Author Topic: Hotel Transylvania  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Hotel Transylvania
« on: June 18, 2013, 03:10:07 AM »

Hotel Transylvania
Year of Release:  2012
Starring:  Adam Sandler, Andy Samberg, Selena Gomez, Kevin James
Directed By:  Genndy Tartakovsky
Genre:  Comedy, Horror

Overview:
Welcome to Hotel Transylvania, Dracula's lavish five-stake resort, where monsters and their families can live it up and no humans are allowed. One special weekend, Dracula (Adam Sandler) has invited all his best friends - Frankenstein and his wife, the Mummy, the Invisible Man, the Werewolf family, and more - to celebrate his beloved daughter Mavis's (Selena Gomez) 118th birthday. For Dracula catering to all of these legendary monsters is no problem but the party really starts when one ordinary guy stumbles into the hotel and changes everything!

My Thoughts:
Another really fun film.  I'm standing by my statement in my review of Paranorman that one of the things Hollywood is doing right these days is animated movies.  The animation is good, the jokes were funny (and only one was a fart joke too!), there was something for kids and adults, and there were several good messages as well (those we fear also fear us, you have to let your children grow up, and you have to have fun to really live).  Sure, there was a lot that was predictable, and it did fall into a trope that I see a lot these days and really don't like (shlub dude gets hot chick*), but overall the faults are unimportant - I laughed a lot and had a good time, and that's what's important in films like this.  Glad to have it in the collection, and I'd recommend it for everyone.

Bechdel Test:  Fail

Overall:  3.5/5

*the reason this annoys me is that I never see the reverse
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield