Author Topic: My Blu-Ray Reviews  (Read 126287 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: My Blu-Ray Reviews
« Reply #1005 on: September 16, 2016, 05:58:14 AM »
I really would like to see the first one. Do you know the difference of the the Extended Cut vs Theatrical? Is it worth to seek that one out, or is either one fine?

However, not having seen it myself, you still might want to approach the 2nd one with lowered expectations; reviews have generally not been very kind to the sequel.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: September 17, 2016, 12:43:16 AM »
My expactations are now lowered! ;) Thanks for the headsup. I've watched both (extended and theatrical) and, i would recommand you to watch the extended. A few minutes longer then the theatrial version. A few important scenes (IMHO) in the extended version -  wich they left out in the theatrical version for some reason.  So for me, the extended version. No doubt! :)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: September 18, 2016, 01:20:44 PM »

Title: Kiss the Girls
Year: 1997
Director: Gary Fleder
Rating: R
Length: 115 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Morgan Freeman (1937)
Ashley Judd
Cary Elwes
Alex McArthur
Tony Goldwyn
Jay O. Sanders

Plot:
Eight kidnapped women. All beautiful. All talented. All in danger of having their lives cut cruelly short if police detective Alex Cross and key witness Kate McTiernan can't locate the elusive "collector" who calls himself Casanova.

From the Deep South to the California coast and back, the hunt is on in this provocative race-against-time suspenser based on the best-selling novel by James Patterson. Ashley Judd plays resourceful, strong-willed McTiernan. She's the lone escapee from Casanova's hidden lair... and determined to rescue the fellow captives she left behind. Morgan Freeman is Cross, a master at solving the unsolvable. But there's more than his reputation at stake: This time one of the victims is his niece in this "taut, riveting thriller" (Fox-TV).

Extras:
Scene Access

My Review:
I havent seen this before today. Watched the thrailer and heard good things about it. And with Morgan Freeman you always get solid stuff. And the movie was a decent dark thriller, with a dark story. And Mr.Freeman and Ms.Judd again as the main characters. Works well together in this one too. But not as well as they did in "High Crimes" IMHO. And the movie had some twist and turns here and there, but you knew how it would end. All in all, a decent movie. Check it out for a cheap penny. And for me i just have to say that with Jim Patterson, the adaptions are either miss or hit when it comes to the movies.

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: September 22, 2016, 12:35:30 AM »

Title: London Has Fallen
Year: 2015
Director: Babak Najafi
Rating: Rated 15 : Strong Violence, Threat, Injury Detail, Strong Language
Length: 99 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Gerard Butler
Morgan Freeman

Plot:
The sequel to the worldwide smash hit Olympus Has Fallen begins in London, where the British Prime Minister has passed away under mysterious circumstances. His funeral is a must-attend event for leaders of the Western world. But what starts out as the most protected event on earth, turns into a deadly plot to kill the world's most powerful leaders, devastate every known landmark in the British capital, and unleash a terrifying vision of the future. Only three people have any hope of stopping it: the President of the United States (Aaron Eckhart), his formidable secret service head (Gerard Butler), and an English MI-6 agent who rightly trusts no one.

Extras:
Scene Access
Featurettes
Digital Copy

My Review:
So, that was a fun movie. I watched the first one (Olympus has fallen) when that first came out, and i enjoyed that one too. So i decided to get this one aswell when it came out. And the movie is a cool sequel. A bit over the top story (wich often makes for the good action movies) Some great moments here and there, alot of shooting and explotions ofc. And we get a Gerard Butler who saves the world again from the bad guys. And this blurayset offers great picture and sound aswell. All in all a fun and good action movie.

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: September 22, 2016, 11:39:20 PM »

Title: Frozen
Year: 2009
Director: Adam Green (1975)
Rating: Rated 15 : Strong Language, Horror and Grisly Images
Length: 93 Min.
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Commentary: PCM: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: PCM: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Emma Bell
Shawn Ashmore
Kevin Zegers
Ed Ackerman
Rileah Vanderbilt
Kane Hodder

Plot:
Trapped in the wilderness.
Dangling 100 feet off the ground.
Nothing to protect your body from the winter fury except the clothes on your back. No one knows you're there.
And no one will be back for 5 days.

A typical day on the slopes turns into a chilling nightmare for three snowboarders when they get stranded on a chairlift before their last run of the weekend. As the ski patrol switches off the night lights, they realize with growing panic that they've been left behind dangling 100ft off the ground with no way down.

The trio must battle more than just hypothermia as they make a desperate attempt to get off the mountain.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes

My Review:
Well, after hearing only good things about this one, and having it in my unwatched pile for ages. I finally decided to check it out. And to be fair, the movie was a decent horrorflick. Even tho the story was a simple one, a bit different on tho. They made it work with what they got. Some great moments trough-out. And this bluray offers some great picture and sound aswell. Not a perfect horrorflick, but a fairly decent one. If you go in to this one not expecting too much i think you will enjoy it. Check it out for a cheap penny. And the chick in this was kinda hot too.

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: September 23, 2016, 06:04:40 AM »
I agree. Seeing how they just hinged the whole movie about the simple premise (and they even made it somewhat believable) it is quite enjoyable to watch and does never quite outstay its welcome.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: September 25, 2016, 12:19:15 AM »

Title: Along Came a Spider
Year: 2001
Director: Lee Tamahori
Rating: Rated R : Violence and Language
Length: 103 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, German: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Polish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai

Stars:
Morgan Freeman (1937)
Monica Potter
Michael Wincott
Dylan Baker (1959)
Mika Boorem
Anton Yelchin

Plot:
Morgan Freeman reprises his Kiss the Girls role as Alex Cross in this spellbinding psychological thriller that is "a knockout with a surprise twist."* After the harrowing death of his partner, detective and best-selling author Alex Cross has retreated to the peace of retirement. But when a brilliant criminal (Michael Wincott) kidnaps a senator's young daughter, Alex is lured back into action. Teamed with the Secret Service agent (Monica Potter) assigned to protect the missing girl, Alex follows a serpentine trail of clues that leads him to a stunning discovery – the kidnapper wants more than just ransom...he wants Alex's help in documenting the crime of the century. With time running out, Alex plunges through a tangled web of danger and deceit to stop a madman and save an innocent victim's life.

*Bill Diehl, ABC-RADIO NETWORKS

Extras:
Scene Access

My Review:
Well, that was better then i expected it to be. Morgan Freeman was back as Dr.Cross and this time with a bit different story and agenda this time. I liked the story really. Intense and suspencefull trough-out. And as with the first movie this had a cool twist that i actually didnt see coming (maby its me that is slow) but i liked it. Morgan Freeman does another great performance as Dr.Cross. All in all this was a real good thriller. I wouldnt mind if they would make another movie. Check them out!

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: September 28, 2016, 12:32:14 AM »

Title: The Reader
Year: 2008
Director: Stephen Daldry
Rating: Rated R : Some Scenes of Sexuality and Nudity
Length: 124 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Ralph Fiennes
Jeanette Hain
David Kross
Kate Winslet
Susanne Lothar
Alissa Wilms

Plot:
Academy Award® winner* Kate Winslet (Revolutionary Road) delivers a dynamic performance in this "tale of eroticism, secrecy and guilt" (Claudia Puig, USA Today) set in turbulent post-Nazi Germany. Bringing to life the celebrated international novel, Winslet is riveting as Hanna Schmitz – a lonely, working-class woman who experiences a brief but intense affair with a teenage boy. Years later they meet again: Hanna now a defendant in a notorious case and her ex-lover, now a law student, holding the secret to her salvation. Directed by three-time Academy Award® nominee** Stephen Daldry (Billy Elliot, The Hours) and featuring Ralph Fiennes (The Duchess) as the grown man still reeling from Hanna's influence, The Reader is a "moving, romantic and poignant story" (Roger Friedman, Fox News) about the difficult distance between truth and reconciliation.

*2009 Best Actress, The Reader. **2009 Best Director, The Reader; 2003 Best Director, The Hours; 2000 Best Director, Billy Elliot.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes

My Review:
So i finally got around to watch this one. Only heard great things about it. And Kate Winslet won her oscar in this one aswell. And me being in love with Kate Winslet, and her work it was a must for me. And i really enjoyed it. The story was strong and powerfull. Kept me interested trough-out. Had some interesting spots here and there. And ofc Kate Winslet was gold. Best performance from her. Well deserved oscar if you ask me. Strong and good movie. For me, this is a must have and a must watch. And the bluray got some good extras too.

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: September 30, 2016, 07:06:45 PM »

Title: Everest
Year: 2015
Director: Baltasar Kormákur
Rating: Rated PG-13 : Intense Peril and Disturbing Images
Length: 121 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD: 7.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Jason Clarke (1969)
Ang Phula Sherpa
Thomas M. Wright
Martin Henderson
Tom Goodman-Hill
Charlotte Bøving

Plot:
Inspired by the incredible events surrounding an attempt to reach the summit of the world's highest mountain, Everest documents the awe-inspiring journey of two different expeditions challenged beyond their limits by one of the fiercest snowstorms ever encountered by mankind. Their mettle tested by the harshest elements found on the planet, the climbers will face nearly impossible obstacles as a lifelong obsession becomes a breathtaking struggle for survival. Critics call Everest "...exciting, thrilling, moving, and completely engaging." - Scott Mendelson, Forbes

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Digital Copy

My Review:
Woah, i guess i'm a bit late to the party, but finally watched this one! And what a amazing movie this was. Based on a true story ofc. Wich makes the story\movie that much stronger to watch. What a journey they put us trough. And wow, the cast was great aswell. The scenery was breathtaking. And the sound and picture was amazing aswell. And as we know with Mount Everest, its not every story that ends on a good note. This story ends with both a good and not that good ending. This is a must watch. Perfect!

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: October 05, 2016, 03:08:13 PM »

Title: Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
Year: 1994
Director: Tom Shadyac
Rating: Rated PG-13 : Off-Color Humor and Some Nudity
Length: 86 Min.
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, German: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Jim Carrey (1962)
Courteney Cox
Sean Young (1959)
Tone Loc [Tone Lõc]
Dan Marino
Noble Willingham

Plot:
He's the best there is. In fact, he's the only one there is! He's Ace Ventura Pet Detective. Jim Carrey (The Mask, Dumb and Dumber, Liar Liar) is on the case to find the Miami Dolphins' missing mascot and quarterback Dan Marino. He goes eyeball to eyeball with a man-eating shark, stakes out the Miami Dolphins and woos and wows the ladies. Whether he's undercover, under fire or underwater, he always gets his man...or beast.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
3 Episodes of the Animated Series

My Review:
So, this was one of my favorite comedy's when i grew up. And when i found out that it was on bluray i had to have them. We all know the story about Ace Ventura. Its one of the better comedy's i've ever seen. A young Jim Carrey who is just top notch as a crazy Ace Ventura. The movie got alot of LOL moments trough-out. I actually caught myself laughing out loud. Some great lines aswell. And the transfer to bluray is also amazing. Picture and sound are so much better then the DVD's. And this great blurayset got some great extras too. Its a must have! Now i will watch the 2nd Ventura movie, before the horror marathon begins again.

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: October 05, 2016, 04:44:59 PM »

Title: Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls
Year: 1995
Director: Steve Oedekerk
Rating: Rated PG-13 : Crude Humor
Length: 94 Min.
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.0, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, German: Dolby Digital: 5.0, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.0, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Jim Carrey (1962)
Ian McNeice
Simon Callow
Maynard Eziashi
Bob Gunton
Sophie Okonedo

Plot:
Africa's the place where Ace is on the case, setting out to rescue an animal he loathes – a bat! Jim Carrey returns as the alligator-rasslin', elephant-calling, monkeyshining, loogie-launching, burning coals-crossing, disguise-mastering pet detective. If you're ready to laugh like a pack of hyenas, if you want more fun than an industrial-sized barrel of monkeys, you know what to do. Heed the call.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers

My Review:
So, that was my double feature comedy for the day. Another hilarious movie by Jim Carrey. Man with the rubber face! Really enjoyed this aswell. This time around he is in Africa on somekind of a different mission. And ofcourse, alot of hilarious and LOL moments trough-out. Again some great work by Jim Carrey. Another great transfer to bluray! Ace Ventura is a must have! And i recommand you to get the upgrade to bluray. Well worth it! And now, its time for a short nap.

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: October 23, 2016, 11:06:07 AM »

Title: The Angry Birds Movie
Year: 2016
Director: Clay Kaytis, Fergal Reilly
Rating: Rated PG : Rude Humor and Action
Length: 97 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD: 7.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Cantonese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Korean: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Thai: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Vietnamese: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: Bahasa, Chinese, Danish, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Vietnamese, Other

Stars:
Jason Sudeikis
Josh Gad
Danny McBride (1976)
Maya Rudolph
Bill Hader
Peter Dinklage

Plot:
In this hilarious animated adventure comedy, you'll finally find out why the birds are so angry. In an island paradise populated entirely by happy, flightless birds – or amost entirely, Red, a bird with a temper problem, speedy Chuck, and the volatile Bomb have always been outsiders. But when the island is visited by mysterious green piggies, it's up to these unlikely outcasts to figure out what the pigs are up to.

Extras:
None

My Review:
So, i was in the mood for something else then horror, so i decided to check this one out. And it was as i expected it to be, lighthearted fun trough-out. With some funny lines and some lol moments here and there. And the movie is just plain fun with some digs at the game. And this blurayset got some great picture and sound quality aswell. A decent family fun movie. Check it out.
A feelgood movie for the whole family there. Just what i needed this sunday morning.

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: October 31, 2016, 07:58:39 PM »

Title: Mother's Day
Director: Garry Marshall
Rating: Rated PG-13 : Language and Some Suggestive Material
Length: 119 Min.
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Jennifer Aniston
Kate Hudson
Julia Roberts

Plot:
From Garry Marshall, the director of Pretty Woman and Valentine's Day, comes MOTHER'S DAY, an all-star comedy that celebrates parenthood and family. Jennifer Aniston, Julia Roberts, Kate Hudson and Jason Sudeikis lead an incredible cast in a film that intersects the lives of a group of people manuevering their way through a crazy week of difficult relationships and family dysfunction in the week leading up to Mother's Day. It's a comedy that will make you laugh, cry and cheer!

Extras:
Scene Access
Deleted Scenes
Outtakes/Bloopers
Digital Copy

My Review:
So, people who knows me or have read some of my reviews trough the years know that i got a thing for Jennifer Aniston. I've loved her since i first saw her in Friends as Rachel! And i try to own the movies she's in. And this one i bought manly because of the cast. But i was really suprised by it. In a good way tho! The movie had just a great feelgood story with some sweet and warm moments trough-out. We also got some funny lines and moments trough-out. Just a feelgood movie for the whole family. And its always good to see Jen ;)  hehe. Really enjoyed it. I think its now safe to say, i watch almost allkinds of genres. Its a recommanded movie to check out. Specially if you like Jennifer Aniston :)

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: November 13, 2016, 10:26:43 PM »

Title: Money Monster
Director: Jodie Foster
Rating: Rated R : Language Throughout, Some Sexuality and Brief Violence
Length: 95 Min.
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Portuguese: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Thai: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: Bahasa, Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
George Clooney
Julia Roberts
Jack O'Connell (1990)
Dominic West
Caitriona Balfe
Giancarlo Esposito

Plot:
In the real-time, high-stakes thriller, George Clooney and Julia Roberts star as financial TV host Lee Gates and his producer, Patty, who are put in an extreme situation when an irate investor who has lost everything (Jack O'Connell) forcefully takes over their studio. During a tense standoff broadcast to millions on live TV, Lee and Patty must work furiously against the clock to unravel the mystery behind a conspiracy at the heart of today's fast-paced, high-tech global markets.

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Digital Copy

My Review:
Well, i've been wanting to check this one out ever since i knew it would come out. I really like George Clooney. This movie talks about a story that is very real for us today, greedy people who will do anything for a profit. And we have a solid cast who does a solid job as usual. And the movie keeps the suspence trough-out. And ofc Jodie Foster.. Cant go wrong. And this blurayset offers some cool extras too. Highly recommanded!

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: November 19, 2016, 11:24:23 PM »

Title: The Jungle Book: 3D
Director: Jon Favreau
Rating: Rated PG : Mild threat
Length: 106 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS-HD High Resolution: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Commentary

Stars:
Neel Sethi
Bill Murray
Ben Kingsley
Idris Elba
Lupita Nyong'o
Scarlett Johansson

Plot:
In an epic adventure directed by Jon Favreau (Iron Man), Mowgli, a man-cub raised in the jungle by a family of wolves, embarks on a captivating journey of self-discovery when he's forced to abandon the only home he's ever known. Featuring Bill Murray, Ben Kungsley and Scarlett Johansson in a spectacular all-star voice cast.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes

My Review:
I didnt know what to think or expect going in to this one. I really enjoyed the old disney classic, and the thrailer for this one looked amazing aswell. And the adaption over to the "live" one was amazing. I watched the 3D version, and the visiual aspect was amazing, the 3D moments was amazing aswell. We all know the story and the outcome, so nothing new there. But what they have done with this, superb! Highly recommanded to check out.

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas