Author Topic: Addicted2comics(:P)'s Official Review Thread - T.V. Show Editon  (Read 20880 times)

addicted2comics(:P)

Re: Addicted2comics(:P)'s Official Review Thread - T.V. Show Editon
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2012, 01:30:15 AM »
yeah, i know why.

it can still bug a person  :tv:

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2012, 11:04:59 PM »

DN Angel

Plot: Niwa Daisuke is your average teenager, until his fourteenth birthday. He tries to declare his love to the girl of his dreams, but fails. Suddenly, whenever he thinks about this girl he turns into the legendary phantom thief known as Dark Mousy. Daisuke's mother, very much aware of this, makes him turn into Dark and steal valuable works of art for a purpose unknown to Daisuke. As the story unfolds, he learns why, and about his classmate who seems to have the same ability.

Opening:

My Thoughts: DN Angel was not a show I watched purely for the plot, I’ll admit. I’m a fan of Vic Mignogna’s work, so, seeing as Dark Mousy is one of his more popular roles below Edward Elric, I decided to watch it, despite a more romantic plot. I truly hate romance, so this was a choice I easily came to regret. Still, it was only 26 episodes and the “Phantom Thief” aspect to the story was intriguing, so I never truly grew tired of it.

Really, the hardest part to watch about this show, at least in my love-hating eyes, was Daisuke trying to decide which one of these twin girls he loved more. There were also hints of his romance with another boy who shared an angel-like entity in him like Daisuke does, but that part was just set in motion for fun. :laugh: Apparently those boys are only “very much alike”, although I think it would have been a more interesting and entertaining turn of events, lol.  But seriously, between the twin girls – who are the sweet, innocent type and the tsundere, get-your-hands-off-me type – falling for either side of Daisuke (the true him or Dark Mousy) at the absolute worst times, there is just a spot-on high school feeling to it…a feeling I often try to escape when watching anime or anything else.  :yucky:

The moments of the series I absolutely loved were the action-filled moments between stealing scared artwork and trying to get out of a universe in someone’s mind. The magic. The fight scenes. The story of the depth in artwork and how the two angelic spirits are really one united being. That is the best part of DN Angel. Unfortunately, that part of the story in only in the last…what?  7 episodes, maybe? This anime is really one of the ones that don’t get good until much farther into the series, but I’m glad to say that I think it’s well worth the wait! In my opinion, the series would have been much more enjoyable if it focused more on Dark and Krad’s history and relationship and less on Daisuke’s journey in finding his one and only “sacred maiden”. But then again … it never was my kind of thing…

And another point, I find a lot of people complain about the filler. :/  Not just for this story though, but for a lot of shows I watch in general. I’d like to take the time to say that it seems to me that filler in a story is some of the most enjoyable parts, like here in the earlier portion of the series. For example, there is one episode completely dedicated to Daisuke’s pet rabbit (that also doubles as Dark’s black wings). A lot of people find that episode completely pointless, but come on! An adorable rabbit that fell in love? Even I can’t resist the cuteness of it! I can put the main plot aside for an episode or two to have a little fun – my typical attitude towards filler.    

I can’t wrap my mind around the ending, though.
(click to show/hide)

To recap, DN Angel is a pretty cool show. Lots of action, a deep plot concerning artwork and the angelic spirits … if only they scraped off some of the romance, then it would be my kind of show. :P

My Rating:    
Out of Five
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 12:57:58 AM by addicted2comics(:P) »

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2012, 01:43:23 AM »

Level E

Plot: In the present day, hundreds of extraterrestrial species walk the Earth. Some are pacifistic, others violent. Some are here for research purposes, others are career criminals. However, humans don't know they are here. Now, one more alien has arrived on Earth. One of the universe's foremost geniuses with a personality that's bound to attract all sorts of trouble.

Trailer (as not a single decent opening could be found):

My Thoughts: Yup. Another series I watched just because of Vic Mignogna. What can I say? I love the man's work. I saw the trailer a few months (I think) before the Blu-Ray was even supposed to come out, so I've been waiting for it for a long time. Actually, that's not true. I didn't wait. Vic tweeted that Funimation put up two dubbed episodes to watch for free, and I just saw the rest of the series subbed after seeing them.  :bag: The Blu-Ray still doesn't even come out for a couple weeks. I succumbed to temptation...

This anime is just so ... unique! I love it! The main character, the alien Prince, is a total troll. Really. As soon as the series starts to have a nice serious plot going for it, the prince does something silly and screws everything up. He trolls his bodyguards, his "friends", and even the viewers. Of course, that also means that the series in and of itself is lacking in a strong storyline, but ... I really just like to view it as a comedy. If you're looking for something with great story, like Death Note or Kuroshitsuji, then you're going to have to look elsewhere. When I say I like this show, I mean that coming from pure enjoyment of the series and laughing at the Prince's antics.

When it comes to his personality, it's not all laughs either. Everyone can clearly tell that the Prince has a devious brain and could easily be the greatest King his planet has ever known.

He just chooses to use that brain to mess with people. Which is why Level E is so fun.  ;)

My greatest complaint is that the guy that he roomed with was seen in the beginning episodes and the ending episodes. None in between. Now, the entire series only lasted 13 episodes so it's not like there's that many he's not there on, but it's still less than half of the show. I think it would have been great to make up a circumstance where Prince Baka (yes, that's his name...so that's "Idiot Prince") had to live with that human. I would have liked to see if they would grow on each other any, or what them truly living with each other would have been like for an extended period of time. But no, the plot just had to move on...

To the Color Rangers. Which is pretty much a parody of "Power Rangers" that the Prince set into motion using elementary school kids and alien toys that he modified to be power suits. These characters make up about 90% of the filler in Level E. I admit, it's still pretty funny. It's a little embarrassing to watch, considering that I never even liked Power Rangers and I felt like a small portion of my childhood was kneed in the groin...but I got over it! It actually gets pretty fun to watch those kids. A funny little superhero subplot for when the writers wanted to take our attention away from the Prince.

The ending of the series left me in both laughter and awe.
(click to show/hide)

There are a lot of serious parts of the series, trying to claw their way to the surface. There's tons of genius stupidity, just laying back and being a troll. One thing I know for certain: if I don't get the Blu-Ray pack for Christmas, I'm buying it myself!  :laugh: I really enjoyed it and any number of episodes is great for an evening's laugh. 

My Rating:    
Out of Five