Author Topic: Tom's Cinderella/Snow White/Sleeping Beauty Movie Marathon  (Read 13096 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Tom's Cinderella/Snow White/Sleeping Beauty Movie Marathon
« on: November 28, 2012, 11:40:48 PM »
Cinderella movie marathon

I already did this marathon five years ago. But since then I got quite a few new movies which are based on the Cinderella fairy tale. I may extend this marathon to a "Snow White"/"Sleeping Beauty" theme.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:06:39 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Tom's Cinderella Movie Marathon
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:35:42 PM »
     Cinderella (1950/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Walt Disney Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Director:Wilfred Jackson, Hamilton Luske, Clyde Geronimi
Writing:Charles Perrault (Original Material By), William Peed (Story By), Erdman Penner (Story By), Ted Sears (Story By), Winston Hibler (Story By), Homer Brightman (Story By), Harry Reeves (Story By), Kenneth Anderson (Story By), Joe Rinaldi (Story By)
Length:74 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.33
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio 1, Italian: DTS 5.1
Subtitles:English, Italian

Stars:
Ilene Woods as Cinderella (voice)
Eleanor Audley as Lady Tremaine (voice)
Verna Felton as Fairy Godmother (voice)
Claire DuBrey as Fairy Godmother (Live-action model)
Rhoda Williams as Drizella (voice)

Plot:
Disney's Cinderella is transformed to a new level of brilliance on Blu-ray. Rediscover the timeless story, the memorable music and unforgettable characters - now more enchanting than ever with pristine digital picture and dazzling high definition sound!

Cinderella has faith her dreams will come true. With help from her loyal mice friends and a wave of her Fairy Grandmother's wand, Cinderella's rags are magically transformed into a glorious gown and off she goes to the Royal Ball. But when the clock strikes midnight, the spell is broken, leaving only a single glass slipper... the only key to the ultimate fairy-tale ending!

Awards:
Won:
Berlinale (1951)  Goldener Bär für den besten Film (Wilfred Jackson)
Nominated:
Academy Award (1950)  Best Music, Musical Picture (Oliver Wallace, Paul J. Smith)
Academy Award (1950)  Best Music, Song (Mack David, Al Hoffman, Jerry Livingston (Music/Lyrics))
Academy Award (1950)  Best Sound Recording (C. O. Slyfield (Sound Director, Walt Disney Studio Sound Department))
AFI (1950)  100 Years... 100 Movies (1998)
AFI (1950)  100 Years... 100 Passions (2002)
AFI (1950)  100 Years... 100 Songs (2004) (A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes)
AFI (1950)  100 Years... 100 Songs (2004) (Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo)
Hugo Award (1951)  Dramatic Presentation

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Short: Tangled Ever After

My Thoughts:
Of the big animated Disney movies I saw, this is one of my least-favorite. Too much focus is put on the animals instead of Cinderella for my taste. This is why it took this long that this movie got into my collection. And only because it is a triple pack with the two sequels. I have seen the second one in the past and remember enjoying it. And the third one seems to be a time-travel movie, which is always a plus for me.
The highlight for me on this disc is the short "Tangled Ever After". One of my favorite Disney movies is "Tangled", and that short is kind of a sequel to it. It shows the wedding.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 09:25:04 PM »
     Cinderella II: Dreams Come True (2005/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United Kingdom)
Director:John Kafka
Writing:Jill Blotevogel (Screenwriter), Tom Rogers (Screenwriter), Jule Selbo (Screenwriter), Tom Rogers (Screenwriter), Tom Rogers (Screenwriter), Tom Rogers (Screenwriter)
Length:73 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.66
Audio:
Subtitles:

Stars:
Jennifer Hale as Cinderella (voice)
Rob Paulsen as Jaq/Grand Duke/the Baker/Sir Hugh/Bert/Flower Vendor (voice)
Corey Burton as Gus/Mert/Stable Hand (voice)
Andre Stojka as The King (voice)
Russi Taylor as Fairy Godmother/Drizella/Mary Mouse/Beatrice (voice)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this direct-to-video sequel more than the original movie. Mainly because Cinderella gets more focus. There are three separate stories in this movie. I liked the first one. It deals with Cinderella's first few days in the castle after her honeymoon. The second story is again too much about the animals (especially one of the mice). The third story is okay again though. It is about Cinderella helping one of her stepsister getting a man.

Rating:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 01:39:52 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »
     Cinderella III: A Twist in Time (2007/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United Kingdom)
Director:Frank Nissen
Writing:Daniel Berendsen (Screenwriter), Margaret Heidenry (Screenwriter), Colleen Ventimilia (Screenwriter), Eddie Guzelian (Screenwriter)
Length:74 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Dutch: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:Arabic, English, French, Hindi, Dutch

Stars:
Jennifer Hale as Cinderella (voice)
C. D. Barnes as Prince (voice)
Susan Blakeslee as Stepmother (voice)
Tress MacNeille as Anastasia (voice)
Russi Taylor as Drizella & Fairy Godmother (voice)

Plot:
What if the slipper didn't fit? Experience the wonder and the majesty of Cinderella's classic fairy tale with a spectacular twist in Disney's all-new motion picture adventure 'Cinderella: A Twist In Time'.

When her evil stepmother gets hold of Fairy Godmother's magic wand and turns back the hands of time, Cinderella must find Prince Charming and break through the new spell. Gus, Jaq and all your favourite characters return in an exciting and hilarious new take on one of the most celebrated films of all time. Bursting with show-stopping music and more magic, wonder and suspense than the original, 'Cinderella: A Twist In Time' is enchanting entertainment for the entire family.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
My favorite of the three. I quite enjoyed it. It is a what-if story. What if the shoe didn't fit but instead fit one of the stepsisters. This time the movie really had the focus on Cinderella and even the prince. Even he got a little character this time around.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 09:52:58 PM »
The following review is a repost:

A Cinderella Story (2004/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United Kingdom)
Director:Mark Rosman
Writing:Leigh Dunlap (Writer)
Length:91 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Arabic, English, Hebrew

Stars:
Hilary Duff as Sam
Jennifer Coolidge as Fiona
Chad Michael Murray as Austin
Dan Byrd as Carter
Regina King as Rhonda

Plot:
Meet high school student Sam (Hilary Duff), who scrubs floors at a diner, copes with her wicked stepmother and stepsisters, and all the while dreams of Princeton (the perfect spot for a would-be princess to find a prince). But maybe she has a Prince Charming already: her anonymous e-mail buddy (Chad Michael Murray), who arranges to meet her at the Halloween dance. Sam panics when Mr. Anonymous turns out to be the coolest guy on campus. Can he love a girl who isn't part of the in crowd? Can fairy tales come true? Sure - but only if Sam stands up for herself and turns her dreams into reality.

Awards:
Won:
Teen Choice Awards (2004)  Choice Breakout Movie Star - Male (Chad Michael Murray)
Teen Choice Awards (2005)  Choice Movie Blush Scene (Hilary Duff)
Teen Choice Awards (2005)  Choice Movie Sleazebag (Jennifer Coolidge)
Nominated:
Golden Raspberry Awards (2004)  Worst Actress (Hilary Duff)
Teen Choice Awards (2005)  Choice Date Movie
Teen Choice Awards (2005)  Choice Movie Actress: Comedy (Hilary Duff)
Teen Choice Awards (2005)  Choice Movie Chemistry (Hilary Duff, Chad Michael Murray)
Teen Choice Awards (2005)  Choice Movie Liplock (Hilary Duff, Chad Michael Murray)
Teen Choice Awards (2005)  Choice Movie Love Scene (Chad Michael Murray, Hilary Duff)
Teen Choice Awards (2004)  Choice Movie of the Summer

Extras:
  • Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
Because of mediocre reviews and a horrible DVD cover, I never bothered to pick this one up in the past. But now I was in the mood for a Cinderella story and I saw this movie cheap in a two-movie set.
I have to admit I enjoyed this movie. There aren't any surprises but I never actually expected them anyway. I expected a Cinderella story and that I got. Including the girl being orphaned and being left with a evil stepmother and stepsisters. A midnight deadline, a ball and a happy ending.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 07:53:23 PM »
     Three Wishes for Cinderella (1973/Czechoslovakia/East Germany)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Icestorm (Germany)
Director:Václav Vorlícek
Writing:Bozena Nemcová (Original Material By), Bohumila Zelenková (Screenwriter)
Length:82 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78, Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:German: DTS 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Swiss German: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:German

Stars:
Libuse Safránková as Aschenbrödel
Pavel Trávnícek as Prinz
Carola Braunbock as Stiefmutter
Rolf Hoppe as König
Karin Lesch as Königin

Plot:
The film stars Libuse Safránková as the title character, a young woman who is put upon by her stepmother and stepsisters. The film employs a twist, though, when a handsome prince comes knocking. Cinderella does not simply fall into the prince's arms. In this version, he must actively pursue the young woman who is a skilled sharpshooter prone to wearing hunting outfits. Cinderella also has three wishes at her disposal, gained from three magic nuts.

Extras:
  • Featurettes
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Since I last did a Cinderella marathon, I double-dipped for this movie and got it on Blu-ray. One of my favorite Cinderella movies and probably the one with the most adorable Cinderella.
This is a charming Czech/German co-production and tells the czech version of the Cinderella story (and not the version by Charles Perrault made famous by Disney, which is mostly known in the US).

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Tom's Cinderella/Snow White/Sleeping Beauty Movie Marathon
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 09:37:14 PM »

Sydney White (2008/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Director:Joe Nussbaum
Writing:Chad Gomez Creasey (Writer)
Length:103 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Amanda Bynes as Sydney White
Sara Paxton as Rachel
Matt Long as Tyler
Jack Carpenter as Lenny
Jeremy Howard as Terrence

Plot:
America's sweetheart Amanda Bynes stars in the fun comedy Sydney White. When tomboy Sydney (Bynes) is banished from the most popular sorrity on campus, she is taken in by seven socially challanged but endearing guys. With the help of her new friends, Sydney stands up for outcasts everywhere and takes on the reigning campus queen in a popularity showdown! But can she succeed and also win the heart of gorgeous frat guy Tyler Prince? You'll love this hilarious and sweet age-old story with a charming modern-day twist!

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
After I have had watched "She's the Man" recently, I have stumbled across another Amanda Bynes movie: "Sydney White". As I had found it really cheap in a three movie set, I decided to buy it. The other two movies in this set I didn't really enjoy, but I liked this one. It's a fun modern version of "Snow White".
The dwarfs part in this movie is taken over by the "Seven Dorks", with a lot of familiar faces. Like Danny Strong (Jonathan from Buffy) and Samm Levine (Freak and Geeks). Another familiar TV actor in this movie is John Schneider (Jonathan Kent from Smallville, Dukes of Hazard) who plays Sydney's father.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »

Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella (1957/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Image Entertainment (United States)
Director:Ralph Nelson
Writing:Oscar Hammerstein II (Writer)
Length:77 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 1
Subtitles:

Stars:
Julie Andrews as Cinderella
Howard Lindsay as The King
Dorothy Stickney as The Queen
Ilka Chase as The Stepmother
Kaye Ballard as Stepsister Portia

Plot:
A Golden Moment from the Golden Age of Television

In 1957, Broadway's reigning songwriters and Broadway's brightest new star joined forces to create a new musical version of CINDERELLA; it's one-night-only broadcast on CBS-TV was viewed by more than 115 million people – one of the largest audiences in television history – and an instant legend was born.

Julie Andrews, the toast of Broadway for her performance in My Fair Lady, played the title role, joined by a stellar cast of Broadway all-stars. Providing a new take on the timeless tale as well and a bounty of beautiful ballads, comedy numbers and waltzes were the team of Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II, already at the top of their game, thanks to such musicals as Oklahoma!, South Pacific and The King and I.

Though Rodgers & Hammerstein's CINDERELLA has gone through several TV remakes and hundreds of stage productions, the original, magical version vanished after its initial broadcast, never to be seen again...until now.

So take a journey back in time to a special moment in television history, and see it as it happened – live. Many fans thought they would never get the chance but, as the Fairy Godmother says, "Impossible things are happening every day!"

Extras:
  • Featurettes
  • Introduction by Julie Andrews
  • Photo Gallery
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Interesting to see as this was a live broadcast from the 50s and was thought to be lost. Fortunatly the B&W video for broadcasting this on the west coast had survived. The video and audio quality is therefore not that great. In this musical we see a very young Julie Andrews. And Man-at-arms as the prince :laugh:

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 10:28:08 PM »
     Snow White and the Huntsman (2012/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Home Entertainment (Germany)
Director:Rupert Sanders
Writing:Evan Daugherty (Screenwriter), John Lee Hancock (Screenwriter), Hossein Amini (Screenwriter), Evan Daugherty (Story By)
Length:132 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, German: DTS 5.1, Portuguese: DTS 5.1, Spanish: DTS 5.1, Italian: DTS 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:Danish, English, German, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Kristen Stewart as Snow White
Chris Hemsworth as The Huntsman
Charlize Theron as Ravenna
Sam Claflin as William
Sam Spruell as Finn

Plot:
In a twist to the fairy tale, the Huntsman ordered to take Snow White into the woods to be killed winds up becoming her protector and mentor in a quest to vanquish the Evil Queen.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy
  • Wendecover
  • Extended and Theatrical Versions
  • U-Control
  • My Scenes

My Thoughts:
I have wanted to watch this movie since I first heard about it. I liked the idea of it. I enjoyed it, but I must admit that I expected more of it. Say what you may about Kristen Stewart, she is beautiful in this movie and was a good casting choice.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 06:20:59 PM »

Ever After (1998/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (Germany)
Director:Andy Tennant
Writing:Susannah Grant (Screenwriter), Andy Tennant (Screenwriter), Rick Parks (Screenwriter)
Length:116 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English, German, Spanish

Stars:
Drew Barrymore as Danielle
Anjelica Huston as Rodmilla
Dougray Scott as Prince Henry
Patrick Godfrey as Leonardo
Megan Dodds as Marguerite

Plot:
Once upon a time...

'a dazzling rendering of the Cinderella story' (The Washington Post) brought new life to an age-old legend and made us believe in the strongest magic of all: the power of the human heart. Drew Barrymore and Anjelica Huston star in this enchanting adventure about having the courage to make your dreams come true.

A 'modern' young woman of the 16th century, Danielle (Barrymore) is as independent and wise as she is beautiful and kind. Against remarkable odds, she stands up to her scheming stepmother (Huston) and works miracles on the lives of everyone around her, including the crown prince of France (Dougray Scott)!

Now you can relive this captivating contemporary retelling of the classic fairy tale. No matter what you're looking for, 'action, romance, adventure...'Ever After' delivers it all!' (ABC-TV)

Awards:
Won:
Blockbuster Entertainment Awards (1999)  Favorite Actress - Drama/Romance (Drew Barrymore)
Blockbuster Entertainment Awards (1999)  Favorite Supporting Actress - Drama/Romance (Anjelica Huston)
Saturn (1998)  Best Actress (Drew Barrymore)
Saturn (1998)  Best Costumes (Jenny Beaven)
Nominated:
AFI (1998)  100 Years... 100 Passions (2002)
Blockbuster Entertainment Awards (1999)  Favorite Male Newcomer (Dougray Scott)
Satellite Awards (1999)  Best Costume Design (Jenny Beavan)
Saturn (1998)  Best Music (George Fenton)
Saturn (1998)  Best Supporting Actress (Anjelica Huston)
Teen Choice Awards (1999)  Film - Choice Breakout Performance (Dougray Scott)
Teen Choice Awards (1999)  Film - Choice Drama

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
One of my all-time favorite movies! Definately my favorite Cinderella adaption. I loved this movie since I first saw it in the theatres. It made me a fan of Drew Barrymore.
It is a take on the Cinderalla story without any mystical help of a fairy godmother and such (if you do not count Da Vinci as a godmother).
Also nice to see that it is not Prince Henry who saves Danielle at the last moment, but that she saved herself. Her expression on her face when he comes for her rescue is a "What are YOU doing here?!"

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 08:46:06 PM »
     Mirror Mirror (2012/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

StudioCanal (United Kingdom)
Director:Tarsem Singh Dhandwar
Writing:Marc Klein (Screenwriter), Jason Keller (Screenwriter), Melisa Wallack (Story By)
Length:106 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85
Audio:English: PCM 2.0 Stereo, English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Julia Roberts as The Queen
Lily Collins as Snow White
Armie Hammer as Prince Alcott
Nathan Lane as Brighton
Jordan Prentice as Napoleon

Plot:
A classic fairy tale Snow White gets a modern make over in the enchanting MIRROR MIRROR. In a kingdom far away an evil queen (Julia Roberts, Eat Pray Love) has taken control of the land and has her eyes set on the young, handsome Prince Alcott (Armie Hammer, The Social Network). Aided by witchcraft and her bumbling assistant Brighton (Nathan Lane, Mouse Hunt) she plans to steal his heart. The only thing standing in her way is her beautiful stepdaughter Snow White (Lily Collins, The Blind Side). Banished to the dark forest Snow White enists the help of seven outlaw dwarves who vow to help her take back her kingdom and break the spell cast over her beloved prince. Lavish, magical and hilarious, MIRROR MIRROR is romance and adventure at its most spectacular.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
I heard not so good things about this movie, but I am pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed this movie. A nice retelling of the Snow White story.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 11:30:42 PM »
The next one borrows heavily from Snow White and Cinderella. The review is a repost:

Enchanted (2007/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Director:Kevin Lima
Writing:Bill Kelly (Writer)
Length:107 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Spanish: DTS 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:Danish, English, Finnish, Icelandic, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Julie Andrews as Narrator (voice)
Amy Adams as Giselle
Patrick Dempsey as Robert Philip
James Marsden as Prince Edward
Timothy Spall as Nathaniel

Plot:
A fairy tale comes to life in this thoroughly original, new Disney Classic. And the sights and sounds are even more stunning on Disney Blu-ray.

Drawing inspiration from its classic heritage, Disney creates an inspired story unlike any you've experienced before. Filled with excitement, fun and spectacular music from the legendary Alan Menken, Enchanted is the ultimate fish-out-of-water adventure. For princess-to-be Giselle, life is a fairy tale — until she's banished from the animated land of Andalasia and thrust into the very unmagical, live-action world of modern-day Manhattan. When a cynical, no-nonsense divorce lawyer comes to her aid, little does he realize this joyful, wide-eyed innocent is about to enchant him. Enchanted — the musical comedy that casts a more entrancing and dazzling spell in Blu-ray™ High Definition.

Awards:
Won:
ASCAP Awards (2008)  Top Box Office Films (Stephen Schwartz)
BMI Film & TV Music Awards (2008)  BMI Film Music Award (Alan Menken)
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards (2008)  Best Family Film
Saturn (2007)  Best Actress (Amy Adams)
Saturn (2007)  Best Fantasy Film
Saturn (2007)  Best Music (Alan Menken)
Nominated:
Academy Award (2007)  Best Music, Song (Alan Menken (Music), Stephen Schwartz (Lyrics))
Academy Award (2007)  Best Music, Song (Alan Menken (Music), Stephen Schwartz (Lyrics))
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards (2008)  Best Actress (Amy Adams)
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards (2008)  Best Composer (Alan Menken)
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards (2008)  Best Song (Amy Adams)
Casting Society of America Awards (2008)  Outstanding Achievement in Casting – Studio Feature – Comedy (John Papsidera, Marcia Ross, Susan Shopmaker)
Costume Designers Guild Awards (2008)  Excellence in Costume Design for Film – Fantasy (Mona May)
Golden Globe (2007)  Actress in a Leading Role - Musical or Comedy (Amy Adams)
Golden Globe (2007)  Original Song
Grammy Awards (2009)  Best Song Written for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media (Alan Menken, Stephen Schwartz)
Grammy Awards (2009)  Best Song Written for Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media (Alan Menken, Stephen Schwartz)
Hugo Award (2008)  Dramatic Presentation, Long Form
MTV Movie Awards (2008)  Best Comedic Performance (Amy Adams)
MTV Movie Awards (2008)  Best Female Performance (Amy Adams)
MTV Movie Awards (2008)  Best Kiss (Amy Adams, Patrick Dempsey)
National Movie Awards (2008)  Best Female Performance (Amy Adams)
National Movie Awards (2008)  Best Musical Film
Satellite Awards (2007)  Best Actress – Comedy or Musical (Amy Adams)
Satellite Awards (2007)  Best Visual Effects (Thomas Schelesny, Matt Jacobs, Tom Gibbons)
Scream Awards (2008)  Best Actress in a Fantasy Movie or TV Show (Amy Adams)
Teen Choice Awards (2008)  Choice Movie Actor: Comedy (James Marsden)
Teen Choice Awards (2008)  Choice Movie Actress: Comedy (Amy Adams)
Teen Choice Awards (2008)  Choice Movie Villian (Susan Sarandon)
Teen Choice Awards (2008)  Choice Movie: Chick Flick
Young Artist Awards (2008)  Best Performance in a Feature Film – Young Actress Age Ten or Younger (Rachel Covey)

Extras:
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Game
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed this movie! I enjoy Disney movies like "Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and the Beast" and I like romantic comedies. Here we have both :)
Amy Adams really plays the typical Disney princess stranded in the real world very well. I also enjoyed the songs. It was a good choice to let Alan Menken, who has won Oscars for the songs in "Little Mermaid", "Beauty and the Beast" and other Disney movies, write them.
This movie really feels like a live-action version of a classic Disney fairy tale movie.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 10:21:07 PM »
The next one is a Cinderella story with a twist. The review is a repost:

Ella Enchanted (2004/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Miramax Home Entertainment (Canada)
Director:Tommy O'Haver
Writing:Laurie Craig (Screenwriter), Karen McCullah Lutz (Screenwriter), Kirsten Smith (Screenwriter), Jennifer Heath (Screenwriter), Michele J. Wolff (Screenwriter), Gail Carson Levine (Original Material By)
Length:96 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Anne Hathaway as Ella
Hugh Dancy as Char
Cary Elwes as Edgar
Aidan McArdle as Slannen
Joanna Lumley as Dame Olga

Plot:
Anne Hathaway, the delightful star of The Princess Diaries, is Ella in the charming fairy-tale adventure Ella Enchanted. On the day of her birth, Ella is given a gift from her Fairy Godmother - the gift of obedience, which is also a curse. Under no circumstance can Ella refuse anything she is asked to do, no matter how wicked it may be. Tired of being taken advantage of, Ella, with a talking book as her companion, leaves home to find her Fairy Godmother and return her unwanted gift. This simple errand soon turns into an amazing journey filled with ogres, giants, wicked stepsisters, elves and the plotting of Prince Charmont's evil uncle, who wants to take over the crown and rule the kingdom. Bursting with colorful characters, music, wit and whimsy, Ella Enchanted is a truly enchanting and heart-warming tale that will captivate the entire family.

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned
  • Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Game
  • Music Videos
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
One of my guilty pleasures. I enjoy this movie each time. I have seen it on average once a year since I got it. Anne Hathaway is just great in it. I think it's sad that she turned her back on these kind of roles.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 08:14:07 PM »
I am not finished with this marathon yet, but are there some additional Cinderella or Snow White inspired movies which you can recommend?
I have one on the way (the one with Kristin Kreuk as Snow White) and another one on my wish list which I will buy with my next order ("Snow White: A Tale of Terror").

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 09:51:33 PM »
     Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella (1965/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Charles S. Dubin
Writing:Joseph Schrank (Screenwriter)
Length:83 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Ginger Rogers as Queen
Walter Pidgeon as King
Celeste Holm as Fairy Godmother
Jo Van Fleet as Stepmother
Stuart Damon as Prince

Plot:
Cinderella comes to life in this echanting version of the most beloved fairy tale of all time. A sparkling fantasy of music, magic and romance, RODGERS & HAMMERSTEIN'S CINDERELLA captivates from overture to finale with a delightful score and glittering performances from an all-star cast. Academy Award nominated LESLEY ANN WARREN is charming as the raggedy waif turned belle of the ball with Broadway star STUART DAMON as the Prince. Also starring Academy Award nominated WALTER PIDGEON, Academy Award Winner GINGER ROGERS and Academy Award Winner CELESTE HOLM as the Fairy Godmother, CINDERELLA will waltz into the hearts of the entire family and live happily ever after as one of the most irresistible musicals ever made.

Extras:
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Scene Access
  • Sing-Along
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
A remake of the live-broadcast. I enjoyed this one more. Although there is something which bothered me a little. The stepsisters of Cinderella look the same age as their mother. Also the video quality could have been better.

Rating: