Author Topic: Brave  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Brave
« on: June 23, 2012, 07:31:45 AM »
Brave

I've been wanting to see this one for a long time..but that is normal for me with Pixar movies.  This is another wonderful movie that definitely deserves to be seen.

Merida is a princess who is good with a bow and arrow.  This is a typical princess movie and it is more than an archery movie.

Merida doesn't want to do what is expected of her and she sets out to change things.

There is a really cute, entertaining scene after the credits that I thought was worth waiting to see.  The short before the movie, La Luna, is a bit simple and very beautiful.

The plot is interesting and entertaining.  It isn't complex, though it deals with a few different issues, and even adds in a bit of magic.  The trailers mostly showed things from the very beginning of the movie, and really only hint at what is going on.  The movies goes off in direction that I didn't expect.  I think it is best for people to go into seeing the movie without knowing about that.  A few things that happen are a little predictable, but other things are more surprising.  I thought one thing might happen that ultimately didn't.  I think the story works, though I have already seen that some people feel the story is too weak.  I don't think so.  Some things are brought up and then they seem to be dropped, but I think those things served their purpose.  There is some emotion to the story, though it doesn't have the same level of emotion as Up or Toy Story 3 - but then very few movies do reach those levels.  I think some people are going to get hit by the emotional stuff more than others with this one. 

The animation is of course gorgeous.  There are some beautiful settings used in the movie.  An impressive sequence features a beautiful river.  A bear is involved, and the wet fur is very realistic looking, along with how the fur sort of glows in the sunlight when it is dry.  The music sounds Scottish and fits in perfectly with the movie.  Of the characters, Merida is the most developed since she receives the most attention.  I think she is a good character.  She does have some flaws, but I think that makes her more realistic.  The Queen Elinor, Merida's mother, is decently developed as well.  The voices are all really well done.

This is another wonderful movie from Pixar that I think definitely deserves to be seen.

I did get a longer review posted at Epinions.

Brave

MEJHarrison

Re: Brave
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 10:15:24 PM »
It was a fun movie.  Looked good.  But for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, it just didn't feel like Pixar to me.  It was almost.  But I thought it was missing that little something extra that usually makes Pixar stand apart from the crowd.  I'll have to reevaluate when the BD comes out.

And in keeping with the spirit of the movie, here's a couple pictures of me in a great kilt from last summer. ;D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 03:24:00 AM »
Nice kilt. :)

MEJHarrison

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 06:52:44 PM »
Thanks Marie! ;D