced to hide a horrific secret of bloodthirsty survival. But in a world of tenderness and terror, how can you invite in the one friend who may unleash the ultimate nightmare?

Based on the Swedish novel, Let the Right One In, "Let Me In is a dark and violent love story, a beautiful piece of cinema and a respectful rendering of my novel for which I am grateful." (John Ajvide Lindqvist, author)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Picture-in-picture
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
OK. I have to say... I liked this one too. It is basically the same story. I would say I like them both about the same amount. The original is stronger in some areas where this remake is stronger in other areas. I think the original did better with conveying the storyline. But I think the remake just had better effects... and was more graphic which I liked. So when all is said and done... I am thrilled I have both of them in my collection now.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2013, 10:26:57 PM »
     Kick-Ass (2010/United States)
Lionsgate
Director:Matthew Vaughn
Writing:Mark Millar (Original Material By), John S. Romita, Jr. [John S. Romita Jr] (Original Material By), Jane Goldman (Screenwriter), Matthew Vaughn (Screenwriter)
Length:118 min.
Rating:Rated R : Strong Brutal Violence Throughout, Pervasive Language, Sexual Content, Nudity and Some Drug Use - Some Involving Children
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Aaron Johnson as Dave Lizewski/Kick-Ass
Garrett M. Brown as Mr. Lizewski
Clark Duke as Marty
Evan Peters as Todd
Deborah Twiss as Mrs Zane
Lyndsy Fonseca as Katie Deauxma

Plot:
Co-written and directed by Matthew Vaughn (upcoming X-Men: First Class), the ass-kicking adventure about unlikely real-life crime fighters stars Aaron Johnson (Nowhere Boy), Christopher Mintz-Plasse (Superbad) and Mark Strong (Robin Hood, Sherlock Holmes), along with the dynamic father-daughter duo played by Chloe Grace Moretz (upcoming Let Me In), and Nicolas Cage (National Treasure series). Based on the comic written by Mark Millar and John S. Romita Jr., the story follows Dave Lizewski (Johnson), an ordinary teenager who goes unnoticed in high school until he dons a mask to become "Kick-Ass," a real-life crime fighter. Bruised and beaten and without any real super powers, he is saved by a father-daughter duo (Cage as "Big Daddy," Moretz as "Hit-Girl") who have been fighting their own battle against a vicious crime-lord. After a firestorm of Internet publicity, Kick-Ass becomes the target of the same crime lord, which leads to the ass-kicking finale when the three crime fighters take on the crime lord, his son Red Mist (Mintz-Plasse) and his gang of criminals.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Picture-in-picture
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy
  • Ass-Kicking BonusView Mode, D-Box, BD Touch, Metamenu

My Thoughts:
I have seen this one before... on DVD. But this is the first time seeing it on Blu-ray. And even after a second viewing this movie is nothing less then amazing! I absolutely loved every moment of it.  Hit-Girl stole the show... best character in the entire movie. Brittany said it right when she told me not to confuse this with a superhero movie... it really isn't one. It is actually a vigilante movie that just happens to use superhero costumes as a gimmick. If by any chance you haven't seen this one yet.... it is one I highly recommend... see it as soon as possible... you won't be sorry!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 12:17:13 AM »
If a few more titles gets to me in time for this weekend's marathon I will be reviving this thread.

New in House:

Salem Witch Trials
3hr mini-series

The Box

Betsy's Wedding

Could Possibly Get Here in Time:

Deadline

The Green Hornet

Harry Potter and the
Half-Blood Prince

The Karate Kid (2010)

Could Still Review for this Thread:

Stargate

Extremely Loud &
Incredibly Close

Street Kings

Disney's Christmas
Carol

Santa Paws 2:
The Santa Pups

The Search for
Santa Paws

Red Riding Hood

Men in Black 3

Though I doubt I will do any Christmas titles this time of the year. I am really hoping either The Karate Kid or Deadline will make it here in time for this weekend. As I would like to watch those both when they arrive.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2013, 06:37:50 AM »
Why not leave those Christmas films for the holiday season...? You usually do a marathon then as well.

From the rest I'd suggest Men in Black 3, I had quite a good time with that.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2013, 12:01:07 PM »
I am pretty sure I won't watch any of the Christmas movies (as I said in the last statement  ;) )

I have seen Men in Black 3... like 3 times before. But I enjoy it every time so can see myself watching it again  :P

Out of the list above... the ones I never seen are...

Betsy's Wedding
The Box
Deadline (not here yet)
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
The Green Hornet (not here yet)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (not here yet)
Salem's Witch Trials
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
Tomorrow is Sandra Bullock's birthday... so I should watch Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close tomorrow. :P
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2013, 06:08:01 AM »
I am pretty sure I won't watch any of the Christmas movies (as I said in the last statement  ;) )
:bag:

Of those you haven't seen I only know Harry Potter. That one obviously makes no sense to be watched out of sequence.

I"d be curious about The Box. That seems more like it should be a short film or something like a Twilight Zone episode (which I may have been in the past), not a feature length film.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2013, 07:04:59 AM »
I was thinking the same thing about The Box. Sounds like it would make a good episode to something like The Twilight Zone... but a full length movie? I will most likely get to it this weekend. Especially if none of my other discs arrive in time for this weekend.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2013, 07:07:49 AM »
On Harry Potter... I have all the ones before it. But I haven't watched them all yet. And I was also told by someone else not to watch them out of order. I still need the last two... but maybe next weekend I will do a Harry Potter marathon.
Pete

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2013, 04:49:25 PM »
I would suggest watching them in order.  I find interesting the progression of the stories, characters and all the improvements of filming/production and acting.  Hard to tell why someone is doing something if you don't know their motivation.  Having said that I think most of the films can stand on their own ... with the later films being better overall.
Thank you
David

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2013, 07:18:54 PM »
     Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (2011/United States)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Warner Home Video
Director:Stephen Daldry
Writing:Eric Roth (Screenwriter), Jonathan Safran Foer (Original Material By)
Length:129 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Emotional Thematic Material, Some Disturbing Images and Language
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Thai: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Tom Hanks as Thomas Schell
Thomas Horn as Oskar Schell
Sandra Bullock as Linda Schell
Zoe Caldwell as Oskar's Grandmother
Dennis Hearn as Minister
Paul Klementowicz as Homeless Man

Plot:
Adapted from the acclaimed bestseller by Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close is a story that unfolds from inside the mind of Oskar Schell, an inventive eleven-year-old New Yorker whose discovery of a key in the belongings of his father, who died in the World Trade Center on 9/11, sets him off on an urgent search for the lock it opens. As Oskar's quest takes him across the city, he encounters an eclectic assortment of people – survivors in their own way – who help uncover links to his father, preserving a connection to the man who helped Oskar confront his fears about the noisy, dangerous world around him.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
I decided to watch this one today in honor of Sandra Bullock's birthday. As most of you know... I am a huge fan of hers. Though she doesn't have a huge part in this film... as most the film follows around their son. While I found this to be a very good film. It is also very slow. And I did feel my attention to go elsewhere at times. But it kept my attention for the most part. It is definitely one I think is worth checking out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete