Author Topic: My Blu-Ray Reviews  (Read 126293 times)

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: My Blu-Ray Reviews
« Reply #1035 on: May 07, 2017, 02:57:37 AM »

Title: The Autopsy of Jane Doe
Year: 2016
Director:
Rating: Rated R : Bloody Horror Violence, Unsettling Grisly Images, Graphic Nudity, and Language
Length: 87 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Brian Cox
Emile Hirsch
Ophelia Lovibond

Plot:
It's just another night at the morgue for a father (Brian Cox, Trick 'r Treat, Zodiac) and son (Emile Hirsch, Lone Survivor, Killer Joe) team of coroners, until an unidentified, highly unusual corpse arrives. Discovered buried in the basement of the home of a brutally murdered family, the young Jane Doe — eerily well-preserved and with no visible signs of trauma — is shrouded in mystery. As they work into the night to piece together the cause of her death, the two men begin to uncover the disturbing secrets of her life. Soon, a series of terrifying events make it clear: this Jane Doe may not be dead. The latest from Troll Hunter director Andre Ovredal is a scarily unpredictable, supernatural shocker that never lets up. This chiller also stars Ophelia Lovibond (Guardians Of The Galaxy) and Michael McEhatton (Game Of Thrones).

Extras:
Scene Access

My Review:
So, i almost never write reviews anymore, but some movies is just have to say a thing or two about. Good or bad. This movie i've heard some real great things about and really enjoyed the trailer, so when i found it for under $8 it was a no brainer. And i watched the movie last night. And the movie is actually brilliant. Really loved it, the story is real simple, but holy hell. Some awesome moments trough-out. A simple but real good with some amazing spots trough-out. Its a must watch for all horror fans!

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: July 17, 2017, 12:48:58 AM »

Title: Top Gun: Special Collector's Edition
Year: 1986
Director: Tony Scott (1944)
Rating: 15 år
Length: 110 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 6.1 (Discrete), French: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), German: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Italian: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish, Commentary

Stars:
Tom Cruise
Kelly McGillis
Val Kilmer
Anthony Edwards (1962)
Tom Skerritt
Michael Ironside

Plot:
Lieutenant Pete "Maverick" Mitchell is an expert United States Naval Aviator. When he encounters a pair of MiGs over the Persian Gulf, his wingman is clearly outflown and freaks. On almost no fuel, Maverick is able to talk him back down to the carrier. When his wingman turns in his wings, Maverick is moved up in the standings and sent to the Top Gun Naval Flying School. There he fights the attitudes of the other pilots and an old story of his father's death in combat that killed others due to his father's error. Maverick struggles to be the best pilot, stepping on the toes of his other students and in another way to Charlie Blackwood, a civilian instructor to whom he is strongly attracted.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Music Videos
Interviews
Storyboard Comparisons

My Review:
Woah, to be honest i havent watched this one in ages. Havent watched it in HD at all, and today i decide to check out the bluray, and the movie itself is ofcourse amazing. Great cast who works well together. Great moments trough-out ofc. The movie is a classic! Nothing to it. A classic. And i have to say the transfer is great aswell. The sound and picture is much better then the dvd. And this special discset bluray got alot more extras too. This set is just a must have.

My Rating:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:50:49 AM by Piffi »
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: July 28, 2017, 05:30:10 PM »

Title: Kong: Skull Island: 4K Ultra HD
Year: 2017
Director: Jordan Vogt-Roberts
Rating: Rated PG-13 : Intense Sequences of Sci-Fi Violence and Action, and for Brief Strong Language
Length: 118 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD: 7.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Tom Hiddleston
Samuel L. Jackson (1948)
Brie Larson
John C. Reilly
John Goodman (1952)
Corey Hawkins

Plot:
A team of scientists, soldiers and adventurers explore an uncharted island in the pacific, but their mission of discovery becomes the ultimate battle between man and nature when they ventue into the domain of the might Kong.

Extras:
Audio Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Digital Copy

My Review:
I've wanted to watch this ever since i saw the thrailer, and i've finally watched it. And the movie was actually real great! Lot of big names who worked great together. I've since i watched 'Room' i've enjoyed Brie Larson's work. She was great in 'Room' and she was good in this aswell. Great spots trough-out. And the sound and picture are also great in this one aswell. All in all, a great movie. Check it out!

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: August 26, 2017, 01:37:42 AM »

Title: The Fate of the Furious
Director: F. Gary Gray
Rating: Rated PG-13 : Prolonged Sequences of Violence and Destruction, Suggestive Content, and Language
Length: 136 Min.
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Vin Diesel
Jason Statham (1972)
Dwayne Johnson (1972)
Michelle Rodriguez
Tyrese Gibson
Chris 'Ludacris' Bridges

Plot:
Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson and Michelle Rodriguez lead an all-star cast as the global blockbuster franchise delivers its most action-packed, high octane adrenaline rush yet in The Fate of the Furious. Now that Dom (Diesel) and Letty (Rodriguez) are married and Brian and Mia have retired from the game—and the rest of the crew has been exonerated—the globetrotting team has found a semblance of a normal life. But when a mysterious woman (Oscar® winner† Charlize Theron) seduces Dom into the world of crime he can't seem to escape and a betrayal of those closest to him, they will face trials that will test them as never before. From the shores of Cuba and the streets of New York City to the icy plains off the arctic Barents Sea, our elite force will crisscross the globe to stop an anarchrist from unleashing chaos on the world's stage..and bring home the man who made them a family.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Digital Copy

My Review:
So, Fast & The Furious has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Always enjoyed the movies, the car chases, cool cars etc. But the latest movies has turned in to pure action movies with less and less car scenes. Still good movies, dont get me wrong. But not "a car" movie franchise anymore. Still some cool moments here and there. But for the last two movies (9/10) i hope they will go back to what they started with. Would be awesome. But all in all, its a movie you have to watch anyways. And i enjoyed it tho.

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: October 02, 2017, 01:30:37 AM »

Title: Get Out
Director: Jordan Peele
Rating: Rated 15 : Strong Violence, Gore, Sex References, Language
Length: 104 Min.
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, German: DTS: 5.1, Italian: DTS: 5.1
Subtitles: Arabic, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hindi, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Daniel Kaluuya
Allison Williams
Catherine Keener
Bradley Whitford
Caleb Landry Jones
Marcus Henderson

Plot:
When Chris (Daniel Kaluuya), a young African-American man, visits his white girlfriend's (Allison Williams) family estate, he becomes ensnared in the more sinister, real reason for the invitation. At first, Chris reads the family's overly accommodating behavior as nervous attempts to deal with their daughter's interracial relationship, but as the weekend progresses, a series of increasingly disturbing discoveries lead him to a truth that he could have never imagined. This speculative thriller from Blumhouse (producers of The Visit, Insidious series and The Gift) and the mind of Jordan Peele (Key & Peele) is equal parts gripping thriller and provocative commentary.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Digital Copy

My Review:
Woah, that was kinda intense and a bit different then i expected it to be.. I pre-ordered it a while back after watching the thrailer, and i found it interesting. The movie got a creepy mood trough-out the whole movie, right off the bat you know something is real wrong in a creepy good way. And then all the freaky stuff starts to happen, and the movie takes us trough some cool twists and turns i didnt see coming. For me this was a real great horror\thriller with a twisted but good story. All in all, this is a must watch! Was much better then i expected it to be! And this blurayset comes with some great extras aswell.

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: October 11, 2017, 04:32:54 AM »
I liked Get Out very much when I saw it in the theater earlier this year. I expected a rather different conclusion at the end, but not getting what I expected is obviously half the fun. It had some great social commentary wrapped inside the horror film, too, which I thought was done rather well and very much a current affair.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: October 11, 2017, 04:17:09 PM »
Yep, and this blurayset had some great extras, and including the extras was a alternate ending aswell.. I had to check it out ofc,  glad they went with the ending they did tho.. ;)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: November 30, 2017, 09:35:43 PM »

Title: Hancock: Unrated
Year: 2008
Director: Peter Berg (1964)
Rating: PG
Length: 102 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos: 3D, French: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1

Stars:
Will Smith (1968)
Charlize Theron
Jason Bateman
Jae Head
Eddie Marsan
David Mattey

Plot:
Academy Award® nominee Will Smith (Best Actor, The Pursuit of Happyness, 2006) stars in this action-packed comedy as Hancock, a sarcastic, hard-living and misunderstood superhero who has fallen out of favor with the public.

When Hancock grudgingly agrees to an extreme makeover from idealistic publicist Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman, Juno), his life and reputation rise from the ashes and all seems right again – until he meets a woman (2003 Academy Award® winner Charlize Theron, Best Actress, Monster) with similar powers to his and the key to his secret past.

Extras:
Scene Access
Featurettes
Theatrical and Unrated Versions, D-Box Motion Code

My Review:
So, i dont write much anymore, but some movies i have to say a thing or two about. This one i first at the movies, and really enjoyed it. And ofc bought the bluray when that came around, and now i just watched the 4K version. And i have to say that the transfer was real good, the picture and sound was amazing. And the movie is a cool one too, a good performance by Will Smith as always. For those who have the 4K system, this is a must have.

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: January 14, 2018, 01:37:58 PM »

Title: Pet Sematary: Premium Collection
Year: 1989
Director: Mary Lambert
Rating: Rated 18 : Strong Bloody Violence
Length: 103 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Dale Midkiff
Fred Gwynne
Denise Crosby
Brad Greenquist
Michael Lombard
Miko Hughes

Plot:
After moving to an idyllic home in the countryside, life seems perfect for the Creed family... but not for long. Louis and Rachel Creed and their two young children settle in to a house that sits next door to a pet cemetery – built on an ancient Indian burial ground. Their mysterious new neighbor, Jud Crandall (FRED GWYNNE), hides the cemetery's darkest secret... until a family tragedy brings the secret to life. Now, an unthinkable evil is about to be resurrected.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Featurettes
Digital Copy
Art cards

My Reviews:
Well, i decided to check this one out last night. And this was a first time watch for me, so i didnt know what to expect really. Just what people has said about it, and ofc the book. And wow, first of i just have to say what a great transfer this was. Even tho' i havent seen the DVD version, this blurayset was just amazing. And for the movie itself, wow. I know alot of people wont agree with me on this, but this was one of the better horror movies i've seen in a while! Great moments trough-out. And just a creepy (in a good way) trough-out. And with this premium set you got a thon of interviews with both Stephen King and the people who made the movie. All in all, this was a great movie! Is a must have if you ask me.

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: January 26, 2018, 08:50:49 PM »

Title: Dogs
Year: 1976
Director: Burt Brinckerhoff
Rating: 15
Length: 90 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: PCM: Mono
Subtitles: English

Stars:
David McCallum (1933)
Sandra McCabe
George Wyner
Eric Server
Linda Gray
Dean Santoro

Plot:
In the wake of JAWS (1975) audiences were treated to all number of nature-run-amok movies - from Jeff Lieberman's killer worm outing SQUIRM (1976) to the national park nightmare GRIZZLY (1976). Equally quick off-the-bat was DOGS, also unleashed in 1976, and treating terror-hungry audiences to an outbreak of canine carnage in a small California town. Featuring the thespian talents of British actor David McCallum (THE GREAT ESCAPE), the action comes thick and fast as 'man's best friend' is turned against its owner and chows down on human flesh - in the streets, in the corridors of a university and even in the shower... no one is safe from being mauled by a pack of blood thirsty four-legged fiends! Best compared to Stephen King's gut-wrencher CUJO (1983), few fans of 42nd Street ferocity will deny that DOGS is a B-movie masterpiece that you would be barking mad to miss!

Extras:
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Reversible sleeve

My Review:
There are some movies i feel i have to say a few things about, and this one is one of them! Just watched it recently, havent watched it before. And wow, what an' amazing movie this actually was! Just a great horror movie trough-out, great moments trough-out. And they managed even to make the puddles scary. And even tho i havent watched the DVD or VHS, i have to say that this bluray version is just amazing with the upscaled picture, widescreen and amazing sound. Not a perfect movie, but a really really good one! Really happy i got this one! Check it out my fellow movie\horror lovers!

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: March 18, 2018, 11:27:59 PM »

Title: Night of the Living Dead: The Criterion Collection
Year: 1968
Director: George A. Romero
Rating: 15
Length: 96 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Duane Jones
Judith O'Dea
Karl Hardman
Marilyn Eastman
Keith Wayne
Judith Ridley

Plot:
Shot outside Pittsburgh on a shoestring budget, by a band of filmmakers determined to make their mark, Night of the Living Dead, directed by horror master George A. Romero, is a great story of independent cinema: a midnight hit turned box-office smash that became one of the most influential films of all time. A deceptively simple tale of a group of strangers trapped in a farmhouse who find themselves fending off a horde of recently dead, flesh-eating ghouls, Romero's claustrophobic vision of a late-1960s America literally tearing itself apart rewrote the rules of the horror genre, combining gruesome gore with acute social commentary, and quietly broke ground by casting a black actor (Duane Jones) in its lead role. Stark, haunting, and more relevant today than ever, Night of the Living Dead is back.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Interviews
Poster

My Review:
Woah, what an amazing blurayset. The movie itself is ofcourse amazing, and the picture quality is amazing aswell. A great B\W zombie horror movie, a cult classic if you ask me. And with this amazing Criterion set you get so many amazing special features aswell, one extra disc with just great extras! All in all great experience! A must have really. And i'm real glad i bought it. And for only £14 it was a steal if you ask me!

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: March 28, 2018, 10:55:58 AM »

Title: Wind River
Director: Taylor Sheridan
Rating: Rated 15 : Strong Violence, Injury Detail, Sexual Violence, Language
Length: 107 Min.
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1

Stars:
Kelsey Asbille
Jeremy Renner
Julia Jones (1981)
Teo Briones
Apesanahkwat
Graham Greene (1952)

Plot:
Nothing is harder to track than the truth

From Taylor Sheridan the writer of Hell or High Water and Sicario comes a gripping crime thriller set in the unforgiving snow plains of Wyoming. Elizabeth Olsen (Avengers Age of Ultron) stars as a rookie FBI agent tasked with solving the brutal murder of a young woman in a Native American reserve. Enlisting the help of a local hunter (Jeremy Renner, Captain America Civil War) to help her navigate the freezing wilderness, the two set about trying to find a vicious killer hidden in plain sight. The closer they get to the truth the greater the danger becomes with a town full of explosive secrets ready to fight back.

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes

My Review:
Woah, so i finally got to watch this one and see what the fuzz was all about. Heard so many great things about it, and wow what a amazing movie this really was. A different but interesting story. Great moments trough out. And i have to say that i really enjoyed Elizabeth Olsen as the lead too. She did a good job. Great sound and some cool extras aswell. One of the better movies i've seen so far this year! Highly recommanded!

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: April 16, 2018, 09:08:35 PM »

Title: Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House
Director: Peter Landesman
Rating: Rated PG-13 : Some Language
Length: 103 Min.
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Commentary

Stars:
Liam Neeson
Diane Lane (1965)
Marton Csokas
Tony Goldwyn
Ike Barinholtz
Josh Lucas

Plot:
Inspired by true events, Mark Felt - The Man Who Brought Down the White House centers on the true story of “Deep Throat”, the notorious whistleblower for one of the greatest scandals of all time, Watergate. The true identity of the secret informant remained a mystery and source of much speculation for over 30 years. Until, in 2005, Special Agent Mark Felt shockingly revealed himself as the tipster. This powerful true story chronicles the life of the brilliant and uncompromising Felt, who sacrificed everything – his family, his career, his freedom – in the name of justice.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes

My Reviews:
So, anyone who knows me knows i really like history and movies that are based on a true story. And this is the\a story about the watergate scandal and we get to see the person behind 'Deep throat' I've seen alot of movies and read alot of stuff about the Watergate and Nixon ofc, but this movie shine a different kind of light on the story from a POV i havent seen before. A great cast who works really well together, and the story is real good and interesting, keeps me glued to the tv trough-out. A must watch\have movie for you collectors and history buffs out there (just like me)

My Rating:

And if any of you guys have any good history movies to recommand etc, i apprecite it :D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:15:55 PM by Piffi »
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: April 17, 2018, 11:52:58 AM »
History movies or movies based on a true story ... Well, I can think of a couple (!)

Thare are, of course, tons of movies about World War II. I know you have Max Manus, but I don't see The Heroes of Telemark in your collection. Sure it is a bit fictionalized, but it is after all an important piece of Norwegian history, so ... ?

I don't see either of the big "Bridge" movies; A Bridge Too Far and The Bridge at Remagen. The latter is kind of interesting, because the history of the movie is almost as fascinating as the history in the movie.

A movie that I would definitely recommend is The Missiles of October about the Cuba crisis in 1962, or the remake Thirteen Days with Kevin Costner.

If you're interested in older US history, there is always The Alamo with John Wayne (or the remake with Billy Bob Thornton, although I personally prefer the original). I saw The Alamo on my 14th birthday and was really hooked on the story, so I may be a bit biased on that one. I also had the good fortune of being sent to San Antonio on business trips when I worked for Datapoint (which was headquartered there), so I had a chance to see the real Alamo, in what is now downtown San Antonio.

Or for something lighter, Anna and The King [of Siam] or its musical version The King and I.

So many films, so little time ...  :)

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: April 18, 2018, 11:11:48 PM »
Hm, thanks for your recommandations :D I got Max Manus, really loved that movie when i saw it the first time. Havent watched it in ages, dunno why. Been thinking about rewatching it for ages. Maby i should, The Heroes of Telemark. Never seen it, something i have to put on my list ofc! And when it comes to A bridge too far and The Bridge at Remagen, i was sure i had it in my collection :o Thats embarresing. Thats two movies i have to order!
I love older US history. Just finished with Killer Angels (the book) a book about the us civil war. Really enjoyed that one. The Alamo i've heard alot of good things about. And i have to agree with you, i will have to say too many films and way to little time! I spend too much time at work i think!  ;) hehe
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas