Author Topic: Tom's Cinderella/Snow White/Sleeping Beauty Movie Marathon  (Read 13097 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Cinderella/Snow White/Sleeping Beauty Movie Marathon
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 11:18:30 PM »
The following review is a repost:

The Slipper and the Rose (1976/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Director:Bryan Forbes
Writing:Bryan Forbes (Screenwriter), Robert B. Sherman (Screenwriter), Richard M. Sherman (Screenwriter)
Length:143 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Sherrie Hewson as Palatine
John Turner as Major Domo
Rosalind Ayres as Isabella
Keith Skinner as Willoughby
Polly Williams as Lady Caroline

Plot:
THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE is a grand musical adventure in the tradition of 'The Sound of Music' and 'My Fair Lady'. This lavish production features Richard Chamberlain in a spirited re-telling of the classic Cinderella fairy tale. The Academy Award nominated score is provided by the Sherman brothers, the Oscar-winning song-writing duo ('Mary Poppins', 'The Jungle Book', 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'). THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE is a brilliant mix of fantasy and realism that will enchant viewers of all ages.

No musical collection would be complete without this romantically delightful film.

Awards:
Nominated:
Academy Award (1977)  Best Music, Adaptation / Original Song Score (Richard M. Sherman, Robert B. Sherman (Song Score), Angela Morley (Adaptation Score))
Academy Award (1977)  Best Music, Song (Richard M. Sherman, Robert B. Sherman (Music/Lyrics))
BAFTA (1976)  Anthony Asquith Memorial Award (Richard M. Sherman, Robert B. Sherman)
BAFTA (1976)  Costume Design (Julie Harris)
BAFTA (1976)  Production Design (Raymond Simm)
BAFTA (1976)  Supporting Actor (Michael Hordern)
BAFTA (1976)  Supporting Actress (Annette Crosbie)
Saturn (1977)  Best Costumes (Julie Harris)
Saturn (1977)  Best Fantasy Film

Extras:
  • Closed Captioned
  • Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
A nice Cinderella musical. Just a tad too long. Interesting point in this movie. They do something here the other Cinderella movie mostly choose too overlook. The prince and Cinderella get together 1.5 hour into the movie, but they have to overcome another obstacle then: Convince the parents of the prince that he can marry someone not of royal blood.

Rating:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 07:26:29 AM »
I was thinking that I had seen something else that was a version of Cinderella or Snow White, but I can't remember what it was now.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 01:15:56 PM »
     Snow White (2001/Canada)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United Kingdom)
Director:Caroline Thompson
Writing:The Brothers Grimm (Original Material By), The Brothers Grimm (Original Material By), Caroline Thompson (Screenwriter), Julie Hickson (Screenwriter)
Length:91 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:

Stars:
Miranda Richardson as Elspeth
Tom Irwin as John
Vera Farmiga as Josephine
Kristin Kreuk as Snow White
Clancy Brown as The Granter of Wishes

Plot:
There is perhaps no more beloved Brothers Grimm fairy tale than the legend of a beautiful young girl fleeing her home because of a jealous stepmother. Now more breathtaking than any previous interpretation, Snow White is a fantasy of truly epic scope.

Miranda Richardson (Enchanted April, Merlin) stars as Queen Elspeth, the beautiful, yet vain stepmother whose desire to be the "fairest in the land" ultimately leads her to conspire to kill any rival for that title. Kristin Kreuk (Smallville) stars as Snow White, the winsome young princess who is forced to run away into the forest where she finds protection and shelter with a band of peculiar little men. Snow White is a magical adventure with such dazzling special effects and unforgettable characters that it will instantly capture the hearts – and imaginations – of a whole new generation.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes

My Thoughts:
An okay movie with some nice ideas, but overall rather boring. I think this movie was made before Kristin Kreuk was cast in Smallville. Strange that she seems to be cast in roles which typically doesn't fit her look. Lana Lang was supposed to be a redhead. I didn't mind the change though. And Snow White is supposed to have very white skin. They had to use a lot of make-up here to achieve this effect. Her hair is the perfect fit for the role though.
Fun was the casting of Vincent Schiavelli as one of the dwarfs. He sticks out like a sore thumb, which of course was the joke.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 04:39:54 PM »
     A Cinderella Story: Once Upon a Song (2011/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(Germany)
Director:Damon Santostefano
Writing:Erik Patterson (Writer), Jessica Scott (Writer), Leigh Dunlap (Original Characters By)
Length:85 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:German: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Hungarian: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Spanish

Stars:
Lucy Hale as Katie Gibbs
Freddie Stroma as Luke Morgan
Missi Pyle as Gail Van Ravensway
Megan Park as Bev Van Ravensway
Matthew Lintz as Victor Van Ravensway

Extras:
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
A nice enough story. Of course very predictable and nothing really new. But I enjoyed watching it.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2023, 09:39:04 AM »
     Cinderella (2015/United States/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment (Germany)
Director:Kenneth Branagh
Writing:Chris Weitz (Screenwriter)
Length:105 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.39
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, German: DTS-HD High Resolution 7.1, Greek: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: DTS 5.1, Turkish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English, German, Italian, Greek, Turkish

Stars:
Cate Blanchett as Stepmother
Lily James as Cinderella
Richard Madden as Prince
Helena Bonham Carter as Fairy Godmother
Nonso Anozie as Captain

Plot:
When her father unexpectedly dies, young Ella finds herself at the mercy of her cruel stepmother and her scheming stepsisters. Never one to give up hope, Ella's fortunes begin to change after meeting a dashing stranger.

Awards:
Nominated:
Academy Award (2015)  Best Costume Design (Sandy Powell)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Kurzfilm: "Die Eiskönigin: Party-Fieber"

My Thoughts:
I saw this one at the cinema at the time. A friend of mine had won multiple free tickets. When I recently rewatched the live-action remake of Aladdin, I got in the mood to rewatch that one. So I have added it to my collection.
It is a straight forward adaption of the story. No real surprises here. But I enjoyed it. But not a must-see.

Rating: