Author Topic: Three Musketeers (2011)  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Three Musketeers (2011)
« on: November 13, 2011, 04:02:48 AM »
Three Musketeers (2011)

I wasn't really wanting to see the new Three Musketeers, but the trailer looked interesting enough that I went to see the movie when I had the chance. 

I've never read the book, but I have seen a few other movie versions.  This version, while having some things in common with the other versions, is still very different from them in some ways.  Things start off a little differently, showing Athos, Porthos, and Aramis working with Milady on a mission in Venice.  The way she betrays them is shown and then the movie jumps forward a year to when they are no longer Musketeers and D'artangan is heading to Paris to become a Musketeer.  After that, from what I remember, the plot is sort of like the other versions, with Richelieu plotting to cause trouble between France and England and the Musketeers getting involved to stop it.

The movie is entertaining, though it could have been better.  D'Artangan is very cocky and arrogant and harder to like.  The others are ok, though nothing that stands out.  Milady is very devious, and perhaps a bit more sexual..though it has been a long time since I saw the older movies.  At one point, she's wearing next to nothing and doing acrobatics to steal something.  The cast is all right, though nothing special.

There are flying airships in the movie, that while kind of cool looking, are very out of place.  A security system is shown that seems to be a primitive version of the laser sensors.  Those things are a bit odd and could turn some viewers off.  The sword fights look fine and add a bit of action.  The movie is in 3D in some theaters and I ended up seeing the 3D because of the timing of the shows.  The 3D really didn't add a thing.

Overall, the movie is entertaining, but it is a little weird.  This one isn't going to appeal to some people.

I did post a review at Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

The Three Musketeers (2011)

MEJHarrison

Re: Three Musketeers (2011)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 07:43:35 PM »
I went to see it a couple weeks back.  I thought it was mildly entertaining.  But I thought it had the potential to be much more and at the end it felt like a wasted opportunity.

On the other hand, I finally had the chance to visit the new Cinetopia they just built here in town.  Now THAT was something to write about!  ;D  We did the Living Room theater.  21+ only! Nice oversized, leather seating, leather ottomans to kick your feet up.  Food and drink are available and served by waiters.  And the seating is deep.  Can't think how else to describe it.  What I'm trying to say is the seat are arranged in such a way that you can't see anyone either behind or in front of you.  Just the people you're sharing a row of seats with.  And when it's a Thursday afternoon with a so-so movie, that equates to having the entire row to yourself (which gives the impression of having the entire theater to yourself).  Good times.  Unfortunately they're local to the area, so unless you come to Portland, you're out of luck.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 01:42:30 AM »
I thought it could have been better too.

That theater sounds really nice.  I've heard of some theaters in some big cities that sound like that.  Nothing like that near me.  A year or two ago there was a story in the local paper about a plan to put in a new theater downtown that served full meals..so far, nothing has come of that.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 08:41:42 PM »
That's too bad.  The tickets were a few dollars more, but totally worth it!

Their site sucks, but you can see where I went if you go to their photo page, then down below, scroll through the picture on the bottom (Cinetopia, Mill Plain 8, Vancouver WA [I visited the place on top, but the theater is identical]).  Picture #4 is an overhead view, but #6 really shows it well.  As you can see, you can't see anyone behind you in the theater (or in front of you).  It was really cool.  Especially since no one else sat in our row! ;D

And not having children or teens is a really nice benefit as well. :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:47:41 PM by Mark Harrison »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 03:10:09 AM »
Oh that looks really nice.  And the no kids or teens alone is worth the extra price.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 10:13:25 PM »
I believe the no kids policy just applies to the living room theaters.  But yeah, totally worth it!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 04:33:52 AM »
Something else to make the living room theaters even more appealing.