Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises - No Spoilers  (Read 9129 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
The Dark Knight Rises - No Spoilers
« on: July 22, 2012, 07:07:10 AM »
The Dark Knight Rises

I've been wanting to see another Nolan Batman movie since the credits started on The Dark Knight the first time I saw that one.  I was very happy when I read that Nolan decided to make a third movie even though he also said it would be the last one.  

I'm going to be very careful not to share any spoilers here.

Nolan has done what has seemed impossible for a long time.  He made a third movie about a superhero that didn't turn into a mess in some way.  Yes I have still managed to enjoy most of them overall - like Spider-Man 3 and X-Men: The Last Stand - they had major story problems with cramming too many storylines and characters in.  That does not happen with this movie.  It is every bit as good as the previous movies, and better in some ways.  I saw it Friday morning - start time of 11:40 am - and I'm still in awe of how good..and well freaking awesome this movie is.  For me, the movie more than lived up to the hype and I wasn't disappointed with it at all.  

The story is handled very well.  There is a new deadly threat to Gotham, but Bruce also have a few ....I'll call them lingering issues to figure out as well.  The story is complicated without being so complicated that it is hard to figure out what is going on.  The different story elements work together wonderfully without any of them feeling like they were short changed.  There is a proper resolution and I think it works really well.  I know some people don't care for one aspect of the ending, but I don't feel the same way.  The ending is great, not just for this movie, but for the trilogy.  I have seen that some people are debating the ending already.

Bane is a great villain...not as complex as Joker, but that's ok.  I like that Bane isn't that much like Joker - other than wanting to cause destruction in Gotham that is.  This is not the mindless thug being controlled by Poison Ivy from Batman & Robin.  This guy is fully intimidating and a worthy opponent for Batman.  The fight between the two of them is handled very well.  From what I have read over the years, this version of Bane is more like he was in the comic books.  

I really like Selina.  She has ...questionable motives more often than not, but she isn't all bad.  I like Anne Hathaway in the part too.

The visuals are wonderful again.  At one point a somewhat different bat signal is seen.  The way it is shown, and the build up of the score make that a very powerful moment.  And it was cool.  :)  There is a new vehicle that is just as awesome as the car and bike.  The action scenes are wonderful, and yes, there are things that are just freaking cool - like the flipping truck from TDK or the hallway fight from Inception.  The movie is still dark..which makes sense given the tone of the first two, but hope also plays a part in the movie.  There are emotional moments as well...the strongest in a few scenes with Alfred.  

There are a few things that happened or were shared that I didn't see coming.  I'm still wondering why I didn't suspect something with regards to one of them.  Well...I briefly thought of something and then quickly dismissed it. 

I absolutely loved this movie.  I'll definitely get it on Blu and I will probably see it in the theater again.  I also feel like having a Nolan movie marathon..and possibly a Batman movie marathon, ending with the first 2 Nolan Batman movies.

I did get a review posted at Epinions.  It did take me longer because I just couldn't stop thinking about a few things.  

The Dark Knight Rises
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:11:49 AM by Dragonfire »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight Rises - No Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 05:31:49 PM »
Well done on keeping the review spoiler free :thumbup:

Just came back from watching it myself. Two Three minor and one less minor quibble:
  • Unless there were projection issues in my IMAX it seems he used an actual IMAX camera again in several scenes. However, if I am right, I could not figure out th motivation for th use of the larger framing and worse it seemed rather random.
  • typical timer problem.
    (click to show/hide)
  • EDIT: :hmmmm: I wonder if Catwoman will run away as she said or turn around... Oh, what a surprise...  :slaphead:
  • Considering it is supposed to be a Batman movie, there could have been more of the caped crusader for my taste.

But I totally agree otherwise. Great, great movie, more of the level of a police drama than an action movie though. The scene with Alfred is incredibly awesome and shows just how brilliant Michael Caine is; note ow emotional it is despite the lack of music!

Acting is very good across the board, from Gary Oldman over Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Michael Caine. Many bit parts were cast with fairly famous actors as well (who was that cop on the bridge...?). Tom Hardy did really well despite half his face covered by his mask (and he was much better understandable than the trailer made us think).

And then of course the ending, rounding off this trilogy very well.

I prefer The Dark Knight over this one, but this is still high class cinema and a must-see.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 05:40:23 PM by Achim »

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 08:16:19 PM »
Apparently there is talk of DC rebooting Batman and there is this link that someone sent me.
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 08:54:29 PM »
Apparently there is talk of DC rebooting Batman and there is this link that someone sent me.
Or today's strip.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 05:07:32 AM »
Well done on keeping the review spoiler free :thumbup:

Thank you.  I was very careful about that.

Just came back from watching it myself. Two Three minor and one less minor quibble:
  • Unless there were projection issues in my IMAX it seems he used an actual IMAX camera again in several scenes. However, if I am right, I could not figure out th motivation for th use of the larger framing and worse it seemed rather random.
  • typical timer problem.
    (click to show/hide)
  • EDIT: :hmmmm: I wonder if Catwoman will run away as she said or turn around... Oh, what a surprise...  :slaphead:
  • Considering it is supposed to be a Batman movie, there could have been more of the caped crusader for my taste.

I remember reading about the last one that he used IMAX cameras at times for some scenes.  Guess he did again.  I didn't really notice a difference, but I didn't see an IMAX version.
Yes there could have been more actual Batman, but given the story and what was going on, it makes sense it works out this way.

But I totally agree otherwise. Great, great movie, more of the level of a police drama than an action movie though. The scene with Alfred is incredibly awesome and shows just how brilliant Michael Caine is; note ow emotional it is despite the lack of music!

It is great.  The police stuff works well, including the conflict between John and the one guy..crap..can't remember his name. 
(click to show/hide)

Do you mean the last scene with Alfred?  That one was incredibly emotional - it had me start to tear up.  His earlier scenes are good too..with how he is confronting Bruce about him not moving on..and that one conversation that goes back to events in the last movie.  Man that was rough. 

Acting is very good across the board, from Gary Oldman over Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Michael Caine. Many bit parts were cast with fairly famous actors as well (who was that cop on the bridge...?). Tom Hardy did really well despite half his face covered by his mask (and he was much better understandable than the trailer made us think).

Yes it is.  It has been for all the movies.  The casting has been great all along.  I can't think of who the cop on the bridge was. 

And then of course the ending, rounding off this trilogy very well.

I loved the ending.  I didn't expect how everything worked out, but I think it worked so well.  I'm very happy.

I prefer The Dark Knight over this one, but this is still high class cinema and a must-see.

I don't know which one I prefer honestly.  There are parts of each that I think are better - No one is out doing Ledger's Joker.  It just isn't going to happen.  I do feel like all the story elements got enough attention this time..in the last movie I thought things with Harvey were a little rushed.  At the time, I had thought it would have been better to just show Harvey getting injured..starting down the road to Two-Face, with the full...transformation so to speak in another movie.  Well....  I shouldn't have doubted Nolan.  The man knows what he is doing.

(click to show/hide)

Do not click on the spoiler until after seeing the movie.  You've been warned.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 06:19:57 AM »
Or today's strip.
Well, one of the strips says Bane's mask is not explained. I'd have to disagree, I thought that was sufficiently covered (not in all glorious detail, but that isn't needed).

Do you mean the last scene with Alfred?  That one was incredibly emotional - it had me start to tear up.  His earlier scenes are good too..with how he is confronting Bruce about him not moving on..and that one conversation that goes back to events in the last movie.  Man that was rough.
(click to show/hide)

I don't know which one I prefer honestly.
I was mainly going by the fact that the previous one had more high octane action... I guess in overall he was simply taking a slightly different approach, rather than just repeating what he had done before. All three parts have stylistic differences...

(click to show/hide)
I agree that it was unliekely to have been a dream; I guess those people refer to the part with Alfred in the coffee shop. I thought it was interesting that we see Bruce's face full on, in most films it would only be hinted at or seen from the side maybe. But I guess he was clearly presenting himself to Alfred.[/spoiler]

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 07:37:14 AM »

Well, one of the strips says Bane's mask is not explained. I'd have to disagree, I thought that was sufficiently covered (not in all glorious detail, but that isn't needed).

I disagree about the mask too.  There is enough of an explanation for it.

[quote ]
(click to show/hide)
[/spoiler]

(click to show/hide)

I was mainly going by the fact that the previous one had more high octane action... I guess in overall he was simply taking a slightly different approach, rather than just repeating what he had done before. All three parts have stylistic differences...

Yes they do..and I think that is part of what makes them all so good.  They are all wonderful movies in their own rights..but put them together and they make a hell of a good trilogy.  One of the best ever...I'd say right up there with Lord of the Rings.  Yes I just went there.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
[/quote]

(click to show/hide)

Oh, I forgot to mention something last night...
(click to show/hide)

I just watched Batman Begins again...first time I've seen it in several years and I had forgotten some things.  I also picked up on a few little things that come back around in this movie.

(click to show/hide)

I think that's it for now.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 01:09:25 PM »
Yes they do..and I think that is part of what makes them all so good.  They are all wonderful movies in their own rights..but put them together and they make a hell of a good trilogy.  One of the best ever...I'd say right up there with Lord of the Rings.  Yes I just went there.
I am right there with you! LOTR or Toy Story...

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:11:43 PM by Achim »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 11:02:20 PM »

I am right there with you! LOTR or Toy Story...

Yes...Toy Story..I knew there was another awesome trilogy I couldn't think of last night - the extreme heat has melted some brain cells I think.  lol 
But yes, Toy Story is right up there with LOTR..and now The Dark Knight Trilogy.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Oh..I remembered one of the other little details I was going to mention last night.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 03:25:55 AM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

So many little things go back to the first movie...bringing things full circle.[/spoiler]
I think I need to see the first one again soon...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 04:20:31 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

So many little things go back to the first movie...bringing things full circle.
I think I need to see the first one again soon...

Yup...you should.  I picked up on several things when I watched it again last night.  I'm thinking there will be some little things in the second one too...which I still need to watch again.  And go see this one again.  lol

Something else...we see that Bruce gets injured in the first movie..Alfred even comments on it at one point.  Then in the new movie, we see the more long term results of the injuries. 

northbloke

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 09:20:25 PM »
I got to see this at the weekend, and thought it was an excellent film. Not as good as The Dark Knight, but still excellent.
However I've got a couple of niggles about the ending and wanted to share them in case I missed something:

(click to show/hide)

What do you guys think? These are very minor niggles and I did love the film.

(click to show/hide)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 09:52:04 PM »
Can't wait to have it watched by tomorrow night and discussing with you. :)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 10:13:03 PM »
Can't wait to have it watched by tomorrow night and discussing with you. :)

Me as well. I am curious about the content of all the spoiler tags in this thread  ;)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 01:01:21 AM »
I got to see this at the weekend, and thought it was an excellent film. Not as good as The Dark Knight, but still excellent.
However I've got a couple of niggles about the ending and wanted to share them in case I missed something:

(click to show/hide)

What do you guys think? These are very minor niggles and I did love the film.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I thought of something else last night, but forgot to come back and add it to the post.

(click to show/hide)

Ok..I think I'm done again...for now. :)

(click to show/hide)