Author Topic: FantasyFilmFest 2012  (Read 4819 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
FantasyFilmFest 2012
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:00:50 PM »
Like every year I will write about the movies I watch at the yearly FantasyFilmFest.
This year I have chosen to buy tickets for four movies.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: FantasyFilmFest 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 10:05:58 PM »
God Bless America

This is the only movies of this year's FantasyFilmFest, that I heard of beforehand. And this because it was praised here in this forum. When I saw it on the schedule (and I still haven't come around buying the DVD which is on my wishlist), I thought I'd take the chance to watch it in theaters. I have to say, that your recommendations here were not ill-advised. It's a great movies. Also all of my friends who were with me highly enjoyed this movie. I will definitely add this one to my collection

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 10:01:47 PM »
noobz

I had the feeling, someone wanted to emulate Kevin Smith and didn't quite succeed. Or it just isn't my kind of humor anymore. The movie even stars Jason Mewes (Jay from the Kevin Smith movies). I had some laughs and enjoyed it somewhat, but it is not something I plan to add to my collection.

Rating:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:50:24 PM by Tom »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 10:39:22 PM »
I have to say, that your recommendations here were not ill-advised. It's a great movies. Also all of my friends who were with me highly enjoyed this movie. I will definitely add this one to my collection
Glad you liked it ;D
I'm always affraid that people will be scared if I praise a movie too much knowing that sometimes my tastes can be weird for many.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 03:41:51 PM »
Glad you liked it ;D
I'm always affraid that people will be scared if I praise a movie too much knowing that sometimes my tastes can be weird for many.
Not sure I mentioned this elsewhere, but on my first viewing I was slightly underwhelmed as the trailer sold it as something different. But looking back I really liked it for what it actually was, even though the message was delivered with a sledge hammer most of the time.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 08:53:37 PM »
Eva

I enjoyed this movie. But I found it too predictable to give it a higher rating. My friends liked it better than me though.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 08:57:58 PM »
There was another movie that I almost watched today also: "Ace Attorney"
It's a movie which sounds like I might enjoy it. But even after having dinner after the last movie, I still would have had to wait for another two hours for it to start. But as I have read that there is a German Blu-ray release planned for early next year, I thought I save myself the boring wait and spent the money for the ticket on the upcoming Blu-ray release.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 03:12:30 AM »
There was another movie that I almost watched today also: "Ace Attorney"
It's a movie based on a video game, normally not a good sign. But then this one is made by Miike, so things might be different here. The trailer looks rather cartoony, but close to the game.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
Vamps

My last movie of this year's FantasyFilmFest. And I really enjoyed it. I chose this movie because it has been ages since I saw Alicia Silverstone in a new movie. It's a nice vampire comedy. I like how the vamps here do not change their personality after they are changed. And they can easily live on animal blood if they chose so without much temptation. It's like their vegetarism.
There are also some nice supporting characters played by Malcolm McDowell, Wallace Shawn and Sigourney Weaver.
I plan to add this movie to my collection.

Rating: