Author Topic: Please change your player's menu to your native language  (Read 16445 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Please change your player's menu to your native language
« on: August 03, 2013, 06:49:19 PM »
I just put my German release of Futurama's sixth season into my DVD player and I got the message "please change your player's menu to your native language" and it does not continue. This is the first time I got something like this. I have set my Player to English, which I prefer.
I think it is because of the anti-piracy spot, which usually comes up in English because of my player's setting. Here they have gone one step further and want to force me to watch the German anti-piracy spot  :voodoo:

Has anyone ever seen something like this before?

I guess I won't be watching Futurama now after all. I am not in the mood for such a crap.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Please change your player's menu to your native language
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 04:58:20 AM »
 :o

How do they even know what your native language is, to at least that it isn't English...? Freaky!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 09:29:30 AM »
I am guessing because it is a German release and it wants to play in German. Though the native language part is strange.

kahless

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 10:33:22 AM »
I have a similar issue with the TV series "Bones". You have to change the entire settings (audio, subtitles, menu language) from the blu ray player to German language, otherwise the playback of the dvd stops.  :thumbdown:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »
You mean people speak other languages?!?  :tease:

How annoying - can you buy a player that does not do that? Or is that a built in requirement for any players sold in your country?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 04:20:25 PM »
This message comes from the DVD. It checks the preferred menu language setting of your player. And if it isn't German, this message comes up.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 06:16:18 AM »
So in a way it is meant to avoid selling these DVDs outside Germany? So if I were to buy these, I couldn't play these, because IIRC my DVD player doesn't even have an option for German...? :headscratch:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 09:36:53 AM »
That is a bit controlling.  Why should they care what language anyone wants to watch a movie in?  And there could be people living in Germany that aren't fluent in the language and don't want to watch something in German - like military people.