Author Topic: B-Movie mini-marathon  (Read 5762 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
B-Movie mini-marathon
« on: March 14, 2013, 04:22:03 AM »
As I wrote in another thread, my mom just had a knee replacement and will be out of the house for about 2 weeks.  So while she is gone I'm going to watch movies she has no interest in - B movies!

If anyone wants to take a look at my collection and make a recommendation, feel free!
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: B-Movie mini-marathon
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 04:34:47 AM »

Invasion of the Star Creatures
Year of Release: 1962
Directed By: Bruno VeSota
Starring: Bob Ball, Frankie Ray, Gloria Victor, Dolores Reed
Genre: Science-Fiction, Comedy
Rating: NR

Overview:
On an assignment to investigate a crater, two dimwitted soldiers (Bob Ball and Frankie Ray) stumble upon a scary plant-like creature. Upon following the VegeMonster into a cave, the bumbling buddies are taken prisoner by two beautiful women who have come from outer space to take over Earth. Soon, the not-so-dynamic duo discover the alien vixens lacking in the love department...and think they might've found a way to save the planet!

My Thoughts:
This is a no-budget comedy spoof of 50's sci-fi cheapies.  I didn't know that going into it, but it's obvious from the get go.  The VegeMen are costumes are the cheapest monster suits I've ever seen.  The dialog is absurd, the men are all complete idiots, the jokes are flat ... yet the film kept me laughing.  Normally I'd be offended by the sexism, and the racial stereotyping of the Indians, but the film doesn't take any of that seriously (or take any part of the film serious, for that matter) and I didn't either.  It's a pretty bad film, but they obviously intended to make a bad film so I'm giving it a better rating than something that had other intentions.  It's funny, mindless, and recommended for fans of schlock.  I had a good time.

Bechdel Test: Pass

Overall:  2/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 06:14:05 AM »
Thank for letting me know about that release :thumbup:

The sound on the DVD I have for Invasion of the Bee Girls is awfull (the image isn't that much better). This one have english subtitles and, being a MGM release, the image is certainly better.

So in the wishlist he goes for when I'll need something to reach the free delivery ammount limit.

I realize I'm off-topic, but I don't know the film you reviewed and to see a good version of Invasion of the Bee Girls made me happy :laugh:

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 05:13:55 PM »

Sting of Death
Year of Release: 1965
Directed By: William Grefe
Starring: Joe Morrison, Valerie Hawkins, John Vella, Jack Nagle
Genre: Horror

Overview:
A mad marine biologist sneaks off to an underwater lab, transforms himself into a mutant half-man, half-jellyfish, and attacks college kids with his STING OF DEATH! Why? Because he's in love! Really. And with his giant bulbous head (that looks like a man trapped inside a plastic garbage bag), the jellyfish man may very well be the single most hilarious-looking movie monster yet committed to film. A kitsch classick unseen for decades, STING OF DEATH has finally been digitally transferred from the original 35mm negative so now you too can join Special Singing Guest Star Neil Sedaka and do the dance craze that didn't sweep the nation: the jilla-jalla "Jellyfish!"

My Thoughts:
Kitsch is a very good word.  I think this should have a drinking game: every time the camera focuses on someone's ass, drink a shot.  You'd be drunk right after the dancing scene.  The Jellyfish dance is hilarious and worth the watch for lovers of cheesy films.  The characters are flat, the acting is non-existent, the monster costume laughable, but the cinematography is actually good.  There are lots of good shots of the Everglades, both above and below water.  Not as entertaining as Invasion of the Star Creatures, but the location shots compel me to rate is as high.

Bechdel Test:  Pass

Overall: 2/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 05:26:17 PM »

Creature From the Haunted Sea
Year of Release: 1961
Directed By: Roger Corman
Starring: Antony Carbone, Betsy Jones-Moreland, Edward Wain, Beech Dickerson, Robert Bean
Genre: Horror, Comedy

Overview:
A government agent learns that a Caribbean island is in revolt and a mobster is shipping off with fellow criminals and the treasury loot.  The agent decides he must infiltrate the gang to try to steal the booty, but first he has to invent a deadly sea creature so that he can more easily attain the treasure.

My Thoughts:
I love the creature!  He's absolutely great!  Beyond that, this was a pretty funny film, with Carbone doing an impression of Bogart as the gangster through the whole film, the secret agent is completely clueless and the rest of the gang are the most improbable group of criminals you could imagine.  There's a subtle political critique too, since the "good guy" is an idiot American spy, the bad guys are trying to rob Cuban military men who, in turn, stole the gold from the Cuban treasury.  Ultimately you gotta root for the monster!  He's the best!

I think if you like Roger Corman you'll like this film. 

Bechdel Test:  Fail

Overall: 2.25/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 05:41:50 PM »
There are lots of good shots of the Everglades, both above and below water.
You should try to watch Stanley as almost all the films was made in that area.

The Code Red release is OOP, but you can get it in that boxset without any extras but the print quality is surprisingly good for the low price.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 07:27:45 PM »
Are you sure Stanley is OOP? I recently bought a bunch of DVDs from Code Red and Stanely was one of them.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 08:09:05 PM »
With Bill it is always complicated :laugh:

I know it isn't listed in his store anymore, but maybe he have some leftover in his warehouse. The trick is to ask him by email when a title isn't listed, but unless you know him or order from him previously the chance to get something in a direct sale are slim. 

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 07:00:02 PM »

Beast From Haunted Cave
Year of Release: 1959
Directed By: Monte Hellman
Starring: Michael Forest, Sheila Carol, Frank Wolff, Wally Campo, Richard Sinatra
Genre: Horror

Overview:
Beast from Haunted Cave is a chilling thriller about four gold thieves who unwittingly awaken a bloodthirsty spider-like creature in its lair.  Little do they know that the beast has left its lair to quietly prey upon them from the eerie shadows as they flee for a hideout in the woods.

My Thoughts:
Overall this is a pretty dull film, and though I did really dislike the villain, the hero was so dull I couldn't root for him and his love interest is an equally dull drunken, cynical moll.  The last fifteen minutes or so of the film are the best, but I disliked the ending.  I liked the design of the monster quite a lot, especially considering this film must have had zero budget.  Not nearly as fun as Sting of Death.

Bechdel Test: Fail

Overall: 1.75/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield