Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 292355 times)

RossRoy

Re: RossRoy's Random Viewings
« Reply #360 on: October 12, 2009, 05:37:06 AM »
FRIDAY THE 13TH - PART 2

WHAT THEY SAY
Just when you thought it was safe to go back to camp... here's even more heart-pounding terror.

Five years after the horrible blood bath at Camp Crystal Lake, all that remains is the legend of Jason Voorhees and his demented mother, who had murdered seven camp counselors. At the nearby summer camp, the new counselors are unconcerned about the warnings to stay away from the infamous site. Carefree, the young people roam the area, not sensing the ominous lurking presence. One by one, they are attacked and brutally slaughtered. Suspense and screams abound in this compelling thriller.

MY THOUGHTS
Well, I think Part 2 us an improvement on the first. At least, this time around, they do show the killer moving around, stalking its prey. And I must say, Ginny makes a more believable victim than Alice did. I do hope they show some more creativity with the killings down the line, because if they stick with the machete hack'n'slash killings, it's getting old already.

RATING

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 12, 2009, 06:07:37 AM »
This is my favorite in the series, but I really like Amy Steel (sadly her career was more in tv figuration, but she's the only good thing in April Fool's Day an horror film that I don't recommend at all). The fact that it's the only film where Jason act like an human being and not like an unstopable killing machine make the movie better. Sadly the rest of the serie is mostly parody and eyes candy. Not that I've something against the last one when we talk of Judie Aronson, Debi Sue Voorhees, Darcy DeMoss, Elizabeth Kaitan or Erin Gray ;) 

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 12, 2009, 01:22:23 PM »
I feel exactly the same. How it even got to one sequel I will never understand, especially as the iconic form of Jason didn't appear until part 3...  :shrug:

Normally I avoid remakes, but I've got it at the back of my mind to give the new one a chance. It can't be much worse and you can rely on modern producers to cut to the chase quicker at least! :laugh:

:hysterical:

RossRoy

« Reply #363 on: October 14, 2009, 04:29:02 PM »
FRIDAY THE 13TH - PART 3

WHAT THEY SAY
A idyllic summer turns into a nightmare of unspeakable terror for yet another group of naïve counselors. Ignoring Camp Crystal Lake's bloody legacy, one by one they fall victim to the maniacal Jason who stalks them at every turn...

Friday The 13th, Part 3 will have you frozen with fear, as Jason finds his way into your living room!

MY THOUGHTS
Somehow, this Part 3 is my favorite so far. Sure, it pretty much mimics Part 1, but the fact Jason finally gets his iconic goalie mask just made me giddy. I'm a bit disappointed in how the mask enters the picture. I mean, it is so iconic nowadays, but back then, it was probably just a small joke to have Jason cover his face with the hockey mask. One positive that comes from the hockey mask is that they finally show Jason stalking more.

One gripe I'm having about the movies though, and I don't know if it is because they are cut to get a certain rating or if that's really how the director wanted it, but they don't show the kills enough. You'll barely see the knife, harpoon, machete and/or axe penetrate the victim, and then it'll cut to a wide angle shot or a shot of Jason walking away. Where's the blood? Where are the gruesome entrails spilling out? It's a horror movie damn it! Where's my gore? Because let's be honest, this movie isn't exactly oozing with suspense or even scares, it's all about the killings. But killings without gore?

I still found the movie entertaining though. I like that they showed Jason more than before, and I hope they keep showing him more and more. He's the star after all. And they are showing some variety with the kills!

RATING

snowcat

« Reply #364 on: October 14, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
I love the Friday the 13th movies, Well... not the later ones, but the original few are really great!

I was not a fan of the recent remake though.

RossRoy

« Reply #365 on: October 15, 2009, 05:07:30 AM »
FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE FINAL CHAPTER

WHAT THEY SAY
The body count continues in this vivid thriller, the fourth – but not final – story in the widely successful Friday The 13th series. Jason, Crystal Lake's least popular citizen, returns to wreak further havoc in Friday The 13th – The Final Chapter. After his revival in a hospital morgue, the hockey-masked murderer fixes his vengeful attention on the Jarvis family and a group of hitherto carefree teenagers. Young Tommy Jarvis is an aficionado of horror films with special talent for masks and make-up. Has the diabolical Jason finally met his match?

MY THOUGHTS
What's to say? Same old, same old. This is getting quite formulaic. Are they just reusing the same script over and over, just changing the actors and place? This fourth installment is no better or worse than its predecessor.

There's one thing though. I can't shake the feeling that they should just reduce the body count (it's at 13 in this one!) and take more time! I always find the last 15-20 minutes to be the best in each movie. And oh what a coincidence, it's always Jason chasing the final victim! Why don't they just reduce the body count, and have more toying by Jason with the victims? Just that simple thing, for me would make the movie that much better.

At least, this time around, the gore is amped up a bit. Which is good. I do think Friday the 13th has good entertainment value, I just wish they'd be a little more devious with the stalking and killing.

RATING

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 15, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
Corey Feldman is so annoying that even with the twins, Judie Aronson, Kimberly Beck and Crispin Glover this film is my least favorite in the serie. The stupid Jason VS Freddy is even better just because Corey Feldman isn't there...

Never understand why this kid was supposed to be talented. He is just an overacting annoying kid and teenager in everything he had done :thumbdown:      

Glad to see that he had fall even below than the reality TV has-been status. NSFBSK untalented idiot :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:10:33 AM by Jimmy »

Najemikon

« Reply #367 on: October 15, 2009, 08:24:09 AM »
Stand By Me? Goonies? Lost Boys? He was a good actor, Jimmy...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 15, 2009, 08:59:39 AM »
I didn't like The Goonies when it was released and not more when I've seen it on tv last year.
I like Stand by Me but certainly not because of him. Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix (he was an awesome actor) and Jerry O'Connell are the reasons to watch this great adaptation of Stephen King.
Lost Boys is a good film, but because of his part the film is only good and not great (when I watch an horror film I don't want to watch a kid movie)   

Najemikon

« Reply #369 on: October 15, 2009, 11:47:10 AM »
I didn't like The Goonies when it was released and not more when I've seen it on tv last year.
I like Stand by Me but certainly not because of him. Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix (he was an awesome actor) and Jerry O'Connell are the reasons to watch this great adaptation of Stephen King.
Lost Boys is a good film, but because of his part the film is only good and not great (when I watch an horror film I don't want to watch a kid movie)   

Lost Boys was brilliant because of The Frog Brothers! And I can't imagine Stand By Me without any of the kids. I think you're picking on him!  :tease:

RossRoy

« Reply #370 on: October 20, 2009, 04:50:28 AM »
Friday the 13th - Part V: A New Beginning

WHAT THEY SAY
Jason is back, hockey mask and all. And he's up to his old maniacal tricks in Friday The 13th Part V – A New Beginning.. This time he seems to have set his sights on the young patients at a secluded halfway house. And more than a few of his teen targets end up in half, in quarters... you name it, Jason does it.

This is the fifth scary installment in the Friday The 13th saga. If you liked the first four, and think you're up to getting back on Jason's bloody trail, you'll love Friday The 13th Part V – A New Beginning.

MY THOUGHTS
Well the series is starting to feel a bit redundant here. It also reeks of studio involvement/director sellout. I mean, it's worse than an Agatha Christie novel! Always the same plot, just a different setting!

They did try to mix things up a bit, but boy did it fall flat on its face and I can't even think of a single reasoning how they thought, even for a mere second, that it would work and that fans would still like it! (well, I guess fans did like it enough.. after all, there's still 5 movies (6 if you count the Freddy crossover, 7 with the remake) to go!

(click to show/hide)

I can pretty much sum up my feeling for this installment with a single onomatopoeia: meh!

Is it me who is different? I mean, you could do a "Friday the 13th" in 60 seconds very easily. Line up 10 teenagers, have them each say their name, then have random sex, because we all know you need boobs to sell a horror movie. Then have Jason kill each of them from behind, one after another, in rapid succession. Have the last person finally notice what's going on, pull a knife and drive it into Jason's head. Cut to mental institute, add quick dream sequence of imaginary Jason attacking. Voila! Friday the 13th in 60 seconds!

(click to show/hide)

But then, that's me being a bit harsh. It did keep me entertained. It's just gotten to a point where the movie is just too predictable. But I give it points for having an actress who actually bears the name Voorhees: Debi Sue Voorhees who plays Tina. And she's incredibly beautiful! And we get to see her naked!  :thumbup:
RATING

RossRoy

« Reply #371 on: October 26, 2009, 02:14:51 AM »
Friday the 13th - Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

WHAT THEY SAY
The Big Apple's in big trouble, as indestructible psycho-fiend Jason Voorhees hits the road to New York City -- and paints the town "red."

After a shocking return from beyond the grave, the diabolical Jason ships out aboard a teen filled "love boat" bound for New York, which he soon transforms into the ultimate voyage of the damned. Then one of his terrified victims escapes into the nightmarish maze of Manhattan's subways and sewers, only to confront Jason one final time.

MY THOUGHTS
The movie was fine. I liked it. Although with the title, I wish they'd have spent more time in NY. I was hoping to see Jason go haywire into NY. What I got is a very single minded killer, going after a very specific bunch of people. But, they're finally doing it. They're showing Jason more. I just wish they hadn't changed the Jason makeup. I wish they had made it a evolution of the previous one, instead to pretty much completely changing it.

RATING

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 26, 2009, 05:51:19 AM »
Where are the part 6 and 7 :whistle:

Those 2 are certainly better than Jason Vancouver Cruise Vacation :tease:

RossRoy

« Reply #373 on: October 26, 2009, 05:55:47 AM »
Hahahaha! Oops! I forgot to post the reviews for those.. I'll do them tomorrow, along with Jason Goes To Hell

RossRoy

« Reply #374 on: October 26, 2009, 06:50:46 AM »
Friday the 13th - Part VI: Jason Lives

WHAT THEY SAY
As a child, Tommy Jarvis did what many other died trying to do. He killed Jason Vorhees, the mass murderer who terrorized the residents of Crystal Lake. But now, years later, Tommy is tormented by the fear that maybe Jason isn't really dead.

So Tommy and a friend go to the cemetery to dig up Jason's grave. Unfortunately for Tommy, (and very unfortunately for his friend), instead of finding a rotting corpse, they discover a well rested Jason who comes back from the dead for another bloody rampage in Friday The 13th, Part VI: Jason Lives.

MY THOUGHTS
Now that's the Jason I know and heard so much about! Jason in full, supernatural, bad ass mode! I also like the self referential inside jokes. For some reason, I like this new, more powerful Jason. He's got a more menacing presence. They also show him more, with helps build tension. I found this installment pretty good.

RATING