Author Topic: Hello fellow film fans!  (Read 3082 times)

gemhunter

Hello fellow film fans!
« on: February 04, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »
My name is Brian, my handle here is gemhunter which is an apt description because I am always looking for movies that are diamonds in the rough or forgotten for some reason (typically marketing!). I currently have around 2200 different titles in my collection. I am an "old school" collector so all of my stuff is on actual DVDs. My brother in law has all of his stuff on harddrives but I feel the need to be able to pick up a film and hold it in my hand.
In a perfect world I would make my living as a critical theorist (specializing in film of course!). For now I write about film from this point of view and do my own rambling reviews after every film I watch. Hopefully someday I will send someone a manuscript and get published.
My "real" job is as a cabinet maker, and I have tons of ideas for anyone who like myself, keep your collection in dvd cases on shelves, so feel free to pick my brain on that stuff. I look forward to "hanging out" on DVD collectors online! Thanks for the invite!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Hello fellow film fans!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 12:07:29 PM »
Welcome to the group! Sure you will like it here. And I for one personally agree with you. I don't do the whole movies on harddrive thing either. I like having the disc in hand. I have been collecting DVDs since May of '97 and currently have 2,942 releases (counting boxsets as 1 set not # of movies in set)... with 2 more on the way (2 TV Series). I love collecting TV Shows just as much... if not a little more then collecting movies. So I have a bunch of both. Matter of fact I have 175 TV Shows in my collection that I have every single episode of alone! You can see my entire DVD Collection HERE.

We do a lot of reviewing on this site. Hope to see you jump right in... but don't let it scare you. It amounts to no more then a group of friends sharing their opinions on the stuff they watch. It definitely don't matter if we all agree on what we watch or not.

Once again... welcome to the group!  :cheers:
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 12:15:09 PM »
Welcome. :thumbup:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 01:55:52 PM »
Hi, welcome! Hope you'll enjoy your time here and stick around.

My collection is approaching 2,000 faster than I'd like it to, but then there always seems to another one I "need". I also stick to physical products, but besides DVDs I also have Blu-rays now. I kep most my stuff in Ikea Billy shelves, except for ome stuff that is displayed more prominently on some other shelves.

My favorite genre is horror, but in recent years the percentage of horror in my collection has sadly gone down.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 04:33:59 PM »
Welcome aboard Brian!   :thumbup:

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 06:56:18 PM »
I need some additional shelving (but I have been putting it off because I have a very specific design in mind that I haven't gotten around to producing.)

Welcome to the party! :thundergod:
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 02:01:26 AM »
Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forums.  :cheers:

Do you have your collection posted somewhere? It sounds interesting and I'd like to check your collection out.

I'm  looking forward to reading your reviews.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 02:42:21 AM »
Welcome to the board. :)

I need more shelves too...but I need to find room to put them first.   :laugh:

MEJHarrison

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 12:17:44 AM »
Welcome! I hope you find your stay here enjoyable! :hysterical:

BigTim

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 12:29:38 PM »
Welcome!!!!!!!!!  This is a most Diverse and Fun group...  They are helpful and so enjoyable to chat with.  I hope you find it the same :)

Big Tim

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 02:35:04 PM »
Welcome!  Hope to hear more from you and that you have fun here!

Have run out of space for shelves ... must go to binders.  :(
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

kahless

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 02:47:14 PM »
Welcome, Brian!!  :thundergod: