Author Topic: The Avengers (2012)  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
The Avengers (2012)
« on: June 11, 2012, 11:13:33 AM »
The Avengers (2012)

I'm just going to start off by saying this movie is awesome.  I've been wanting to see it since I first heard it was going to be made.  I did have fairly high expectations for it and I wasn't disappointed.

Basically, Loki has found his way to Earth and is bent on taking over.  He has a staff thing that allows him to take over people and control them like they were his puppets.  S.H.I.E.L.D. is trying to deal with the situation and they start pulling people in.  Nick Fury wants Tony Stark/Iron Man, Natasha Romanov/Black Widow, Bruce Banner, Hulk, Steve Rogers/Captain America and Thor to work together to deal with Loki.  The team has to find a way to get along in time to save the world. 

There is a bonus scene a few minutes into the credits that is setting up something, possibly for a second Avengers movie.  There is another bonus scene at the end of the credits that isn't exactly important, but I still enjoyed it.  It does tie back into something from the movie.

The movie does build on things that happened in the previous Marvel movies, especially Thor and Captain America.  The plot may not be the most original, with the heroes having to come together to save the world, but it is handled well and it ultimately works well.  I don't know if anything specific from the movie was pulled from the comic books or not.  There are several action scenes, including some when the various characters clash and fight with each other.  The action scenes are well done without any of the horrific shaky camera work, so people can tell who is beating the crap out of who.  The movie is longer, but the time never drags and it doesn't feel like it is almost 2 and half hours long.  The dialogue is really good, including the banter between the characters.  Tony gets some wonderful lines.  The dialogue is clearly the work of Joss Whedon.  In addition to directing, he also worked on the screenplay.  I know that some people thought that some of the humor was too silly, but I think it worked for the movie and helped to make it more entertaining.  All superhero movies don't have to be as dark and serious as Christopher Nolan's Batman movies.  That approach works for those movies, but it won't work for all superhero movies.  This one is just fun and really entertaining.

There is a good balance with the characters, allowing each to receive attention without overshadowing the others.  The cast is wonderful.  I love Robert Downey Jr as Tony.  Mark Ruffalo is fine as Bruce/Hulk, but I did miss Edward Norton in the part. 

This is a wonderfully entertaining movie that is definitely worth seeing.  I absolutely loved it and will definitely add it to my movie collection.

I did post a longer review on Epinions.

The Avengers (2012)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Avengers (2012)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 04:53:17 AM »
You've been busy with reviews... :thumbsup: Are you catching up on a few weeks where you couldn't write them...?

There is a bonus scene a few minutes into the credits that is setting up something, possibly for a second Avengers movie.  There is another bonus scene at the end of the credits that isn't exactly important, but I still enjoyed it.  It does tie back into something from the movie.
I left after that first scene because a) everybody was leaving b) I thought "good, the additional scene was earlier this I've". So, can you tell me what we see at the very end, so I won't have to wait for the Blu-ray?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 06:41:55 PM »
The second bonus scene is only in the US release, so you probably haven't missed anything, Achim. Probably a bonus for the US audiences because they had to wait longer for the release of the movie. Or maybe it was because it wasn't finished by the time the international release was done. They shot this scene long after principal photography. I think even after they premiered the movie for the first time.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 11:35:37 PM »
You've been busy with reviews... :thumbsup: Are you catching up on a few weeks where you couldn't write them...?

I left after that first scene because a) everybody was leaving b) I thought "good, the additional scene was earlier this I've". So, can you tell me what we see at the very end, so I won't have to wait for the Blu-ray?

Yes I was.  I'm caught up with the movies I've seen in the theater this year...maybe.  lol  I kept meaning to write about them, and then kept forgetting, especially when work was crazier.  Hopefully I will stay caught up now.  And get back to writing about stuff I've watched on DVD/Blu too. :)

I almost left after the first scene for the same reason...but I decided to wait.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 03:25:59 AM »
I think the end scene was hilarious. All but two people saw it because the rest left after the first scene.

I mean, seriously...
(click to show/hide)
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 04:09:27 AM »
I can't remember if anyone else stayed when I saw it or not...When the credits first started, only a handful of people got of them.  After the first scene, most of them got up.  A few waited a little while and then left..  If anyone stayed it was only 2 or 3 besides me.

I've stayed through all of them I've seen in the theater since this one..just in case.  None of the others have had anything extra at the end. 

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 06:30:01 AM »