Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: The Blu-ray Experience  (Read 25449 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: The Blu-ray Experience
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 02:05:54 PM »
     The Three Stooges: The Movie (2012/)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Peter Farrelly, Bobby Farrelly
Writing:Mike Cerrone (Writer), Bobby Farrelly (Writer), Peter Farrelly (Writer)
Length:92 min.
Rating:PG
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Sean Hayes as Larry
Will Sasso as Curly
Chris Diamantopoulos as Moe
Jane Lynch as Mother Superior
Sofia Vergara as Lydia
Jennifer Hudson as Sister Rosemary

Plot:
Calling all knuckleheads! From the fiercely funny Farrelly Brothers (There's Something About Mary) comes this contemporqary take on the world's most beloved classic comedy trio...The Three Stooges!

Left on the doorstep of a num-conventional orphanage as toddlers, Moe, Larry and Curly grow up eye-poking, face-slapping and head-clunking their way into adulthood. Now the bumbling trio — pure of heart, but dim of wit — find themselves on a madcap mission to save their childhood home from foreclosure. Can the Stooges survive the modern world, raise the money, and ultimately save the day? Why soitenly!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
Felt like some silly comedy this morning... so decided to pop this one in. If you ever seen any Three Stooges short you pretty much know what to expect going into this one. Just like the shorts it isn't the type I can watch often... but is fun when you are in the mood. I think they did a pretty good job on it. They cast the stooges well... and the storyline keeps your interest. Definitely worth checking out!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 06:27:24 PM »
     Dolphin Tale (2011/United States)
Warner Home Video
Director:Charles Martin Smith
Writing:Karen Janszen (Writer), Noam Dromi (Writer)
Length:113 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Some Mild Thematic Elements
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Harry Connick, Jr. as Dr. Clay Haskett
Ashley Judd as Lorraine Nelson
Nathan Gamble as Sawyer Nelson
Kris Kristofferson as Reed Haskett
Cozi Zuehlsdorff as Hazel Haskett
Morgan Freeman as Dr. Cameron McCarthy

Plot:
In an inspiring story of the bond between animals and humans, a boy named Sawyer discovers an injured dolphin, who is brought to a marine hospital and named Winter. Unfortunately, her injuries cost Winter her tail, without which she may not survive. But with Sawyer's devotion, a marine biologist's (Harry Connick Jr.) and the brilliance of a prosthetist (Morgan Freeman) charged with creating a new tail, Winter may receive a second chance at life.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Digital Copy
  • 2 animated shorts

My Thoughts:
Yes... I just watched this film about 2 weeks ago... But that was on DVD on my laptop (so I could vidcap it for my DVD Profiler gallery). And with how I loved every moment of it then... I really wanted to watch the Blu-ray of it this weekend. And let me tell you... it is just as good the second time around! Other then that I will just repeat what I said the first time...

I found the movie itself to be simply amazing. Even more so considering it is based on a true story. I was drawn in from the very beginning... and it kept my complete attention till the very end. A real feel good movie. One I couldn't recommend high enough. An excellent story that is wonderfully done. I just finished this film... and I already feel like I could watch it again. If that isn't a sign of an excellent film... I don't know what is.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 08:28:55 PM »
On the blu-ray of Dolphin Tale there is an animated short that is absolutely hilarious. Both Britt and I laughed all the way through it. It is called Ormie and the Cookie Jar. And I found it on youtube... check it out!

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 08:31:31 PM »
Ok... just hit play above... why is it showing up double (2 images) in the player?
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 12:08:35 AM »
     Terminator Salvation: Director's Cut (2009/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Warner Home Video
Director:McG
Writing:John Brancato (Writer), Michael Ferris (Writer)
Length:118 min.
Rating:Rated R : Some Violence and Brief Nudity
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Christian Bale as John Connor
Sam Worthington as Marcus Wright
Moon Bloodgood as Blair Williams
Helena Bonham Carter as Dr. Serena Kogan
Anton Yelchin as Kyle Reese
Jadagrace Berry as Star

Plot:
In the aftermath of Judgement Day and the takeover by the machines, John Connor (Christian Bale), the destined leader of the human resistance, must counter Skynet's devastating plan to terminate mankind. As he rallies his underground street fighters for a last, desperate battle, Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington), a mysterious loner from the past, challenges him with an impossible choice that will determine the future of the human race.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Featurettes
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Picture-in-picture
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy
  • Maximum Movie Mode

My Thoughts:
I decided to check this one out next. This is the first time I ever seen this film. Every since the very first movie I have always wanted to see more on the actual war with the machines. And now we have an entire movie that takes place in that time. I was wondering why the actor that played Kyle Reece in this film looked so familiar to me... turns out he played Charlie in the "Fright Night" remake. As for the movie itself. It is I enjoyed it quite a bit. There was a couple parts of the storyline I didn't care for as much as the rest of the film... but over-all I definitely enjoyed it... especially all the action scenes!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 01:25:34 AM »
Great to see you like it too.  Though we may be only 2 ... we are strong <G>.  Wish it had gotten better reviews.
Thank you
David

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 01:33:17 AM »
I am used to being one of the few to like something!   :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 06:55:18 AM »
I liked it when I saw it.
And I'm use to being one of the few to like some movies too. 

Evidently I am one of the few that went to see Lone Ranger.   :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 05:48:18 PM »
I think I will just revive this thread for this weekend since I have more blu-rays in my collection I can watched yet and more on the way.

Possible Viewings This Weekend:
Titles in bold I haven't watched yet.

The Dark Knight Rises
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Red Riding Hood
Stargate (Seen on DVD but not BD)
Street Kings
Let Me in

BD Titles on the Way:
These are titles I have on order. At least some of them should get here in time for my marathon. Titles in bold are ones I haven't watched yet.

Buried (Due to be here Saturday)
Kick-Ass (Seen on DVD but not BD - Due to be here Saturday)
Let the Right One In (Due to be here Saturday)
Salem Witch Trials (Possible but may not make it for this weekend)

Britt's Collection:
Coraline (Seen on DVD but not BD)
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 03:57:05 AM »
Dark Knight Rises is awesome on Blu.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 12:30:40 PM »
Yeah.... Britt and I watched it on BD when I first got it. But it is about time for a second viewing.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 05:11:08 PM »
    The Dark Knight Rises (2012/United States)
Warner Home Video
Director:Christopher Nolan
Writing:Jonathan Nolan (Screenwriter), Christopher Nolan (Screenwriter), Christopher Nolan (Story By), David S. Goyer (Story By), Bob Kane (Original Characters By)
Length:165 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Intense Sequences of Violence and Action, Some Sensuality and Language
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne
Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon
Tom Hardy as Bane
Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Blake
Anne Hathaway as Selina
Marion Cotillard as Miranda

Plot:
Eight years ago, after assuming the blame for D.A. Harvey Dent's death, a disgraced Batman (Christian Bale) mysteriously vanished. But everything changes with the appearance of a cunning cat burglar (Anne Hathaway) and the arrival of Bane (Tom Hardy), a ruthless madman. Bane's reign of terror forces Bruce out of his self-imposed exile and into the ultimate battle for Gotham City's survival...and his own.

Extras:
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this one quite a bit... but I was expecting more from it. I don't know... maybe I let the hype get to me a little too much. But since this is my second viewing of this film I doubt that. It has a pretty good story... but I would have liked to seen Batman on screen more then what we did. The way they did Bane in this one seemed a little odd to me as well. Not bad mind you... just odd. As for  Anne Hathaway as Selina/Cat Woman... I didn't dislike her... but once again it seemed a little odd to me. But the question there is was it odd for me because of how I previously knew the character? Or was it odd for me because I have just recently watched Anne Hathaway play the princess in the Disney movie The Princess Diaries... and just seemed odd to me compared to that? I just don't know. This is one that is definitely worth checking out... just don't let the hype get to you. I would say it isn't my favorite in the franchise... but it is still well worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2013, 08:32:42 PM »
     Splice (2010/United States)
Warner Home Video
Director:Vincenzo Natali
Writing:Vincenzo Natali (Screenwriter), Antoinette Terry Bryant (Screenwriter), Doug Taylor (Screenwriter), Vincenzo Natali (Story By), Antoinette Terry Bryant (Story By)
Length:104 min.
Rating:Rated R : Disturbing Elements Including Strong Sexuality, Nudity, Sci-Fi Violence and Language
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Adrien Brody as Clive Nicoli
Sarah Polley as Elsa Kast
Delphine Chaneac as Dren
Brandon McGibbon as Gavin Nicoli
Simona Maicanescu as Joan Chorot
David Hewlett as William Barlow

Plot:
Superstar genetic engineers Clive (Adrien Brody) and Elsa (Sarah Polley) specialize in splicing DNA from different animals to create incredible new hybrids. Now they want to use human DNA in a hybrid that could revolutionize science and medicine. But when the pharmaceutical company that funds their research forbids it, they secretly take their experiment underground – risking their careers to push the bounderies of science and serve their own curiousity and ambition. The result is Dren, who exceeds their wildest dreams – and threatens to become their worst nightmare.

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
This is my second time seeing this movie. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It held up pretty well on the second viewing. The storyline remains interesting and I like all the characters. I also liked the creature design and the effects in this one. If you never seen this film... give it a chance... I found it well worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2013, 11:40:37 PM »
     Night of the Creeps: Director's Cut (1986/United States)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Fred Dekker
Writing:Fred Dekker (Writer)
Length:90 min.
Rating:Unrated
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Jason Lively as Chris
Steve Marshall as J.C.
Jill Whitlow as Cynthia
Tom Atkins as Ray Cameron
Wally Taylor as Detective Landis
Bruce Solomon as Sgt. Raimi

Plot:
One of the most eagerly-awaited genre films of the 80's finally arrives on Blu-Ray™! When an alien experiment goes awry, it crashes to Earth in 1959 and infects a young college student. Twenty-seven years later, his cryogenically frozen body is thawed out by fraternity pledges...and the campus is quickly overrun by alien creatures — whose victims come back as zombies! Fred Dekker's enjoyable throwback chiller deftly mixes all sorts of genres while simultaneously having fun with them (the college and all the leading characters are named after famous horror movie directors). This jam-packed release contains the ending Dekker always intended. As an added bonus, the original theatrical ending is also included. So reach out and grab this treat for all fans of scary movies, then fire up the Blu-Ray™ player and yell, "Thrill Me!"

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • BD-Live
  • Trivia Track

My Thoughts:
I have been waiting for this one to arrive since I found out I was getting it! This is a film I used to love when I was a teen (I am 44 now). And I haven't seen it since I was a teen! Going into this one, I must admit, I was a little concerned that the film wouldn't live up to my memories. But I do love '80s horror... it is my favorite decade for the genre. I got to say.... I so enjoyed watching this film again! While I may have built it up a little with my memories.... for the most part it lived up to them. The characters are a lot of fun. Story keeps your interest from beginning to end. And the make-up effects are good too. And what I like about this blu-ray release... it has both the director's cut ending as well as the theatrical release ending... which kept the ending open to a possible sequel. I highly recommend adding this one to your collection! I had a blast watching this one again after more years then I care to calculate.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 03:21:43 AM »
I enjoyed this one quite a bit... but I was expecting more from it. I don't know... maybe I let the hype get to me a little too much. But since this is my second viewing of this film I doubt that.

[...]

My Rating:
I just rewatched this last weekend and liked it much better than during my first viewing at the cinema. The fact that Batman only shows up 45min late and then disappears again for a while 30min later didn't bother me. The action in those 30min very well made up for it and the stuff with Bruce Wayne and everyone was holding my attention very well.

Of course, the ending still bothered me in the same way as before...
(click to show/hide)