Author Topic: Jimmy's - 2011 Ooctober Horror Marathon  (Read 36203 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy's - 2011 Ooctober Horror Marathon
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2011, 03:04:15 PM »
I sent a mainstream blockbuster that Jimmy actually liked!  :yahoo:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2011, 05:57:14 PM »
The 2nd and 3rd are also good fun but Beckinsale isn't in th third. She is back for the fourth though which is out in 2012!

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2011, 12:15:18 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Underworld: Evolution (2006)

Genre: Horror
Director: Len Wiseman
Rating: R
Length: 1h46
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English / French
Subtitles: English /French

Stars:
Kate Beckinsale
Scott Speedman
Tony Curran
Derek Jacobi
Bill Nighy

Plot:
The saga continues as the battle rages on between the aristocratic Death Dealers (vampires) and the barbaric Lycans (werewolves). This film traces the beginning of the ancient feud between the two tribes as the beautiful vampire heroine Selene (Kate Beckinsale) discovers that she has been betrayed by her own kind and must seek revenge. The fast-paced, modern-day tale of deadly action, ruthless intrigue and forbidden love takes her into the battle to end all wars as the immortals must finally face their retribution.

My Thoughts:
As good as the original was in my book, but with a couple reservations (that aren't that important to begin with). Michael for a Vampire / Werewolf hybrid isn't as powerfull that everybody made him sound to be and the end who is a little deception (more on that in the spoiler tag). By the way the blue tinting color scheme after two films really start to grew up on me, this is a very original decision from whoever took it.

(click to show/hide)

Rating :
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:10:00 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2011, 12:29:09 AM »
BTW I'm probably more surprise that you are to have appreciated these two movies so much :shrug:
This is so not the type of cinema I have a good time watching usually :baffled:

Najemikon

« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2011, 12:38:00 AM »
Not exactly high class cinema, but they're fun. Principles go out the window when it actually works at least a bit...  ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2011, 01:20:47 AM »
Glad to see you enjoyed them Jimmy!  :thumbup: Do you have the third to watch as well?
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2011, 01:23:02 AM »
No, I have them because Kathy sent them to me. This isn't the kind of movie I got usually... We never know maybe I will like one of the two versions of Hulk that she gave me too :shrug:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2011, 01:26:13 AM »
Yeah... I understand that. I just thought that maybe she gave you all three. :) I hope you like at least one of the Hiulk movies. For me personally it is The Incredible Hulk that I liked most. But who knows you may prefer the other... or neither. Or hey... maybe both!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2011, 01:13:44 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Love Me Deadly (1973)

Director: Jacques Lacerte
Rating: R
Length: 1h35
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English
Subtitles: None

Stars:
Mary Charlotte Wilcox
Lyle Waggoner
Christopher Stone
Timothy Scott
Michael Pardue

Plot:
A haunted and disturbing horror film about a lady (Mary Wilcox) who "loves" the dead just a little bit too much. Lyle Waggoner (The Carol Burnett Show), Christopher Stone (The Howling) and Timothy Scott (The Farmer) co-star.

My Thoughts:
I felt this one is considered as an horror movie more for is subject than anything else. Not that we don't see some murder (common usually when we sleep with dead corpses a time come when we need fresher one) and even, for the lady, one that involve full frontal nudity by a guy. The story is a little bit slow by moment and a weirdest subplot (at least, I think) about the childhood memory of Lindsay and her father (don't worry this isn't incest related) who is explain at the end. Oh and at some point Lindsay married a man looking a lot like her father (so much that I thought he was the same actor, but no the husband is played by Lyle Waggoner and the father by Michael Pardue). Not too bad but less sleazy that I expected it to be.  

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2011, 09:20:08 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Red State (2011)

Genre: Suspense
Director: Kevin Smith
Rating: 18+
Length: 1h28
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Subtitles: None

Stars:
Michael Parks
John Goodman
Melissa Leo
Michael Angarano
Stephen Root

Plot:
Three horny high-school boys come across an online ad from an older woman looking for sex. Boys being boys, they hit the road to satisfy their erotic curiosity. But what begins as a fantasy takes a dark turn as they come face-to-face with a terrifying "holy" force with a fatal agenda.

My Thoughts:
Against not an horror film in the classic way, but for me the situation make it one. The movie is about a cult of religious nuts based on the Westboro Baptist Church  (I'm sure every one will agree that Fred Phelps is a nut case, even the most religious guys here). Contrary to what so many people whine about on the web this film isn't an anti-religious film or a political one (I can't understand why the Americans see politics everywhere, but this is just me). This is the kind of film where there are no good guys, seriously everybody is wrong in this. Great performance from Michael Parks as the Cult leader (in my book this is worthy of an Oscar nomination at least), John Goodman and Melissa Leo. The editing annoy me a little bit as I ain't a big fan of fast edit, but again some like that.

This film really deserve a try, too bad Kevin Smith don't do more film like that in place of so-so comedy (don't hit me, I like some of his comedy but the recipe is overworked).

Rating :

Najemikon

« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2011, 09:56:28 PM »
I've been hoping this film turned out at least ok, because of some of the things Smith has been doing that will piss off a lot in the industry, like distributing it himself. I also hope that he continues directing, because even from the trailer you can tell it's got some style. I didn't realise it was out already on DVD, even on your side of the pond.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2011, 10:02:21 PM »
It was released this week. I think the film was release theatrically and on dvd/Blu-ray/Digital Dowload the same day...

BTW one fact that annoyed me a lot but didn't mention it in my review because this had nothing to do with the film, the close caption didn't worked on my TV and my computer. Second time only that happen but it's not fun...

At least it's the case with the canadian dvd release, maybe it's different with the US release or the Blu-ray.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:12:28 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2011, 04:08:23 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: It (1990)

Director: Tommy Lee Wallace
Rating: PG
Length: 3h07
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Subtitles: English / French / Spanish

Stars:
Tim Reid
John Ritter
Richard Thomas
Annette O'Toole
Tim Curry

Plot:
IT can be anything. A fanged monster that won't stay on the movie screen. Something ominous lurking in the basement. No matter what your biggest fear is, no one knows It better than Stephen King.

My Thoughts:
When I watch a movie based on a Stephen King's book I always have the same problem. See I'm a big fan of him, I've read all his books and short stories and I can't review the films objectively.... so sorry about that. What we have here is typical TV movie (or mini series in this case), so this feel like a sterilized horror film. What I mean by that is that we see no real blood and everything objectionable is removed from the story. The acting is OK, but to be honest I prefer the child actors to the adult one. For me just an average films...

(click to show/hide)

Rating :
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 04:20:50 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2011, 04:13:36 AM »
Yes, being a TV movie made this one suffer a little. It worked better for Salem's Lot, I think. I'd like to see it again, but not sure I want to buy it...

Was there ever another version of this...?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2011, 04:19:35 AM »
Not that I know of, if you talk of It. Because if you talk of Salem's Lot two mini-serie were done (and a sequel to the original also).

Edit : Just saw on imdb that a remake is listed, but no info is available... Usually, I'm against remake sometimes with no good reasons but this time I can easilly say it will be worst. If a 3 hours teleserie wasn't able to do a correct representation of the book it's impossible that a movie with a lesser running time will be able to do it. It will be probably only an horror movie with a killer clown with the complete erasing of the lost of childhood innocence theme so present in the book (and a little bit less in the teleserie).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 04:54:12 AM by Jimmy »