Author Topic: Frozen Planet  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Frozen Planet
« on: November 16, 2012, 01:12:40 PM »
FROZEN PLANET

Overview:
From the Emmy-winning team behind Planet Earth and The Blue Planet, this is the original 7-part BBC series, Frozen Planet, narrated by world-renowned naturalist David Attenborough.

The Arctic and Antarctic remain the greatest wilderness on Earth. The scale and beauty of the scenery and the sheer power of the elements are unmatched anywhere else on our planet. Using the latest camera technology, Frozen Planet captures unimaginable imagery above and below the ice, including previously unfilmed animal behavior, and follows the extraordinary fluctuations that accompany the changes of seasons. Frozen Planet pains a portrait that will take your breath away, at a moment when these otherworldly regions of our planet may soon be changed forever.

Episodes:
To the Ends of the Earth
Spring
Summer
Autumn
Winter
The Last Frontier
On Thin Ice

My Thoughts:
Wow!  What an awesome series.  BBC certainly comes through again with its natural history documentaries.  Fabulous cinematography, the great David Attenborough narrating, and packed with lots of info about the animals living in the Arctic and Antarctic.  I suppose my only quibble, and it's a small one, is that if one considers this an update of the BBC's earlier Life in the Freezer, there was a segment in that program on lichen, and there is nothing similar here dealing with anything small and apparently boring.  However there is a lot more spectacular cinematography and lots of charismatic animals. 

Nobody does these kinds of docs like the BBC, so if you like them, I highly recommend this one.

Bechdel Test:  Not Applicable

Overall:  4.5/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

samuelrichardscott

Re: Frozen Planet
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
One of the BBC's recent series was really interesting. It's called Earth Flight and they put cameras on birds so you see what they see.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Earthflight-DVD-David-Tennant/dp/B004U5M61C/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1353076280&sr=1-1