Author Topic: "Stargate SG-1" Marathon  (Read 31145 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: "Stargate SG-1" Marathon
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2008, 07:27:07 PM »
Don't you have to start the marathon from the beginning with your new set?  ;D

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2008, 07:48:41 PM »
Don't you have to start the marathon from the beginning with your new set?  ;D
Now you mention it.  :bag:

:hysterical:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2008, 01:14:11 PM »
Disc 5

Fail Safe
Synopsis: An asteroid closes in on Earth from a strange direction and it will hit Earth. SG-1 tries to repair a crashed Tel'tak (cargo ship) and then to land on the asteroid and to blow it up with the help of a Naqahdah-enhanced nuclear bomb.

My Opinion: Great moment, when Jack comments "I've seen that movie!" in the beginning, obviously referring to Armageddon. They nonetheless found a good, typical Stargate solution to the problem.

The Warrior
Synopsis: On a planet that isn't ruled by a Goa'uld is a base of Jaffa. Some of their "gods" have been killed, some Jaffa simply deserted. Their leader is K'tano, former First Prime of Imhotep, who killed his "god". But the ways of the Jaffa and the Tau'ri are different and Jack cannot recommend an alliance as long as K'tano is in charge.

My Opinion: This episode shows, how convincing charismatic leaders can be. It also shows that they haven't necessarily the best for their followers in mind. I also liked the Matrix-like fight sequence.

Menace
Synopsis: On a planet whose population has been wiped out, SG-1 finds a disabled android in the forum of a young woman. After she's been reactivated they find out that she doesn't know about her artificiality and her state of mind is that of a child. But then she builds a present and toy for Daniel that is terribly familiar to SG-1.

My Opinion: Another episode where Jack and Daniel crash into each other about the way they should handle a very dangerous situation. But I honestly didn't know whith whom I should've agreed.

Sentinel
Synopsis: A planet that is supposed to have a protection mechanism is attacked by the Goa'uld. Obviously the inofficial NID commando broke it when they visited the planet 2 years ago. Now they have to accompany SG-1 to fix it.

My Opinion: What I didn't like about this episode was that they were killed in the end. That was to forseeable. And the fact that the Colonel sacrificed himself to save Jack didn't match with the facts we learned about him in this very episode.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 03:40:29 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2008, 05:15:55 PM »
Disc 6

Meridian
Synopsis: SG-1 returns from a mission on which Daniel was exposed to a high and lethal dosis of radiation. He is still alive but he is going to die in a few hours time. Additionally there's a dispute about how the accident happened and whether Daniel has caused it. The accident - they experimented on Naqahdriah (an instable isotope of Naqahdah) - has also led to the death of some Kelownian scientists.

My Opinion: A very good farewell episode for Dr. Daniel Jackson (Michael Shanks wanted to leave the show). Everyone had the chance to say goodbye to him. But it was also the episode that introduced the character of Jonas Quinn (Corin Nemec, Parker Lewis in Parker Lewis Can't Lose). I liked it.

Revelations
Synopsis: Thor's ship has been destroyed by a Goa'uld Ha'tak. This means the Asgard can't enforce the Protected Planets Treaty any longer - at least not as long as their main forces are engaged in the battle against the Replicators. Therefore they ask SG-1 to evacuate the Asgard Heimdall from a planet where he conducted important research.

My Opinion: Surprisingly for the first time in the show's history this wasn't a cliffhanger. But that could be in regard to the fact that the show was sold to another network after this season. But they still managed to open more new questions instead of answering old ones - especially the question of who and what Anubis really his and where he got the technology to defeat the Asgard. The weakness of this episode was that the Asgard allegedly had no resources at the begin of the episode but could send three O'Neill class ships in the end.

