Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 292442 times)

RossRoy

Re: My Random Viewings
« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2008, 02:47:12 AM »
The Incredible Hulk

Original Title: The Incredible Hulk
Year: 2008
Director: Louis Leterrier
Rating: PG-13
Length: 114 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Other, English:
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

What they say
Academy Award nominee Edward Norton stars as scientist Bruce Banner, a man who has been living in shadows, scouring the planet for an antidote to the unbridled force of rage within him: the Hulk. But when the military masterminds who dream of exploiting his powers force him back to civilization, he finds himself coming face to face with his most formidable foe: the Abomination - a nightmarish beast of pure aggression whose powers match the Hulk's own!

Also starring Liv Tyler, Oscar nominee Tim Roth, and Oscar winner William Hurt, The Incredible Hulk is "steeped in action spectacular special effects" (Claudia Puig, USA TODAY) and delivers a mind-blowing final showdown that can only be summed up with one word... INCREDIBLE!

My Thoughts
Now that's what the first Hulk movie should've been! The special effects are great. Edward Norton is great in the title role. This was a great superhero movie. And again, like the surprise in Iron Man, I hope the surprise in this does lead to something ;)

RossRoy

« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2008, 02:55:36 AM »
Pan's Labyrinth

Original Title: El Laberinto del fauno
Year: 2006
Director: Guillermo Del Toro
Rating: 14A
Length: 119 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: Spanish: DTS ES (Discrete), Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround EX, French: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo

What they say
From acclaimed director Guillermo Del Toro ('Blade II', 'Hellboy') comes a dark fantasy/thriller about a young girl who enters a mysterious labyrinth and finds herself at the center of a ferocious battle between Good and Evil. 

My Thoughts
It is not often that I watch a movie after hearing all the hype surrounding it and end up liking it as much as the hype hints to. I loved the film. The story is well told, and the contrast between the fantasy world and the real world is well played. The character design is awesome: we've all seen the Fauno on the posters, and I love its look. Guillermo Del Toro did a good job crafting a world beyond reality that is fantastic, at the same time as it is scary.

RossRoy

« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2008, 05:38:17 AM »
D.E.B.S.

Original Title: D.E.B.S.
Year: 2005
Director:
Rating: G
Length: 91 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, French

What they say
Sultry crime boss Lucy Diamond (Jordana Brewster, The Fast And The Furious) is back in the states and the D.E.B.S. - an elite team of paramilitary college co-ed super spies - are hot on her trail. But when their top agent, gorgeous Amy Bradshaw (Sara Foster, The Big Bounce), mysteriously disappears after coming face to face with the attractive young villainess, the D.E.B.S. begin a full-scale search for Lucy's secret lair, never suspecting that Amy may not want to be rescued after all, in this smart and sexy spy spoof. 

My Thoughts
Okay. Not at ALL what I expected when I bought that. Granted, didn't know a single thing about it when I bought it. Even after reading the back of the case, it never struck me. I thought I was getting a spoof of spy movies with five hot ladies in all the major roles. So some laughs and action, but with sexy ladies doing the moves. What did I get? This is basically a romantic comedy with a coating of spy parody! Talk about being taken completely off guard. I'm not sure what to think of it all. I mean, it did keep my interest, but it's not something I'm eager to view again. As a spy spoof, it's pretty weak. Not too many laughs, those that are there seem forced. As a romantic comedy, well it sort of works. There's good chemistry between the two actresses. And I like how the movie portrayed the lesbian relationship as being totally normal and casual. It's shown as just two people falling in love. The movie doesn't take itself seriously, and it's better for it. Each little part of it is not fully realized, and unfortunately for the movie, as a whole, it's not much better. It's the kind of movie where you get a bottle of Pepsi Cola, a big bowl of pop corn, turn your brain off, and enjoy.

I'll say one thing though: the girls look great! Especially Janet (Jill Ritchie - left most girl on the cover), and of course Lucy Diamond (Jordana Brewster - not shown on the cover).

RossRoy

« Reply #213 on: December 07, 2008, 06:18:28 AM »
The Big Bang Theory: Season 1

Original Title: The Big Bang Theory
Year: 2007
Director: 1. Pilot
Rating: R
Length: 355 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

What they say
Physicists Leonard and Sheldon understand everything from the inescapable gravitational pull of a black hole to the intricate structure of the atom. But take those atoms and assemble them into a woman, and their comprehension comes to a grinding halt. And when Penny, a woman will all those atoms in all the right places, moves in aross the hall, Leonard and Sheldon's universe begins to expand in ways they could never have imaged.

When series creators Chuck Lorre ('Two and a Half Men') and Bill Prady ('Dharma & Greg') combine equal parts science, superheroes and sex and add stars Johnny Galecki ('Roseanne') and Jim Parsons ('Judging Amy'), the result is an explosively funny comedy for the nerd in all of us.

My Thoughts
I know I was supposed to watch it at the same time as you guys, but, things got in the way and I never actually did get further than disc 1. But fear not, it was not because i didn't like it. Actually, I liked it so much that now that I decided to actually finish watching the season, I started over! From the beginning!

I must say, I love that show. I had never heard of it before seeing it mentioned here, and basically bought it blind. But I'm oh so very glad I did. I thought it was good from the first minute, to the very last.

Favourite character? Sheldon, easily. While I like all of them, Sheldon has that little something more. He's the star IMO. The funniest lines are his. His physical play matches the character perfectly. Jim Parsons really does an awesome job at playing Sheldon. I love the episode where he's sick - it is so funny!

I can only add this: You owe it to yourself to give this show a spin. You won't regret it.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #214 on: December 07, 2008, 08:55:40 AM »
I can only add this: You owe it to yourself to give this show a spin. You won't regret it.
I am in the IT business and thus by definition a bit nerdy. As you may know, in germnay everything foreign language-y is dubbed and most people have an aversion to watch anything that's not dubbed. But we (first I then my working buddies, too) have shown the show to several people (in english of course) and each and every one of them loved it from the start.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #215 on: December 07, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »
Favourite character? Sheldon, easily. While I like all of them, Sheldon has that little something more. He's the star IMO. The funniest lines are his. His physical play matches the character perfectly. Jim Parsons really does an awesome job at playing Sheldon. I love the episode where he's sick - it is so funny!

Sheldon is my favorite too.  He's always saying and doing things that crack me up.  And I think the second season is just as good - there have been some classic Sheldon moments.  The way he knocks on Penny's door still makes me laugh.  I'm always laughing when I watch this show..so much that I can't safely snack or really drink anything either.  I almost choked on potato chips when I started laughing - at Sheldon again.   :hysterical:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 09, 2008, 01:34:22 PM »
Oh great...yet another TV series I've got to buy now. :stars: I've got to stop reading these threads! :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #217 on: December 09, 2008, 10:15:13 PM »
Oh great...yet another TV series I've got to buy now. :stars: I've got to stop reading these threads! :laugh:

This one is so worth it though.

I was so ticked last night.  A new episode was scheduled for last night.  So I turn on CBS only to find that the CBS station I get had preemted the show to air some nonsense about digital television and how everything switches to digital in February.  This station has a history of doing this, though it is usually for something connected to Ohio States sports.  So...I was so ticked that I went to the station's website and send in an email - it took me like 5 minutes to find how to do it - and let them know that I was not happy. I figured that would be that and at least I vented to them.  I had a reply within the hour saying how the FCC requires all stations to air the informercial thing on the switch.  They looked at time slots and blah blah..basically they felt that doing it when The Big Bang Theory was on would be the least disruptive.  Then he told me that the show was airing at 2 am so I could record it.  I don't have a VCR or a DVR, so I wrote back and told him that.  Then he wrote back asking for my address, saying he is going to send me a DVD.  I don't know what DVD, but I sent back my address.  I'll take what he's sending.  And I think I'll write them again the next them they preempt a show for something.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #218 on: December 11, 2008, 03:08:11 AM »
Just a quick update.  I got the DVD today.  It has Monday's new episode on it.  So that works for me. :)

RossRoy

« Reply #219 on: December 15, 2008, 10:01:30 PM »
Smallville: Season 6

Original Title: Smallville
Year: 2006
Director: 1. Zod
Rating: NR
Length: 917 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.7:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1

What they say
They tried to be friends. But their chosen paths set them on a collision course. The CLARK KENT-LEX LUTHOR rivalry explodes into the fierce good-versus-evil battle fans have long expected in Season 6 of the spectacular series that reinterprets the characters and events of SUPERMAN mythology from its roots.

Adding to the rivalry: LANA LANG becomes Mrs. Luthor. Clark would be stunned to find out why she says 'yes'. But that’s not all that’s stunning. GREEN ARROW forms a SUPER HERO league. Will Clark join? PHANTOM ZONE escapees menace Earth. Can Clark stop them? LUTHORCORP expands its dark experiments. Will an awesome KRYPTONITE-powered army be the result? The answers - and thrills - are here!

My Thoughts
What a ride! I haven't felt this compelled to keep watching a TV series for a while (well, if you don't count the recently watch Big Bang Theory Season 1 hehe). Plenty of twists, Lana finally growing into an interesting character (not quite there yet, but it's improving). Jimmy Olsen enters Superman's World. Big reveals on some key characters. A big cliffhanger at the end of the season (although I hate those usually - except I already own S7 so it doesn't matter hehe). And of course, the episode "Justice" ;)

But I think what I like the most is that we're a bit past the whole «high school drama» feel of the previous seasons. It's still there at times, but it doesn't feel as forced as it used to.

Now, if only they would stop relying on Red Kryptonite to get CK with Lois. I know I know, it would break continuity with the Superman universe - but still, it's odd to see them interact and not really register.

It's a great season to a great show. 

Now.. on to Season 7!

RossRoy

« Reply #220 on: December 31, 2008, 04:40:21 AM »
Smallville: Season 7

Original Title: Smallville
Director: 1. Bizarro
Length: 830 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

What they say
There are two CLARK KENTs. One is the young man whose life in a tiny Kansas town sets him on destiny's path. The other is a BIZARRO show shares Clark's DNA but not his values. Only one of them can survive.

SUPERMAN mythology grows deeper and more powerful in an event-packed season that includes the arrival of Clark's cousin KARA/SUPERGIRL. Keep a low profile and master your powers, Clark says. Kara has other ideas. Plus: LANA LANG might prefer Bizarro to the real deal. LOIS LANE makes a career leap. CHLOE SULLIVAN finds that balancing a meteor power with a personal life isn't easy. And LEX LUTHOR's power-lust has a new fixation - Kara. New characters and complications. New secrets and lore. New thrills and special effects. Power up to Season 7!

My thoughts
Again, a good season for this show. A lot happens with the arrival of new characters. There's also the demise of a major character. Something really big happens at the end of the season. Unfortunately, they insist on developing the Lana/Clark relationship - even though we all know how that ends. We even get to see Clark with his ever sexy black-rim glasses!  :laugh:

All in all - a good season. Not the best, but they are taking the show in a somewhat new direction, and it's all good.

RossRoy

« Reply #221 on: December 31, 2008, 04:54:58 AM »
Lost: The Complete Fourth Season

Original Title: Lost: The Complete Fourth Season
Director:
Rating: TV-14
Length: 604 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Mono

What they say
Immerse yourself in the boldest show on television with every mysterious twist and turn of LOST's addivtive Fourth Season. Exploding with excitement and never-before-seen extras, LOST reaches new heights on DVD.

More than three months after their fateful crash, the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815 will discover that the only thing more dangerous than the island might be the people who have come to rescue them.

Dive deep into this captivating 6-disc DVD box set, complete with original flashbacks, mind-bending flash-forwards and an astonishing world of exclusive bonus features. Experience one of the most groundbreaking shows in television history and "let LOST remind you of how spectacular scripted network programming can be," says USA Today.

My thoughts
And the plot thickens yet again. Boy the mysteries and twists just keep on coming. They even bring back stuff from Season 1 and create new mysteries around them!

So far, the story of Lost has been mostly told by mixing the current events with flashbacks to flesh out the characters and explain/solve some mysteries. They have a new device this season: flashforwards! And I love them! It's obvious that it's a new toy for the writers - they make EXTENSIVE use of them. But it's all good. I loved it.

Again, as usual, even though the season is relatively short - there are only 13 episodes (well, 14 if count the double length finale as 2) - there is still a lot going on and many more intertwining of story and mysteries that just keep on getting thicker and thicker.

And the season ends with a bang - and season 5 has just shot right up on my wishlist and will be bought first thing when it comes out. I can't wait to see how it all plays out and how every little bits and pieces fit together. Because characters you thought were "bad" are turning to be not so bad after all. And some who you thought as "good" - might not be as good as originally thought.

I'm really excited about it all. Since the show has already been confirmed for a total of 6 seasons - ending in May 2010 - it's a little sad to know it will all end then, but at the same time, that means the the production team can really map out all the events and conclude it in a way that will answer all questions.

I can't wait!

RossRoy

« Reply #222 on: December 31, 2008, 05:01:36 AM »
Heroes: Season 2

Original Title: Heroes
Director: 1. Four Months Later...
Length: 481 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround

What they say
Rejoin the epic and suspenseful phenomenon as Heroes: Season 2 arrives on DVD! Experience all the new and exciting twists of the astonishing series in this 4-disc set that includes every gripping Season 2 episode. Plus, see what could have been with exclusive bonus features that reveal the untold stories that never aired and an alternate ending to the season finale, where the fate of humanity takes an ominous turn when Peter fails to catch the vial containing the deadly virus.

My Thoughts
Meh.

After a great first season, I thought season 2 was a disappointment. Don't get me wrong - it still entertains, but the magic of the first season is lost here. It doesn't help either that two major characters have lost all powers in one case, and forgot they even have them in the second. Most of the season, another of the heroes is doing whatever in the past. Another one is ordered by her father to not use her powers. And then, you have Veronica Mars on steroids appearing just like that, out of nowhere. I mean... What?

Yet, despite all that, the ending the pay off was nice. Matt gets a new power. The heroes end up facing each other (to a certain extent). And it ends with a very little sneak peek scene at Volume 3 that shows promise.

So I haven't given up hope on Heroes - I'm just disappointed that they created something great with Season 1 - and almost shot it to pieces with Season 2 (or Volume 2 - as it seems they like to call them). Let's hope they can get the whole thing back on track for Season 3 (Volume 3)

<-- because of the ending

RossRoy

« Reply #223 on: December 31, 2008, 05:12:12 AM »
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Original Title: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Director: Joss Whedon
Length: 42 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, German, Japanese, Spanish

What they say
Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother ) stars as Billy, A.K.A. Dr. HOrrible, a budding super-villain whose plans for world domination contiually go awry. His two goals: getting accepted into the Evil League of Evil, and working up the guts to speak to his laundromat crush Penny, played by Felicia Day (The Guild.) The only thing standing in his way is Captain Hammer, Billy's superhero arch-nemesis play by Nathan Fillion (Firefly ). With one big score, Billy could get into the E.L.E. and earn the respect of Penny, but only if he can keep her away from the dashing Captain Hammer...

My Thoughts
Dr. Horrible Sing-Along Blog: or how to pass time when you can't officially make money doing what you do - writing (this was produced during the writer's strike, for those who didn't know).

This is a labour of love - and it shows. And as opposed to when this "labour of love" moniker is applied to low quality stuff to give them a quality they may lack - in this case, it's different. You have a bunch of very talented people who gave it their all. It's only 42 minutes long. But it's 42 great minutes. From the first second to the last.

Neil Patrick Harris IS Dr. Horrible and he nails the role. He is marvelous as a misunderstood supervillain who is not entirely villainous.
Nathan Fillion also nails the part of Captain Hammer. The whole blown out of proportion ego. The "I'm better than you" attitude.
Even Felicia Day as Penny is great although unfortunately, she doesn't have a big part. Which kinda odd considering Joss Whedon wrote that.

But all this wouldn't work without good music (it's a musical after all) - and rest assured, the music is good. Joss and Jed deliver. The songs are catchy. Sarcastic when they need to be, funny and emotional. Neil, Nathan and Felicia did a good job delivering their songs.

This is a well invested 42 minutes. And like I said in another thread here: it seems to just get better with age.

And I have a plea to whoever could make it happen: SEQUEL!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #224 on: December 31, 2008, 08:29:54 AM »
I read somewhere that a sequel isn't out of the question.  Whedon wasn't going to give any specifics, but evidently they are talking about it and coming up with ideas.  I hope that happens...I would so love to see more of this.

Oh..I also read that Whedon was thinking of doing new Firefly stuff and releasing it on the web like he did with this..and supposedly Nathan Fillion is willing to do it.  I would so love if that happened...I'd take more Firefly anyway I could get it.