Author Topic: Rock of Ages  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Rock of Ages
« on: June 16, 2012, 06:57:17 AM »
Rock of Ages

I'm going to start by saying that this is not a movie for everyone. Some will hate it - I have a feeling Pet would run clear to Canada to avoid it ;) - but I do think it is a fun, entertaining movie for people who like musicals and 80s rock. 

The plot is fairly simple, telling the story of a small town girl going to Los Angeles with dreams of stardom.  She meets a boy with the same dreams, they fall in love, then things get screwed up and she has to put her life back together. 
A slightly older rock star, so drunk that he doesn't have a clue about anything is performing one last concert with the bad that made him famous at the first club they performed in.  A group of religious fanatics targets the club and the singer, protesting and trying to shut things down.  Several things about the plot are predictable, but the movie is still really fun.  There are a few complications that pop up here and there, but it is fairly clear that things will be fixed.  There are touches of romance and some humor at times.

The music, which is all 80s rock, receives the most attention, with all the characters singing at least a little bit.  I still like 80s rock, and this movie, that is based on the Broadway musical, uses great songs.  I recognized all of them, though it did take me a little longer with a few of them.  I think the songs work well to help move the story forward and don't seem silly even though people break out into song all over the place.  There is a need to suspend disbelief when it comes to that.  The cast all sings well and I admit I was surprised by how well some of them sound.  Maybe some of that is something done in the studio, but however it is achieved, the singing sounds good.  Julianne Hough's voice is nice, but there is something about that..I'm still not sure exactly what is it.  In some songs, her voice doesn't sound strong enough for the song.  Alec Baldwin does really good with his singing and even takes part in a ..ummm...unexpected version of Can't Fight This Feeling.

I really don't consider myself a Tom Cruise fan, but I'll see his movies if I think they look interesting.  I didn't think too much about his casting in the movie, though I did wonder at times about him being cast as Stacee Jaxx, the rock star.  He is really good in the movie.  He becomes the character, stumbling around in a drunken haze, unable to keep a shirt buttoned, but still able to rock it out on stage in a really good version of Pour Some Sugar on Me.  He is completely believable in the part and he can sing.  At least he can sing 80s rock. 

Rock of Ages is a bit predictable, but it is a fun, entertaining movie that I think is worth checking out for people who like this type of movie or who like 80s rock.  I plan to get the movie when it is out and I want the soundtrack.  This movie isn't for everyone though.

I did get a longer review posted at Epinions.

Rock of Ages 

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Rock of Ages
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 08:04:51 AM »
Almost felt it had potential, but after I saw the trailer filled with cock rock music all my hopes were gone... Just the stereotype of what was the eighties for people who weren't there.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Rock of Ages
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 08:14:39 AM »
There are some stereotypes in it..but I still thought it was entertaining.