The Season - My Opinion: In this season the indirect and direct confrontations with the Goa'uld have intensified again and Anubis has managed to destroy the biggest threats to the Goa'uld: the Tollans are most likely wiped out, the Tok'ra are on the run and the Asgard are no longer superior. Now the humans are standing on their own again. I liked the season even though there were many sad episodes.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2008, 10:26:45 AM »
Season 6

Disc 1

Redemption
Synopsis: For three months Jonas Quinn has been on Earth and in the SGC. Now he is allowed to leave for the first time, SG-1 takes him with them to Area 51, where the X-302 has been completed. After the X-301 disaster the X-302 is completely man-made and with the help of the Naqahdriah it even has an hyperlight drive - the Death Gliders don't have one.
But then Teal'c has to return to Chulak because his wife is dying and his son blames him for that. While he's there someone opens the Stargate to Earth but it doesn't close again.

My Opinion: As predicted, Anubis now turns his attention to Earth but obviously he doesn't dare to trike openly - yet. The X-302 has its charme because she really looks like a mixture of stealth bomber and Death Glider. I also like Jack's question if it has Phasers when Sam enumerated all the features.

Redemption, Part 2
Synopsis: A little more than 50 hours until the Stargate overloads and will blow up the state of Colorado and poison the atmosphere. The Stargate can't be disabled and ths SGC has no way to contact the Asgard. But then Jonas has an idea and Bra'tac, Teal'c and Rya'c do their best to save Earth.

My Opinion: A good conclusion to this two-parter, especially because they didn't find a technobabble solution to close the Gate but really had to dispose it. And the second Gate didn't come out of nowhere thus it was no miracle solution. Ironically the now installed Gate is the original one and the blown up one is the Antarctica Gate.
BTW: This was the fourth time a Battlestar Galactica cast member made an appearance: Aaron Douglas (Chief Tyrol in BSG) played of of Anubis's Jaffa.

Descent
Synopsis: A Ha'tak has entered orbit around Earth but it doesn't attack. SG-1 - whose most recent addition has been Jonas Quinn - and Jacob/Selmak fly to the ship in a Tel'tak. The ship has been abandoned and it is the same ship in which Thor was held prisoner.

My Opinion: I like Jonas. He has an innocent, curious nature. He hasn't yet seen what SG-1 has seen and one really believes that he wants to become a part of it.
A really good effect was when the ring transporter "beamed" Jonas and the water pillar.

Frozen
Synopsis: Four years after the Antarctica Gate has been discovered a young woman is found - but she is not Jaffa but instead several million years old. She is one of the Ancients but she looks like a human. That means today's humans are only the second evolution of this form on this planet and that can't be a coincedence.

My Opinion: I don't know why but Ayiana always reminded me of Leeloo from The Fifth Element. We also see that Jonas has the same talent Daniel had when it comes to connecting with other beings. Apart from that the episode wasn't that interesting.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2008, 01:13:29 PM »
Disc 2

Nightwalkers
Synopsis: While Jack is still with the Tok'ra , Sam gets an mysterious call from a scientist. This scientist is somehow connected to Adrian Conrad and Sam, Teal'c and Jonas drive to a small town to find out what is going on.

My Opinion: Nice The X Files episode. ;) I especially liked the part where Sam pretended to be a Goa'uld ans slapped Jonas in the face.

Abyss
Synopsis: Jack and his symbiote have tried to free the Lo'tar (the highest rank among human slaves, in this case a woman) of Ba'al but they only partly succeed. Shortly before both get captured the symbiote leaves Jack and Jack gets captured. Then he is tortured by Ba'al who wants to find out what they were doing there. Jack's only support is Daniel who cannot be corporeal (due to his ascension) but can be seen and talked to.

My Opinion: I have no clue what the purpose of this episode was. Ba'al tortures Jack and Daniel tries to pull him through it by talking to him. But the conversations weren't interesting.

Shadow Play
Synopsis: The Kelownans (Jonas's people) come to Earth and ask for help. The other two states on this planet are negiotiating a non-aggression pact and the Kelownans are afraid that they will be attacked afterwards. But Jonas's old professor is a member of a secret organisation that tries to create an enduring peace on the planet.

My Opinion: While I liked to see Dean Stockwell (Al in Quantum Leap) again, this episode was also not that interesting.

The Other Guys
Synopsis: Three scientists, Felger, Coombs and Meyers are researching a ring transporter on a planet when they are ordered back through the Stargate by SG-1. SG-1 is attacked by an Al'kesh and gets captured. Felger decides to follow them with Coombs in tow.

My Opinion: Great episode. The both of them in these unfitting Jaffa uniforms and the ridiculously painted tattoo and the many Star Trek references (Roddenberry, Redshirts, ...) - I loved to watch them. Especially because Coombs is played by John Billingsley (Dr. Phlox in Star Trek: Enterprise).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 01:15:32 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2008, 11:37:52 AM »
Disc 3

Allegiance
Synopsis: A Tok'ra base has been overrun by Anubis's troops and a group of SG teams helps to evacuate. They bring the Tok'ra to the Alpha Site, a planet unknown to the Goa'uld. The Jaffa rebels also live there since they've been betrayed by Imhotep. But both groups don't get along very well and it escalates when a Jaffa and a Tok'ra is killed under dubious circumstances.

My Opinion: In my opinion they portrayed the conflict well, because the basic statement is correct: While both are fighting for the same cause, they have been enemies for ages and that isn't solved over night. The "crisis management" of Jack, Bra'tac and Jacob/Selmak was also believable.

Cure
Synopsis: SG-1 comes to a planet that technologically isn't as far developed as Earth but they can offer something else: Tretonin. A medicine than can cure all kinds of illnesses and prevents from getting ill. The catch is that it suspends the natural immune system, that it has to be taken regularily and how it is produced.

My Opinion: What I liked here was the moral conflict. Nobody except SG-1 seems to have any problem with using a Goa'uld queen as long as it was just any queen. When it turns out to be Egeria, the mother of all Tok'ra, it becomes reprehensible. I liked it.

Prometheus
Synopsis: A reporter has learned of a secret project, code name "Prometheus". But it isn't what she'd thought it was, but the X-303, the first human-built mothership with hyperlight drive. But then Colonol Simmons and Adrian Conrad hijack it and only Sam and Jonas are on board to stop them.

My Opinion: I liked the cock-and-bull story Sam told the reporter of how they gained access to the alien technology and her intentional avoiding of the word "Roswell". ;) While I liked the episode, the threat to blow up the ship and Nevada had a flaw: The Goa'uld's instinct of self preservation is extremely high and I would rule Simmons out as a martyr. I would have called the bluff.

Unnatural Selection
Synopsis: SG-1 is asked by Thor to fly with the X-303 (Jack wasn't allowed to name her "Enterprise") to the home galaxy of the Asgards and fight the Replicators once again. The Asgard had an ingenious plan but it failed miserably. Now SG-1 has to face a completely new generation of Replicators.

My Opinion: When I wrote the above summary a moment ago, I actually wrote "new generation of Cylons" - and truth be told, that wasn't that far a mental leap. The new Replicators look like humans but they aren't. One of the five Replicators is played by Tahmoh Penikett (Karl "Helo" Agathon in Battlestar Galactica) who has a child with a Cylon in BSG. ;)
There are other similarities as well. While the first four are normal Replicators, Fifth (Patrick Currie) has become much more human, an attribute he shares with certain Cylon models.
I liked this episode, too.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 01:28:27 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2008, 06:18:49 PM »
Disc 4

Sight Unseen
Synopsis: After SG-1 has brought a device to Earth that was presumably build by the Ancients, Jonas starts to see weird insects. At first no one knows what to make of it but then others begin to see them, too. It even spreads among the normal population.

My Opinion: I liked the fact that it wasn't something they brought back but that these creatures have always been here - we just can't perceive them. The gas station guy was also funny and I liked the insects they've invented.

Smoke & Mirrors
Synopsis: Jack assassinates Senator Kinsey. At least it looks like it. While Jack is in prison, SG-1 tries to find out what really happened and they get help from the NID.

My Opinion: As I previously mentioned, nearly every storyline gets picked up again and is continued in SG-1. This time they re-used the holographic devices from Foothold. I especially liked the way Teal'c interrogated the scientist. I also thought it to be a good thing that they portreyed the NID from a different POV, that they aren't just a heinous gang that stops at nothing.

Paradise Lost
Synopsis: In exchange for a Stargate address and a device that can open an Ancients weapons locker, Maybourne gets a presidential pardon. He also has another trump card that allows him to accompany SG-1. But he played with marked cards and he transports himself and Jack to a remote place. Unfortunately he doesn't find what he had hoped for.

My Opinion: Finally a decent Jack episode again. I haven't noticed it before but it struck me during this marathon: Richard Dean Anderson had astonishingly few screen time during this season. In one episode he made no appearance at all (Nightwalkers) in others he has very few scenes (especially but not exclusively in the last two episodes).
But Jack and Maybourne were once again fun to watch, both have their way to survive in the wilderness. And once again it's Jack who is seperated from his team and has to survive on a remote planet for several weeks. He has the same talent as Daniel who falls for power.

Metamorphosis
Synopsis: The russian SG team brings a man to the SGC. He and his people are experimented on by Nirrti. SG-1 feels morally obligated to stop her but they get caught in the experiment.

My Opinion: She got what she deserved. The fact that she has been killed by her own victims bears a certain poetic justice. But I am more interested in what the writers had in mind when they mentioned that Jonas's DNA is different. I can't remember if this has ever been revealed.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 06:24:37 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2008, 12:24:32 AM »
Disc 4

Disclosure
Synopsis: The ambassadors of China, the United Kingdom and France have been invited to the Pentagon. There they learn about the Stargate program. But Senator Kinsey is also present and he wants to persuade the ambassadors to give the NID control over the Stargate program.

My Opinion: Now alle the permanent members of the UN Security Council know about the Stargate. Interesting about this episode was that no member of SG-1 (past or present) made a live appearance. Everything was presented as flashbacks. If you wanted to see a SG team, you'd have to imagine General Hammond, Major Davis, Colonel Checkov and Thor as a SG team. ;)
But the best scene was when Thor corrects Senator Kinsey and insists that he isn't just a Commander but the Supreme Commander of the Asgard fleet.
But you haven't missed anything if you didn't watch it.

Forsaken
Synopsis: SG-1 discovers a crashed spaceship and its crew, but is soon attacked by other aliens. Sam wants to repair the ship to learn more about it but the crew isn't who they claim to be.

My Opinion: The episode wasn't bad, especially because SG-1 has learned from past experiences not to judge too quickly, who the "good guys" and who the "bad guys" are.
But what I found more interesting was to read the name Dion Johnstone once again. Dion was the black "Jaffa" in Rules of Engagement. After that he played the Unas Chaka, the Goa'uld Na'onak (Apophis's alter ego on the hell moon, probably to avoid the mentioning of Peter Williams's name in the opening sequence and thus spoiling the punch line), Lt. Tyler in The Fifth Man and just recently in Metamorphosis. In this episode he played the Captain of the Sebrus. It reminds me a bit of Wayne Alexander who played Sebastian (Jack the Ripper) and Lorien as well as a Narn, a Drazi and a Drakh in Babylon 5. However, both actors wore masks in most of their roles thus avoiding to challenge the suspension of disbelief.

The Changeling
Synopsis: Teal'c has weird dreams, although he usually doesn't dream at all. He dreams that he is a firefighter. But he has to leave soon for an important mission but these dreams prevent him from having a proper Kel'no'reem. The firefighter with the nickname "T" has weird dreams. He dreams that he belongs to a team that visits other planets. But he has to undergo an important surgery soon, he gives one of his kidneys to his stepfather Brae.

My Opinion: Great episode. To see all the guys (and gal) as firefighters was interesting. Sometimes it reminded me of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's Far Beyond the Stars. But as I said, I like out-of-character episodes. This wasn't even a real out-of-character episode because all people behaved as they would normally do - except that they were firefighters.

Memento
Synopsis: During a training flight with the Prometheus the hyperlight drive had to be jettisoned in the orbit of a planet where it explodes. Unfortunately the planet has no Stargate and without the hyperlight drive the travel would take ages.

My Opinion: An picture that is shown on Stargate (both in SG-1 or Atlantis) is that alien cultures can be as paranoid as we are. And that this paranoia can lead to actions that make more damage than they prevent. Unfortunately politicians on our planet don't seem to watch Sci-Fi shows. Instead they are creating more security laws and are thereby taking our freedom. Fortunately there was a politican that wasn't short-sighted (that's the reason why they call it "fiction").
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2008, 12:23:29 PM »
Disc 6

Prophecy
Synopsis: Caused by Nirrti's experiments a tumor is growing in Jonas's brain and it's growing fast. But this tumor has a side effect: Jonas has flashes of future events that come true. But the tumor also endangers his life.

My Opinion: I stand corrected, they pick up the story of Jonas's DNA again. But the episode was average. Went to a planet, helped a people, killed a Goa'uld, departured.

Full Circle
Synopsis: Daniel appears to both Skaara and Jack to warn them that Anubis will come to Abydos to find the "Eye of Ra". This would allow him to build a powerful weapon. SG-1 wants to forstall him.

My Opinion: A good conclusion to the Abydos storyline, I especially liked the reunion of Jack and Daniel. What amazes me with these stories is where these super-weapons always come from. It's highly unlikely that none of the other System Lords tried to find it, especially when two of the "Eyes" belonged to Ra and Osiris. Ra has been dead for a while and Osiris was out of the game for more than a millennia. Apophis who also possessed one should have been more than interested to get these, yet his former First Prime Teal'c didn't even know they existed.
Anyway, the episode was good, particularly because they didn't defeat Anubis in some surprising way.

The Season - My Opinion: The season was mixed. Jonas brought new life into the team and I liked him end-to-end. But there were a number of episodes I didn't like that much and I even liked the clip show Disclosure more than (for example) Shadow Play. But they still managed to create a good enemy, after the "abdication" of Apophis.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2008, 06:01:43 PM »
Season 7

Disc 1

Fallen
Synopsis: SG-1 is still searching for the "Lost City" or - as Jonas translates it now - "City of the Lost", a city of the Ancients that wasn't fully completed. They try to find the city with the help of the Gate addresses Jack entered into the computer when he had the knowledge of the Ancients. But they find something different - someone, to be precise.

My Opinion: The attack on Anubis's ship was a nice homage to the battle above Yavin in Star Wars IV, including Jack's comment that his F-302 (it's obviously not eXperimental anymore) should have the call sign "Red Leader". Michael Shanks has re-joined the main cast and returns to his role as Dr. Daniel Jackson. And while I liked Jonas, Daniel is somehow better. Jack and Daniel know each other for over seven years and even in the end Jonas was still "the new guy". The chemistry between Jack and Daniel worked instantaneously again in terms of: they like each other but are totally different.

Homecoming
Synopsis: Daniel and Jonas are still aboard Anubis's ship which hovers now over the capitol of Kelowna. Anubis wants to have the Naqahdriah and the knowledge of how to create a stable reaction.

My Opinion: On one hand it's understandable that Jonas returns home. Daniel is back and all three countries on his home planet know about the Stargate now. It's a bit sad, though. But since Daniel and he had basically the same role within SG-1 it would be hard to acknowledge this fact in future scripts.

Fragile Balance
Synopsis: When Jack awakes one morning, he is a teenanger of fifteen years. No one believes that he is Colonel Jack O'Neill. After his DNA has been confirmed they try to find out what happened and how to reverse it.

My Opinion: This time I even looked on the clock. The first appearance of RDA was in the 31st minute of this 42 minute episode. On the other hand one has to get used to it since his screen time will drop considerably from the 8th season on.
But it was good to see that not all Asgard are good and perfect, that even they have black sheeps.

Orpheus
Synopsis: After T'ealc has been wounded on a mission, he begins to doubt himself. Since he has lost "Junior" and has begun to inject Tretonin he doesn't feel as a full-fledged Jaffa anymore. But then there's a new crisis arising, Bra'tac and Rya'c are prisoners in a work camp that one only leaves dead.

My Opinion: A very good episode to show that something has changed for Teal'c. A symbiote has been part of his body for about 90 years (Teal'c is approximately 104 years old at this time) and now this part is missing. I can imagine that this is hard to get used to. I also liked the scene where his son helped im through the crisis by letting Teal'c kill the other Jaffa with his bare hands.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2008, 05:18:56 PM »
Disc 2

Revisions
Synopsis: With the help of the M.A.L.P. SGC surveys a planet with a highly toxic atmosphere. But then they discover a dome under which people still live. There existance has been threatened for a while yet they know nothing about it.

My Opinion: The link device was    undoubtedly stolen from Seven of Nine but I still would like to have one of those. Permanently being online *dreaming*. Apart from that the episode was ok, but not exceptional.

Lifeboat
Synopsis: SG-1 discovers a crashed spaceship on which are several hundred people being kept in stasis. But then something extraordinary happens: The consciousnesses of 12 different people are put into Daniel's head - additionally to his own. The problem is to get them out again.

My Opinion: Once again a very good episode for Michael Shanks who could play the whole range from a small boy to the arrogant sovereign. I liked it a lot.

Enemy Mine
Synopsis: A mining expeditions finds a huge vein of Naquadah. The problem is: The local Unas tribes see this place as holy ground. Daniel tries to negotiate but he needs help - Chaka.

My Opinion: I liked the fact that Daniel's was right about the new Colonel. Jack would have listened to him (probably). I also liked the negotiations and the fact that the arrogance of the Humans nearly led to their undoing (similar to Spirits).

Space Race
Synopsis: Warrick, the Captain of the Sebrus, invites Sam to participate in a space race aboard his ship. But the race doesn't go as expected.

My Opinion: A pure fun episode based on the Pod Race in Star Wars I and probably on the Star Trek: Voyager episode Drive.
I also liked the regular product placements during the comments which reminded me of "Binford". ;)
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2008, 08:30:54 PM »
Disc 3

Avenger 2.0
Synopsis: Doctor Felger is afraid that he is about to be thrown out of the SGC. Thus he presents the (not yet fully developed) plan to infest the Stargate DHDs with a computer virus that would effectively render them useless. But this plan backfires on a grand scale and Ba'al takes advantage of the situation.

My Opinion: Unfortunately Coombs wasn't present in this episode but Felger was fun to watch again. I find it interesting that they still have new ideas regarding the abilities of the Stargate and the DHD. But they always keep it simple and don't start technobabbling. Still it gives them a means to tell interesting stories.

Birthright
Synopsis: SG-1 encounters a group of "Amazon" Jaffas who live in a secret place. From there they have to gather Goa'uld larvae on a regular basis to give it to their younger sisters. But SG-1 has a better idea.

My Opinion: Granted, I watched only half a season of Star Trek: Enterprise but I immediately liked Jolene Blalock (T'Pol in ENT) better in the role of the Jaffa leader than in her role as Vulcan. But that is also based on the fact that she could be wilder/more emotional. I also liked the conflict of whether they should use the Tretonin.

Evolution
Synopsis: A single super soldier slaughters the Jaffa of two minor Goa'ulds and kills one of the Goa'ulds. Bra'tac and Teal'c are able to stop him just to find out that it wasn't them who stopped him. Anubis has built these warriors with technology of the Ancients. The same technology was used to build the very first sarcophagus aeons ago. Daniel tries to find this device now: The mythological "Fountain of Youth".

My Opinion: It's quite fascinating how single characters can defy the laws of inertia - no matter how big/fast the moving object or the explosion, they stand their ground if they want to. ;) The introduction of the Kull warriors was nearly inevitable because even huge armies of Jaffa are no opposition to SG-1 anymore. But they didn't make the mistake to portray the Kull warriors as invincible. Sooner or later that would lead to the need of finding a way to defeat them (keyword: the Borg). But instead they showed that there is a way to defeat them - in principle.

Evolution, Part 2
Synopsis: Through the captured Kull warrior the Tok'ra are able to find the home planet of these new super warriors. Jacob/Selmak, Teal'c and Sam travel there to stop the production of any more of these. While they're off-world, Jack tries to free Daniel, who's being held captive by rebels in the border region of Honduras and Nicaragua.

My Opinion: Jack didn't have to have much luck with his comrades except for Kawalsky. That was before SG-1, of course. Back in A Matter of Time they also mentioned that he was left behind on a special op. Here they managed to portray his buddy very ambivalently. It wasn't clear what happend back then until they revealed it.
I also liked the flight from Tartarus and the innovative way to use a ring transporter.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2008, 03:11:47 PM »
A side remark: According to GateWorld they are going to release a recut version of the pilot of SG-1.

I honestly have no idea what the purpose of this is or how it will turn out but maybe they answer the question of how Apophis was able to open the Gate on Earth.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2008, 04:16:28 PM »
Disc 4

Grace
Synopsis: BC-303 (BC stands for Battle Cruiser) was finally salvaged after they transfered the hyperlight engine from an Al'kesh to it. But on the way home the Prometheus is attacked and when Sam re-awakens, she is alone on the ship.

My Opinion: Although they've used the known plot element that different characters portray different aspects of a person's personality, I liked this episode. Especially because the character traits of Sam were well presented.

Fallout
Synopsis: As it turns out, the Naqahdriah on Jonas's home planet is also not of natural origin. It was transformed out of normal Naquadah. By detonating the Naqahdriah bomb they've started the transformation of Naquadah into Naqahdriah in a very deep vein. If they can't stop it the Naqahdriah will explode and destroy the planet.

My Opinion: Unfortunately this is the only reunion with Jonas Quinn. And while I did not watch The Core, the plots sound similar. The relation between Jonas and Kianna was interesting, especially because - as Kianna pointed out - Jonas actually never met the host, only the Goa'uld.

Chimera
Synopsis: Daniel has been dreaming of the time he met Sarah (Osiris's host) for a couple of nights now. Sarah shows him a tablet of the Ancients and with this he might be able to find the Lost City. It is possible that his subconscious recalls knowledge from the time where he was ascended.

My Opinion: Regarding love relationships none of the four members of SG-1 had much luck. This time they made it look like another of these short romances. But luckily Pete did survive and with David DeLuise the third of the DeLuise brothers and the fourth DeLuise in total (Dom and his sons Peter, Michel and David) has made a guest appearance on the show. ;)
It was a bit hard to believe that Sam actually told Pete what she was doing when she hasn't even told this to her father until he became a Tok'ra. But that's no reason to not to like the episode.

Death Knell
Synopsis: The Alpha Site has been attacked by a Kull warrior and was nearly completely destroyed. Somehow the information about this place and the weapon they've developed there have gotten into Anubis's hands. The Kull warrior is in pursuit of Sam to destroy the weapon that poses a threat to him. In the meantime General Hammond tries to find out how Anubis could have known about the secret base.

My Opinion: "The Fellowship of the Ring has broken" - whoops, wrong universe. I noticed in this episode that they seem to have problems to find film locations. After the Alpha Site has become a huge crater the place looks exactly like the place where the Stargate on Chulak resides - just from another angle.
Apart from that I had the feeling that the break-up is more a disservice to the Tok'ra and the Jaffa than to the Humans, but they tried to keep it together. It was a bit sad.
Karsten