Author Topic: Nicole Kidman Birthday Mini-Thon  (Read 8132 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Nicole Kidman Birthday Mini-Thon
« on: June 20, 2011, 12:53:34 PM »
Nicole Kidman
Birthday Mini-Thon
Today is Nicole Kidman's 44th birthday. I have been a fan of her's for a while now. So I wanted to watch a few of her movies today. Though I know my collection of her movies are lacking quite a bit. And then several I have... I haven't had the chance to watch yet. Today I plan on watching 1 or 2 that I never seen before along with 1 or 2 that I have seen before.

Since this is such a short mini-marathon There is no way I will be able to get past 3 or 4 titles (that is if real life don't get in the way)... but I still welcome suggestions... especially on those I haven't seen yet. And recommendations for any of her movies I don't have yet would also be appreciated.

My Nicole Kidman Collection:
Titles in Bold are movies I never seen before.
- Batman Forever
- Bewitched
- Birth
- BMX Bandits
- Cold Mountain
- Dogville
- The Invasion
- Margot at the Wedding
- Moulin Rouge!
- The Others
- Panic Room (Uncredited small Part... won't watch for this marathon)
- Practical Magic
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Nicole Kidman Birthday Mini-Thon
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 03:55:18 PM »
     The Invasion: Widescreen (2007/United States)

Warner Home Video
Director:Oliver Hirschbiegel
Writing:David Kajganich (Screenwriter), Jack Finney (Original Material By)
Length:99 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Nicole Kidman as Carol Bennell
Daniel Craig as Ben Driscoll
Jeremy Northam as Tucker Kaufman
Jackson Bond as Oliver
Jeffrey Wright as Dr. Stephen Galeano
Veronica Cartwright as Wendy Lenk

Plot:
Something terrifying has come to Earth, something that attacks us while we sleep and turns us into soulless replicants. The clock is ticking as Washington, DC psychiatrist Carol Bennell (Nicole Kidman) and her colleague Ben Driscoll (Daniel Craig) embark on a heart-stopping journey into a nightmarish world where the only way to stay alive is to stay awake. No one can be trusted. No one is safe in producer Joel Silver's bold new take on Jack Finney's classic novel The Body Snatchers.

Don't fall asleep! The Invasion is here.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I always liked the story of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"... so I had to watch this one today. I have heard bad things about this movie from many people... which surprises me because I really enjoyed this movie. I thought they changed enough of it to make it interesting... but at the same time left enough of it the same to pay homage to the versions before it. I thought Nicole Kidman did a really good job... and she is as cute as ever in it.

I thought the way the alien spores were introduced in this movie was done well. I had mix feeling about them going with spores instead of pods in this one... but in the end decided it was one of the changes that helped distinguish it from the earlier versions. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't yet. I recommend it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 05:52:41 PM »
     Birth (2004/United States)

New Line Home Entertainment
Director:Jonathan Glazer
Writing:Jean-Claude Carrière (Writer), Milo Addica (Writer), Jonathan Glazer (Writer)
Length:100 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Nicole Kidman as Anna
Cameron Bright as Young Sean
Danny Huston as Joseph
Lauren Bacall as Eleanor
Alison Elliott as Laura
Arliss Howard as Bob

Plot:
A widow for ten years, Anna (Academy Award® winner Nicole Kidman†) is looking forward to getting remarried when a mysterious boy appears claiming to be her late husband reincarnated. The boy can recite the most intimate details of Anna's life. What follows is a spellbinding journey inside the very soul of a woman whose mind refuses to believe the impossible but whose heart knows the undeniable truth.

†2003 Best Actress, The Hours

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
While not a terrible movie. This one I really didn't care for nearly as much as I hoped to. I found the storyline to be a little too slow for my taste. And the story itself didn't feel that believable. I just don't think the main character would believe the kid what seemed to be so easily. And I must say... I did not like how short Nicole Kidman wore her hair in this movie. It looked terrible in my opinion. Over-all I would say it is just an average movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 07:04:51 PM »
but I still welcome suggestions... especially on those I haven't seen yet. And recommendations for any of her movies I don't have yet would also be appreciated.

- Moulin Rouge!

:tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 08:04:41 PM »
LOL... I really don't think I can handle that one today. :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 12:08:01 AM »
     Cold Mountain: Collector's Edition 2-Disc Set (2003/United States)

Miramax Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Director:Anthony Minghella
Writing:Anthony Minghella (Screenwriter), Charles Frazier (Original Material By)
Length:154 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Jude Law as Inman
Nicole Kidman as Ada Monroe
Renée Zellweger as Ruby Thewes
Eileen Atkins as Maddy
Brendan Gleeson as Stobrod Thewes
Philip Seymour Hoffman as Reverend Veasey

Plot:
Nicole Kidman (Academy Award® winner – Best Actress, The Hours, 2002) stars with Academy Award® winner Renée Zellweger (Best Supporting Actress, Cold Mountain, 2003) and Academy Award® nominee Jude Law (Best Actor, Cold Mountain). At the dawn of the Civil War, the men of Cold Mountain, North Carolina, rush to join the Confederate army. Ada (Kidman) has vowed to wait for Inman (Law), but as the war drags on and letters go unanswered, she must find the will to survive. At war's end, hearts will be dashed, dreams fulfilled and the strength of the human spirit tested...but not broken! Directed by Academy Award® winner Anthony Minghella (The English Patient, 1996).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Storyboard Comparisons
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I have been told by more then one person this is a good movie. So even though it is a bit long for my taste... I was looking forward to checking it out. While I did find it to be a rather long movie... it is a good one. I enjoyed it quite a bit. They combined the war storyline and love story together very well. Everyone in it did a great job. Though I would have liked to seen Donald Sutherland in it a little longer then what he was. I have always liked him as well. If you never seen this movie before... it is one I would definitely recommend. A very good movie that is beautifully filmed. I think if you give it a chance you will enjoy it as well.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 12:15:27 AM »
Well... that last movie was a bit extra long. So I think I will call this Nicole Kidman celebration to an end here. Was fun watching a few of her movies today though. :)
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 02:52:43 AM »
     The Invasion: Widescreen (2007/United States)

Warner Home Video
Director:Oliver Hirschbiegel
Writing:David Kajganich (Screenwriter), Jack Finney (Original Material By)
Length:99 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
(....)
My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Just watch it and I was pleasantly surprise as I expected another awfull remake. It's certainly not as good as the original 56 version or the 76 version, but it works for me... I like the "we win but we had lost" ending, I can't decide if I would prefer the won or the lost scenario (the two sure have their positives and negatives).

Certainly a strong in my case.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 03:42:36 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it Jimmy!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 03:53:13 AM »
I sure don't understand how some people think it have an happy ending :shrug:

.... but on the other hand most people don't understand why I think that The Myst have an happy ending :laugh:

LOL... I really don't think I can handle that one today. :P
Did you watch it since than Pete?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 03:59:50 AM »
 :laugh: No... not yet.  :bag:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 03:47:35 AM »
And are you or are you not the person who has said that if someone gives you a movie you'll watch it? ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 04:01:59 AM »
Which is why I said not YET. :P You have to remember... I get so many DVDs given to me... box fulls at a time... it will take me an awful long time to get to them all. And I must watch as the mood hits. If I force myself I will surely not enjoy it. Not sure how much chance that I will enjoy this one anyway though! :P
Pete