Author Topic: Prometheus  (Read 4342 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Prometheus
« on: June 11, 2012, 12:13:46 PM »
Prometheus

Once I started to see trailers for Prometheus, I became interested in seeing the movie.  I heard that it was a prequel to Alien, and then that it wasn't really a prequel, but it takes place in the same universe.  I finally watched Alien for the first time the night before I saw this one.  I saw definite connections between the movies.

Two scientists, Elizabeth and Charlie, discover a cave painting.  Four years later, they are part of the crew of a space ship traveling to a distant planet where they hope to find answers about the creation of man.  When they reach their destination, a team goes out to explore a structure.  What they discover raises more questions and puts them in incredible danger.

I saw the movie in 3D because of the start times.  It was fine, but I don't think it was really necessary.

The Weyland Corporation is funding the trip, and there could be ulterior motives.  The ship, the Prometheus, looks more advanced than the ship in Alien in some ways, like in the bridge.  Other areas of the ship, like the dining area and air lock, look similar to the other ship.  Things in the structure resemble things from the first movie.  It seem clear to me that a few things are the same, creating a connection between the movies.  Things get resolved by the end of the movie while also leaving a few things open for the possibility of another movie.  There is violence in some scenes, and some disturbing things as well.  The movie wasn't as violent as I had thought it would be before seeing it though.  There is some tension to certain scenes and horror elements without it being a full on horror movie.  I think it works well and is a very good, entertaining movie, though some people may not think there are enough connections to Alien.  The effects are very well done, and give the movie an amazing look.

The characters are interesting, though some aren't developed that much.  Meredith is a representative of Weyland, along to make sure things go according to plan.  She is a bit cold and detached, and she tends to sort of lurk around.  Charlize Theron is good in the part.  Elizabeth is a strong, determined woman.  In some ways, she does remind me of Ripley, though the two aren't the same character.  There are some definite differences.  I think Elizabeth makes a good main character. 

This is a very well done movie that is very entertaining. I'm glad I decided to see it, and that I watched Alien before it.  The movie is definitely worth seeing.

I did post a longer review at Epinions.

Prometheus

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Prometheus
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:45:43 PM »
Great .. looking forward to it today ..

DSig
Thank you
David

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:22:26 PM »
Hope you like it.  It really is a great movie.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 04:54:28 PM »
I saw it today and liked it very much. I made a strong effort to keep expectations in check, which we apparently successfully. Michael Fassbender is very good in his role, bringing across the character just right. Having Patrick Wilson in the same movie is not a good idea :laugh:, it took me a moment to realize it's not Fassbender :slaphead: Guy Pearce is pretty much unrecognizable; rumor has it there are scenes with him at a younger age that were cut (why else wouldn't they hire an actual old man). I had watched Alien on Sunday to t in the mood, so the slow build up merely matched that film and was not annoying. Once the s#*% hits the fan things move really fast. I thought the whole philosophy of the movie was quite interesing and the ending fit that very well.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 04:19:02 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 04:32:23 AM »
Marie I have some questions :whistle:

I'm interested in buying it when it will be release in a couple of months (I can't stand movie theatre), but I want to know if :

. the movie is filled with bad looking CGI,
. I risk a CGI overdose (as it was the case with The Matrix),
. I will get an headache because of the way too fast editing,
. the movie use good actors or TV stars of the week filler,
. they use hip-hop for the music score,
. if the movie make senses or doesn't like the TCM remake prequel.

thanks!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:34:01 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 05:29:57 AM »
Marie I have some questions :whistle:

I'm interested in buying it when it will be release in a couple of months (I can't stand movie theatre), but I want to know if :

. the movie is filled with bad looking CGI,
. I risk a CGI overdose (as it was the case with The Matrix),
. I will get an headache because of the way too fast editing,
. the movie use good actors or TV stars of the week filler,
. they use hip-hop for the music score,
. if the movie make senses or doesn't like the TCM remake prequel.

thanks!

The effects are very well done.  I read something about how Scott did as much as he could without CGI.  I don't think there is an overload of the CGI...none of that weird slow motion nonsense.  No jerky camera work.  I don't think the editing was too fast..no headache for me.

The cast is really good.  Guy Pearce, Charlize Theron, Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba...They all did good with there parts.  I didn't recognize some of the others, though that didn't bother me since they handled their parts well..and some of them weren't in as many scenes.

No trace of hip-hop music anywhere.  I don't remember anything with lyrics..just instrumental.  The score really compliments what is happening and doesn't distract from the movie.  It does remind me a bit of the score from Alien.

I think the movie makes sense.  Yes there are one or two things that I still haven't figured out - mostly the motivation of one character - but I think things make sense and are handled well.  This movie is telling a story that isn't directly connected to Alien..but there is still a connection there.  The things that do tie in to Alien make sense.  At least I think so.  Of course, I've only seen Alien once.

Hope this helps. :)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 05:52:41 AM »
Sure it did ;D

It is now a "must have" Blu-Ray purchase and not a "maybe if I find it cheap later on dvd" purchase because everything I dislike about modern movies aren't there according to what you told me :thumbup:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 06:04:52 AM »
I agree with the answers Marie gave to your questions. I will be very curious to find out how you like it.

I am considering seeing it again in 2D, the 3D glasses really annoyed me again yesterday (I wear glasses anyway,so the 3D thingys are almost on the tip of my nose :yucky:).

Thanks for the answers Marie. Maybe someone else will give more ideas to the character motivation later on. And sorry for accidentally spoiling part of Resurrection to you. But you may remember Jon's review of the film, so there is not really any loss there :devil:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 06:15:46 AM »
Already set my Amazon Canada alert to let me know when it will be available for pre-order on blu-ray ;D

I always find it weird that now we can get the film so fast after their theatre release considering how it was long to get them during most of the VHS ERA (except for the last years as the releases were as fast as they are now).

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 09:19:39 PM »
I saw it in 3D too...just because of the start times.  It was playing in normal digital only 2 times a day.  So sort of forced into the 3D.  Not that the 3D was bad...it just seemed not needed to me. 

That's ok..I'm in no hurry to see that one..I've read several reviews about how bad it is.  And I have a general idea of what happens from stuff I read. 

Maybe when I see the movie again I'll have more ideas on the motivation of the one character. 

I just had a thought...
(click to show/hide)

I hope you like it once you see it Jimmy.

I know what you mean about the speed of the releases too.  I remember it taking years for some movies to hit VHS.  I remember for a while too, a movie would come out to rent, but then it would be a few months later before it was available to buy.  As it is now, the movies are out a few months after they are in theaters. 

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 10:00:31 PM »
I remember for a while too, a movie would come out to rent, but then it would be a few months later before it was available to buy.
And they were costly :(
I remember that Henry : Portrait of a Serial Killer cost me 65$ when I got it on VHS and it isn't one of the most expensive I got... By exemple I Spit on Your Grave cost me almost 100$.

Being a collector was sure harder in those days. I sure laugh when I read someone complaining that 20$ is too expensive for a DVD :whistle:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 01:27:48 AM »
I think the most I paid for any VHS was $24.  I remember seeing some that were way higher though.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 06:19:38 AM »
I just had a thought...
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile