Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Inspired By TV Series  (Read 3528 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Inspired By TV Series
« on: November 10, 2011, 01:44:47 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Inspired By TV Series
This weekend (Friday thru Sunday) I thought I would watch some movies inspired by TV Series. Whether they are continuations of the series (Reunion Movies), or if they are a remake/reimaging of the series. Whether they originally aired on TV or at the Theater. Either way... they are all game this weekend. Going through my collection... I think I got them all... it seems that I have 56 Titles I can choose from. If there is any I find that I missed in the below list... they are fair game as well.

As always... if you see anything in the below list that you would like me to review... just post here and ask. Though no promises I will get to them... as always... it depends on how many requests I get, and whether or not I can get into the mood to watch it. And of course how much time I have to watch movies this weekend.

My List:
Titles in Bold are from my unwatched pile. Which means either I never seen the movie... or I haven't seen it since adding it to my collection
- 24: Redemption
- Alien Nation: Dark Horizon
- Alien Nation: Body and Soul
- Alien Nation: Millennium
- Alien Nation: The Enemy Within
- Alien Nation: The Udara Legacy
- The Batman vs. Dracula
- The Batman Superman Movie
- Batman: The Movie (Adam West)
- Bewitched
- Bionic Ever After
- Bionic Showdown
- The Brady 500
- Dead Like Me: Life After Death
- Death of the Incredible Hulk
- The Dukes of Hazzard
- The Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning
- The Dukes of Hazzard: Reunion!
- The Dukes of Hazzard: Hazzard in Hollywood
- The Facts of Life Goes to Paris
- The Fugitive
- Get Smart
- Get Smart, Again
- Get Smart's Bruce and Lloyd Out of Control
- Greatest American Heroine
- Growing Up Brady
- Hercules & Xena: The Battle for Mount Olympus
- I Love Lucy Movie
- I Spy
- Jackass: The Movie
- Jackass Number Two
- Knight Rider 2000
- Land of the Lost
- Lassie (2005)
- Lost in Space
- Masters of the Universe
- Miami Vice
- Mission: Impossible
- Mission: Impossible 2
- The Munsters' Revenge
- My Favorite Martian
- Rescue from Gilligan's Island
- Return of the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman
- Return to the Batcave: The Misadventurs of Adam and Burt
- S.W.A.T.
- Serenity
- The Simpsons Movie
- Stargate: The Ark of Truth
- Starsky & Hutch
- Tales from the Darkside: The Movie
- Thunderbirds Are Go
- Twilight Zone: The Movie
- Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
- A Very Brady Christmas
- The X-Files: Fight the Future
- The X-Files: I Want to Believe
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Inspired By TV Series
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:38:39 PM »
Stargate SG-1 fans... I have the first 2 seasons of Stargate SG-1... only watched season 1 so far. How confused will I be if I watched Ark of Truth?
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 03:33:11 PM »
     Growing Up Brady (2000/United States)

Director:Richard A. Colla
Writing:
Length:88 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Thematic Elements and Some Sensuality
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Adam Brody as Barry Williams
Kaley Cuoco as Maureen McCormick
Rebeccah Bush as Florence Henderson
Kaitlin Cullum as Eve Plumb
Ricky Ullman as Chris Knight
Carly Schroeder as Susan Olsen

Plot:
Remember them? The Dad, Mom, and six kids that were The Brady Bunch, whose clean-cut but chaotic lives and hilarious domestic mayhem made them the most popular TV sitcom family of the 1970s?

This fabulous new biopic, based on the memoirs of actor Barry Williams (Greg Brady), reveals the behind-the-scenes truth about what really happened: the legendary off-screen battles between Robert Reed (Mike Brady) and the show's real daddy, series creator Sherwood Schwartz; Barry's date with his screen Mom; his relationship with 'sister' Maureen McCormick (Marcia Brady) and the ultimate question - did they or didn't they? You'll laugh and cry along with them all as the meteoric rise to international TV stardom brings happiness and heartbreak in a moving story of what the rocky road to fame is really like.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is the second time I watched this movie. The first time when I originally bought the DVD last year. I originally bought this one more because I am a Kaley Cuoco fan then I am a Brady Bunch fan. It does seem I enjoy the series more now then I did when I was a kid... I know it is a very odd thing... I don't understand it myself. Maybe it is just a strong nostalgic thing.

Anyway... in this TV movie Kaley Cuoco (Penny on The Big Bang Theory) plays Maureen McCormick (Marcia Brady). This movie was made years ago so she does look a bit younger in this one. After all going by imdb... Kaley was only 15 at the time of making this movie. It was odd though... in some scenes I actually saw Maureen McCormick in her. But in other scenes all I could see  is Kaley Cuoco.

I was surprised that this movie didn't even touch on the trips they went on for the vacation episode... like the Grand Canyon and Hawaii. Over-all I found the movie to be both interesting and fun.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:10:58 PM »
     Knight Rider 2000 (1991/United States)

Universal Home Entertainment
Director:Alan J. Levi
Writing:Glen A. Larson (Original Characters By), Rob Hedden (Writer)
Length:95 min.
Rating:NR
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:French, Spanish

Stars:
David Hasselhoff as Michael Knight
Edward Mulhare as Devon Miles
Susan Norman as Officer Shawn McCormick
Carmen Argenziano as Russell Maddock

Plot:
Michael is recalled from retirement because crime has become rampant in Seattle. The current system of freezing convicts is not working. K.I.T.T. has been dismantled and the parts sold. Devon has managed to recover all but one chip which has been implanted in the head of a female cop whose brain was destroyed by a bullet. K.I.T.T. is installed in a box and used in Michael's 57 classic Chevy. He and the cop, who has a chip onher shoulder as well as in her head, are teamed. Meanwhile, the foundation is preparing the new car, named K.I.F.T. (Knight Industries Four Thousand)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Closed Captioned
  • Knight Rider 2000: The Movie Sequel

My Thoughts:
This reunion movie is on the bonus feature  disc of Knight Rider: Season 1 boxset (hence the cover above). I have heard a lot of people say they did not like this movie at all... I did though. I thought it was a good movie... though I do miss seeing the original K.I.T.T.

I read that this war originally supposed to have been the start of a new series. But it was never picked up by the studio. It's a shame... I would have watched the new series. This reminds me that I still need to finish the final season of Knight Rider. Some reason that is taking me forever... but then I really never was much of a fan of a convertible K.I.T.T.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 02:35:10 PM »
     Dead Like Me: Life After Death (2009/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, MGM Home Entertainment
Director:Stephen Herek
Writing:Bryan Fuller (Original Characters By), John Masius (Writer), Stephen Godchaux (Writer)
Length:87 min.
Rating:Rated R : Language, Some Sexual Content and Violence
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Ellen Muth as George Lass
Callum Blue as Mason
Sarah Wynter as Daisy
Jasmine Guy as Roxy
Britt McKillip as Reggie Lass
Christine Willes as Delores

Plot:
When George and her colleagues get a new boss whose focus is on moving souls quickly and enjoying life without consequences, the team begins to break the strict grim reaper rules. While her friends fall victim to their desires for money, success, and fame, George breaks another rule by revealing her true identity to her living family. As the reapers struggle with their roles on Earth, they each find that death can be just as complicated as life.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed watching this movie. Though there was both good and bad. I missed seeing Rube. And  while I though Sarah Wynters did a fine job as Daisy — I felt that she was not nearly as good as Laura Harris. First thing I see is they decide to go with comic book style intro to the movie as well as a few inserts within the movie. I am not sure why they decided to do this (is there a Dead Like Me comic?) but this really feels out of place compared to the series. I really disliked the new boss in the movie. Even though I am sure you were supposed to.

At the same time this movie did have the feel of the series. I really liked the whole George/Reggie storyline. This storyline was something that was begging to be told through-out the entire series. So I was glad to finally see it come. Mason was the same old Mason... which of course is a good thing. While Roxy did go out of character for part of this movie... it didn't last long. Over-all I would say if you are a fan of the series this is a must have movie to add to your Dead Like Me collection. Even though you can make sense of this movie without seeing the series first. If you haven't seen it I would recommend watching the series before you watch the movie. I really believe you would get more enjoyment out of the movie if you do.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »
    Bionic Ever After? (1994/United States)

Director:Steven Stafford
Writing:Michael Sloan (Screenwriter), Norman Morrill (Screenwriter), Michael Sloan (Story By), Martin Caidin (Original Material By)
Length:89 min.
Rating:Rated NR : Scenes of Mild Violence
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Lindsay Wagner as Jaime Sommers
Lee Majors as Steve Austin
Richard Anderson as Oscar Goldman
Farrah Forke as Kimberly Harmon
Martin E. Brooks as Rudy Wells
Anne Lockhart as Carolyn MacNamara

Plot:
After twenty years of being bionic together, Steve (Lee Majors) and Jaime (Lindsay Wagner) have finally decided to tie the knot. With only 24 hours to go until the big day, Jaime is struck down by a mystery virus which threatens not only her incredible powers but her very life.

Meanwhile in the Bahamas a US Embassy is held to ransom by rogue terrorist-for-hire Miles Kendrick and a crack commando team, men so ruthless that they are prepared to go nuclear if their demands are not met. Could it be that the two events are in some way connected?

With his own bionics beginning to break down, will Steve be in time to save millions of innocent lives - and his future bride?

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is the last of the Bionic reunion movies. And happens to be my least favorite. It once again uses the whole bionics possibly killing Jaime storyline that was used so many times before. To the point that I got tired of seeing that particular storyline. My copy is actually an old recording I had... so quality is definitely lacking. Even with this one being my least favorite I still enjoyed watching it again. It is always good to see the old characters back together again.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:30:30 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 04:34:06 PM »
     Alien Nation: Dark Horizon (1994/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Kenneth Johnson
Writing:Diane Frolov (Writer), Andrew Schneider (Writer), Rockne S. O'Bannon (Original Characters By)
Length:93 min.
Rating:NR
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Gary Graham as Matthew Sikes
Eric Pierpoint as George Francisco
Michele Scarabelli as Susan Francisco
Terri Treas as Cathy Frankel
Lauren Woodland as Emily Francisco
Sean Six as Buck Francisco

Plot:
The fate of the entire planet is on the line when Ahpossno, a ruthless Overseer, is sent to Earth to return the Tenctonese to slavery, and the casualties hit close to home for Francisco when a Purist group develops a virus designed to kill all Newcomers. Picking up right where the series left off, Dark Horizon provides the stunning answers to several key unanswered questions.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I really liked how they did this reunion movie... Mainly because it takes over right where the series left off. And that is something that this series needed as it left off with a huge cliffhanger when the series was canceled. I am so glad that all the Alien Nation movies came out on DVD as I have never seen the reunion movies before getting this set. So it was great for me to see how they tied everything up from the series. They really did a good job with this release. Audio/video quality is good... a nice selection of extras... though I would have liked to seen a trailer/TV spot for this one before I watched it... unfortunately there was none on the DVD.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 06:34:22 PM »
     The X-Files: Fight the Future (1998/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Rob Bowman
Writing:Chris Carter (Screenwriter), Chris Carter (Story By), Frank Spotnitz (Story By)
Length:123 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Some Intense Violence and Gore
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
David Duchovny as Agent Fox Mulder
Gillian Anderson as Agent Dana Scully
John Neville as The Well-Manicured Man
William B. Davis as The Cigarette-Smoking Man
Martin Landau as Kurtzweil
Mitch Pileggi as Assistant Director Walter Skinner

Plot:
Thirty-seven thousand years ago, a deadly secret was buried in a cave in Texas. Now the secret has been unleashed. And its discovery may mean the end of all humanity. "The plague to end all plagues..."

When a terrorist bomb destroys a building in Dallas, Texas, FBI Agents Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) are drawn into a dangerous conspiracy surpassing anything they've ever encountered. With the dubious assistance of a paranoid doctor (Academy Award®-winner Martin Landau), Mulder and Scully risk their careers and their lives to hunt down a deadly virus which may be extraterrestrial in origin - and could destroy all life on earth. Their pursuit of the truth pits them against the mysterious Syndicate, powerful men who will stop at nothing to keep their secrets safe, leading the agents from a cave in Texas, to the halls of the FBI, and finally to a secret installation in Antarctica which holds the greatest secrets of all.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned
  • THX

My Thoughts:
A great movie for an awesome TV Series! I have been a fan of the TV series since my brother first got me into it around the 5th season. Then I played catch-up with the dvds when they were first released... Back then the first season retailed for $150.00 and I bought them for $100 per season... Now ... looking back and seeing what season sets cost now it makes me sick... but I enjoyed the series so much that it is really ok! When this movie was released I got my copy right away... and think they did a great job with it... because not only would any X-Files fan love it... it was set up that you didn't have to watch the series to enjoy the movie... so I am sure the series got new fans because of the movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 09:17:59 PM »
I paid 172$ + taxes for each of the first 6 seasons... As you wrote TV serie were quite expensive back in the day, but for the X-Files even the price wasn't an obstacle for me.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 02:09:15 AM »
I got them when I found them at Walmart for ...$15 each I think it was.  Well most of them I got at Walmart for that price.  I got the first season or 2 somewhere else maybe..I'd have to check profiler to know for sure.