Author Topic: MyMovies, anyone using it?  (Read 9590 times)

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
MyMovies, anyone using it?
« on: July 05, 2012, 05:28:13 AM »
I couldn't sleep last night and so was going through different parts of the forum and found a post about MyMusic Collection system.

I am wondering if anyone here IS using it and what their thoughts are on it.  I am using dvdProfiler but i think i have worn out my welcome on the forum from asking too many questions about why this or that and have have been told frankly to just use it as it is.  So I should probably move on.

So again, anyone using MyMovies?

Thanks
DSig
Thank you
David

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: MyMovies, anyone using it?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 06:24:53 AM »
I am wondering if anyone here IS using it and what their thoughts are on it.  I am using dvdProfiler but i think i have worn out my welcome on the forum from asking too many questions about why this or that and have have been told frankly to just use it as it is.  So I should probably move on.
Well, some of us have been over there for years (I have been using it since version 0.9!) and simply speaking, at least ever since changed from InterVocative to Invelos Ken has not only slowed down release cycles but also reduced his presence in teh forum greatly. While there has been a lot of whining about that, it has never changed so one either accepts it or has to move on. The comment you received by a fellow user was without bad intent. I for one have moved as far as the forum is concerned but still use the software.

So again, anyone using MyMovies?
As I said above, I still use DVD Profiler. I have tried MyMovies and the main part that is important to me just didn't work sufficiently (yet), which is the Wacthed Events system and also I am not ready to quit on phpDVDProfiler just yet (online listing using PHP which also creates the signature in my posts). I think the TV series setup also was not to my liking at the time. Generally I found MyMovies to be a competent competitor to DVD Profiler which also has a few advantages of its own (IIRC the cast lists are per movie, not per DVD release). Both databases are user-built, with all problems that comes with that.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 12:44:36 PM »
I tried it.... was a contributor there for a while... decided I just didn't like it. Not even close to how much I like profiler.

I don't believe you worn out your welcome at Invelos. You just do (IMHO) come off a little strong with what seems like non-stop questions on what seems like every question that pops in your head. I for one don't mind at all... I just answer what I can... and if I can't I just move on. But I do understand that for some people that may feel a bit heavy-handed.
Pete

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 04:24:33 PM »
Yep .. i get it

Thanks
Dsig
Thank you
David

EdwinK

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 09:13:02 PM »
Using a trial version of Mymovies, but it is not the same for me. Also using a paid version of Moviecollectorz,  but that too misses out on DVDP.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 03:18:09 AM »
Yeah, I have tried and tried a couple different versions of MyMovies and using <gag>Microsoft Media Center<gag> and find that the first problem is that I couldn't get it to read in the dvdp xml export.  Tried working with the developers and other users on mymovies but after sending in the file as requested no one replied.

Now Tom ( i think it was tom ) on dvdp found the issue and that it was a bad character in the export data.  One of the profiles I had gotten had it in it.  I deleted out that character and tried again.  Finally got all the conversion done but it couldn't download from their system to mine but in small chunks.  The biggest problem with the download was the speed.  The "conversion" was actually done on their servers not locally.  They also throttle you way back until you build points or pay them.  And to pay them the amount to unthrottle would have bee $100.  Don't mind paying for sw .. bought dvdp .. but trying to test sw to see if it will work ..

I guess I learned that developer support for this type of sw is very lacking.  Of course there aren't that many choices out there for this so where is a user going to go?

So just have to learn not to ask questions or question anything.  Just use dvdP as it is and just wait

Thank you
David
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:20:28 AM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 01:00:50 AM »
I used MyMovies a lot, contributed a lot.  I also posted a lot about it here, you can easily find my posts with a search.

I stopped using it however because it got to a point where it interefered with my PC by taking control of paid programs that do NOT come from them.  I deemed it unacceptable and stopped using it, regardles of the investment I had made for the license.

That aside, what MyMovies really is about is movie watching with the Windows Media Center plugin.  The user interface for collection maintenance simply sucks.

northbloke

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 10:52:35 PM »
I started using My Movies a while back mainly because of the Android app for my phone, so I can check my collection while shopping.
To be honest all I'm after is a database of my collection, I don't need any of the extras - like using media centre or monitoring what and when I've watched things, so I've had no major problems with using it. I've also noticed that the software is updated a hell of a lot more often than Profiler ever was!
I also got sick and tired waiting for Profiler to catch up. Everyone is right when they say it's the best in terms of data storage and information, but in other respects it's sorely lagging behind other programs, especially in the mobile formats which seem to becoming more and more prevelant in the modern market.
My advice would be to try it, it has an import option so you should be able to test it with your existing collection relatively easily.
The program options unlock based on points that can be bought or earned. What I did when I decided to make the change was buy a certain number of points then made up the rest with contributions until I earned enough to fully unlock the program, it didn't take that long.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 08:57:18 PM »
What is the status about their watched event tracking? That was the one feature sorely lacking in the past and what stopped me to move over.

northbloke

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 10:30:20 PM »
Still only a tick-box: watched or not. There are "notes" and "tags" sections, but as I've never used them I don't know if they could be used to store the info in a way that would be useful to you.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 10:52:48 PM »
Does MyMovies have a good XML export? If yes, would someone, who uses MyMovies, be willing to me their export file?
A MyMovies import would be a nice feature for my Cinematic Collection Viewer and it would be something new for me to get my teeth into.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 11:25:53 PM »
I like to be ale to track watched events for more than one person. Not used very often, but using the watched events with filters or the Movie Pick feature is nice.

At one point I e-mailed with the programs owner about it and he mentioned that it's on their to-do list, but that was a while back...

Does MyMovies have a good XML export? If yes, would someone, who uses MyMovies, be willing to me their export file?
:slaphead: That reminds me that phpDVDProfiler is actually a second reason why I haven't moved on yet...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 11:32:03 PM »
:slaphead: That reminds me that phpDVDProfiler is actually a second reason why I haven't moved on yet...

The Viewer also has a DVD Profiler XML export (both the 2.x and the 3.x format), so if I would implement a MyMovies import, it would be possible to transfer the data from MyMovies via the Viewer to phpDVDProfiler.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 11:53:08 PM »
The Viewer also has a DVD Profiler XML export (both the 2.x and the 3.x format), so if I would implement a MyMovies import, it would be possible to transfer the data from MyMovies via the Viewer to phpDVDProfiler.
:hmmmm: That sounds interesting. Of course, MyMovies is still lacking proper watched tracking, but I'll keep it in mind.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 12:04:48 AM »
:hmmmm: That sounds interesting. Of course, MyMovies is still lacking proper watched tracking, but I'll keep it in mind.
The Viewer has proper watched tracking ;)
Even on episode level for TV series. So a combined use of MyMovies/CCViewer/phpDVDProfiler would also be viable alternative.