Author Topic: MyMovies, anyone using it?  (Read 9591 times)

northbloke

Re: MyMovies, anyone using it?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 12:20:05 AM »
Does MyMovies have a good XML export? If yes, would someone, who uses MyMovies, be willing to me their export file?
A MyMovies import would be a nice feature for my Cinematic Collection Viewer and it would be something new for me to get my teeth into.
I don't know if you could call it a good XML export as it has no options, it simply exports your entire collection, but it has one. My collection has come out at 43.3mb. If that's too big for you I'll create a fake collection and add maybe 10 random titles to it.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 12:34:31 AM »
Usually an XML has a good compression ratio when zipping it (or even better if using other zip tools like 7zip).
If it is still too big, I would also take a fake collection. Although usually "live" data is better testing material.

northbloke

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 01:05:16 AM »
Wow - 3.96mb in a zip file. That's one hell of a compression ratio!
PM me your email address and I'll send it over to you.

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 01:05:49 AM »
Do they still have this cheap "windows 95'ish" interface or has Brian finally decided to bring the UI up to today's stanndards ?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 01:13:09 AM »
Thanks for the file!

Wow - 3.96mb in a zip file. That's one hell of a compression ratio!
With 7zip it even goes down to 2.31mb :)

It looks like the XML is usable. I can even generate a DVD Profiler like ID.
I have read that MyMovies is supporting TV series data on episode level. Are you using these in your database? I didn't see any such data.

I have seen that MyMovies also supports read-only access to the database. With a little effort I could connect to the database (already done) and map the data to my runtime objects.
I.e. I could offer a read-only view on the MyMovies database inside CCViewer and offer export to DVD Profiler format directly. It even would be possible to create a DVD Profiler XML directly without opening CCViewer at all with the help of the included scripting capability.
Would there be interest that I look further into it? I would need to register MyMovies and populate my database for testing purposes.

northbloke

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 11:32:29 PM »
Sorry, I've been away for a few days.
Yes, MyMovies can hold TV series info down to an episode level. I've attached a screen grab of what it looks like in the program. It'll also give Eric an idea of what the interface currently looks like (on an XP machine).
I'm afraid I've no idea if the TV series info was exported in the xml - there was certainly no option to include or exclude it. All I can tell you is that either disc title info or file info is required to attach the tv series info to it.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 11:53:22 PM »
It seems that the episode info isn't the only info not included in the XML. Looking at the database structure, MyMovies has a lot more information not present in the XML export.
I have already finished implementing a MyMovies XML import in my CCViewer. If I am bored at some point, I may start tapping into the local MyMovies database directly. This could be used as either importing data this way into CCViewer (probably more effort), or just as an alternate front-end to view the MyMovies database.

Here you can see some screenshots from the current CCViewer. Would there be interest to have this as a front-end for the MyMovies database?