Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs  (Read 18725 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 10:54:29 PM »
I liked Nancy Drew overall too.  Her acting like she was living in the 50s was a tad odd though.  They had her more modern a lot of the books that I read, so they could have done that for the movie.  But it was still entertaining.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 06:41:29 PM »
     The Bucket List (2007/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Warner Bros. Entertainment, Warner Home Video
Director:Rob Reiner
Writing:Justin Zackham (Writer)
Length:97 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Language, Including a Sexual Reference
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Jack Nicholson as Edward
Morgan Freeman (1937) as Carter
Sean Hayes as Thomas
Beverly Todd as Virginia
Rob Morrow as Dr. Hollins
Alfonso Freeman as Roger

Plot:
You only live once, so why not go out in style? That's what two cancer-ward roommates, an irascible billionaire (Jack Nicholson) and a scholarly mechanic (Morgan Freeman), decide when they get the bad news. They compose a bucket list — things to do before you kick the bucket — and head off for the around-the-world adventure of their lives. Sky-dive? Check. Power a Shelby Mustang around a racetrack? Check. Gaze at the Great Pyramid of Khufu? Check. Discover the joy in their lives before it's too late? Check!

Under the nimble direction of Rob Reiner, the two great stars provide the heart and soul, wit and wiles of this inspired salute to life that proves that the best time of all is right now.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • DVD-ROM Content

My Thoughts:
I been wanting to check out this film for quite a while now... as I thought the trailer looked like a lot of fun. After watching it I can say it is a good movie. It is entertaining... but I was somehow expecting a bit more from it. It is definitely worth the time put in to watch it. But it is definitely one of those cases where all the best parts of the movie was in the trailer.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 08:36:04 PM »
     Bridesmaids: Unrated (2011/United States)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Director:Paul Feig
Writing:Annie Mumolo (Writer), Kristen Wiig (Writer)
Length:125 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Kristen Wiig as Annie
Terry Crews as Boot Camp Instructor
Maya Rudolph as Lillian
Jewelry Store CoupleTom Yi
Elaine Kao

Plot:
"Gut-bustingly funny. BRIDESMAIDS gets an A!!!" (Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly) From the producer of SUPERBAD, KNOCKED UP and THE 40-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN comes the breakout comedy critics are calling "brazenly hysterical!" (Alynda Wheat, People)

Thirty-something Annie (Kristen Wiig) has hit a rough patch but finds her life turned completely upside down when she takes on the Maid of Honor role in her best friend Lillian's (Maya Rudolph) wedding. In way over her head but determined to survive, Annie leads a hilarious hodgepodge of bridesmaids (Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLondon-Covey and Ellie Kemper) on a wild ride down the road to the big event.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:
I first saw this movie (I believe) on cable... and I just didn't like it at all at the time. I mean I really had a hatred for this one. But many people had told me to give it another chance. So when a friend offered to give me this DVD I took her up on it. After watching it today I do feel I was hard on it the last time I watched it. While I still don't think this one is a very good movie. It is entertaining... and worth the time put in to watch it. Though for the most part I still don't like a lot of the type of humor they use in this one. While I can see watching it again... it is one of those that I don't watch all that often.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2013, 09:24:39 PM »
I've seen and heard a lot of good things about this one too.  It was entertaining, but I don't think it was as great as so many people think it is...and I'm tired of every movie with female lead characters being compared to it. 

The Heat has the same director...which did cause me some concern, but I went to see it yesterday.  For me, The Heat is the better movie.  There is a little bit of the raunchy stuff, but it isn't as extreme as Bridesmaids - nothing like what happens in the bridal saloon thankfully.  That was just disgusting.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2013, 09:29:05 PM »
I completely agree with you on the bridal saloon bit. Not something I want to watch for sure.

I have high hopes for Heat. Been wanting to see it since I heard Sandra Bullock is in it.  Big surprise there... huh? :p
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2013, 10:00:25 PM »
:)  I had a feeling you'd want to see it.

I really liked it.  I got my review done at Epinions.  I'm going to try to write up something to post here about it later tonight.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
Look forward to it!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2013, 01:11:58 AM »
     9 (2009/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Director:Shane Acker
Writing:Pamela Pettler (Screenwriter), Shane Acker (Story By)
Length:79 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Violence and Scary Images
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Christopher Plummer as #1
Martin Landau as #2
John C. Reilly as #5
Crispin Glover as #6
Jennifer Connelly as #7
Fred Tatasciore as #8

Plot:
From visionary filmmakers Tim Burton (The Nightmare Before Christmas) and Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted) and Academy Award®-nominated director Shane Acker* comes this visually stunning and original epic adventure. In the final days of humanity, a dedicated scientist gives the spark of life to nine of his creations. The world has turned into an unrecognizable landscape of machines and spare parts, but this group of nine finds that if they band together, their small community might just be able to change the course of history. Featuring the voice talents of Elijah Wood, John C. Reilly, Jennifer Connelly and Crispin Glover, it's a thrilling, suspenseful story critics call "Spellbinding!" (Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times)

* Shane Acker, 2005, Short Film (Animated) – 9

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • 9 - The Original Short with Optional Commentary

My Thoughts:
Decided to watch this one with my daughter today. We both been wanting to check it out for some time now. This one I enjoyed quite a bit. The graphics on this animated movie was fantastic... and I enjoyed the storyline as well. Definitely one I feel comfortable recommending. Brittany on the other hand wasn't too impressed with this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete