Author Topic: Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies
« on: March 25, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »
Over on another forum, we're doing a retro award marathon for 1957. We are also including short films in this marathon, and after watching my first short, decided to start my own LT/MM marathon for here.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 07:50:07 PM »
Boyhood Daze (1957) 3.5/5 - Cute little Looney Tunes short which spins a yarn about a young boy and his creative imagination. The boy's name is Ralph Johnson, and he has just broken a window in his home, and is sent to his room by his mother. While awaiting his father's return from work, he daydreams about life as a world famous explorer who saves his parents from cannibals, and a world famous jet pilot who saves the world from invading martians. As Looney Tunes cartoons go, this is typical Chuck Jones fare, with the emphasis more on cute than chaotic. What makes this short rather interesting is that you can see the groundwork being laid for Jones' seminal Christmas offering, How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Each time Ralph smiles slyly, you can envision the Grinch emitting that same emotion, and when Ralph is flying his jet aircraft, it's almost a shot for shot rendering of the Grinch's sleigh ride down to Whoville.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 01:14:44 AM »
Bugsy and Mugsy (1957) 3.5/5 - Friz Freleng dabbled with all kinds of nemeses for Bugs Bunny during the forties and fifties, and my favorite pair were Rocky and Mugsy, the bumbling bank robbers. They had proven so successful in 1953's Bugs and Thugs, that Freleng decided another short featuring the two incompetent crooks was in order. All though it has a few chuckles, it really pales in comparison to its predecessor. I think that it fails to deliver as much laughs as Bugs and Thugs because Bugs Bunny never is actually seen by the crooks, as Bugs uses subliminal messaging to turn the two on each other. It's good for a few gags, but the short kind of runs out of steam at the end.