Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 292480 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: My Random Viewings
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2008, 06:35:49 AM »
I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies, but now I get again/even more the feeling that I should... (A friend of mine owns the DVD, but it may lack English subtitles...) Good review! (especially about animation actually being more efficient for this kind of film than live-action) :thumbup:

BTW, somehow the Overview and your Toughts are headlines "What they say" ;)

RossRoy

« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2008, 12:50:48 PM »
BTW, somehow the Overview and your Toughts are headlines "What they say" ;)

The joys of cut-n-paste. It's fixed now!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2008, 06:12:49 PM »
I think I have to buy this movie at last. I know that it is supposed to be great movie and recommended by all who have seen it. The only reason I haven't so far is, that I fear that it will bring you down watching it. I generally prefer light-hearted movies.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2008, 06:23:39 PM »
One question regarding the "Grave of the Fireflies" release you have:
Is the bonus disc worthwile? Or is it enough to buy the single-disc release?

RossRoy

« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
One question regarding the "Grave of the Fireflies" release you have:
Is the bonus disc worthwile? Or is it enough to buy the single-disc release?

Well, I'm not much of an extras guy, even though I usually do buy the tricked out releases. The only extra I've watched is the Ebert interview, and not all of it. So honestly, I can't really help you.

Najemikon

« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2008, 01:28:54 AM »
Grave of the Fireflies

Honestly, words totally fail me. Not that I really know what to say usually, but in this case, even if I was good with words, I wouldn't know what to say. But I'll try anyway.

I've rarely, if ever, been moved that much by a movie. You can't help but feel for these kids. All that they had to go through after losing their mother in the bombing. From their aunt who simply doesn't care, all the way to a farmer who won't spare even a spoonful of rice. You see these kids persevere, trying to make the best of what they have. But when it happens (if you've seen the movie, you know what I'm talking about), it just hits you. And then you start to think, that even though this is a work of fiction, you can't help but think that it may have been like that for some child. And not just in Japan during World War II, but in any war, anywhere on the planet, at any given time. We've all seen wars in movie or on the news, but it always feels so surreal, almost fake. But this movie, manages to bring it closer to home. It actually makes you realise how hard it must be.

I've had this film sat on my shelf for a month or so, and your review compelled me to finally watch it. Oh my. I can only echo those sentiments. It is a beautiful and profound experience, all the more so for never giving a face to the enemy. This is the consequence of war, where all the politics, reasons and blame have no point. In some ways it reminded me of the mood in the early parts of Empire of the Sun, but it continues to follow that rather simple situation, and it is all the more powerful and memorable for it.

I agree with your spoiler section, and I think the animation proved its worth throughout. All war films, possibly all period dramas, are crippled by having to maintain an air of realism, that in the end is self-defeating. Once you accept the animation, all that is left is the story. Beyond that though, the narrative is more interesting than a typical war film anyway.

Tom, I know you worry about it being a downer. There's no escaping the fact that it is a bleak story. It has to be. But because it's about kids trying to be kids, and because it's animation, it sort of creates a bubble within that larger, harder story. You have to see it to understand it, but believe me, the experience as a whole is not a downer.

(click to show/hide)

Also, I think the two disc version is worth getting. The interview with the director is very interesting, and Roger Ebert expresses some of the same points we have here, and also has some interesting comments to make about Anime versus western. There are loads of storyboards too.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 01:30:44 AM by Najemikon »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2008, 03:09:54 AM »
I think that's the first time that I read a review for a movie who is not for a genre that I really care for usually that make me interested in it. Great review Sebastien and because of it and the additional comment by Jon I've put it on my wishlist and will order it next month.

But don't expect that I will start watching cartoon with robot, schoolgirls and others cute animals  :laugh:

RossRoy

« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2008, 03:57:22 AM »
But don't expect that I will start watching cartoon with robot, schoolgirls and others cute animals  :laugh:

Grave of the Fireflies is much more than what most consider common anime. Yes, it is anime in style, but it's serious stuff. Like Roger Ebert is quoted as saying on the box "It belongs on any list of the greatest war films ever made". It's really that powerful.

Don't worry, you will not find any of the "typical" anime quirkyness: no face faults, no weirdos. Just a pure story of love between siblings and the hardship they have to endure.

Damn! I'm almost in tears just writing and thinking about it now!

RossRoy

« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2008, 06:14:01 AM »
National Treasure

Original Title: National Treasure
Year: 2004
Director: Jon Turteltaub
Rating: PG
Length: 131 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: French, Spanish, Trivia

What they say
From Jerry Bruckheimer, producer of 'Pirates of the Caribbean' and Jon Turtletaub, director of 'Phenomenon', comes 'National Treasure'. It's the thrilling, edge-of-your-seat adventure starring Academy Award® winner Nicolas Cage as Benjamin Franklin Gates. Ever since he was a boy, Gates has been obsessed with finding the legendary Knights Templar Treasure, the greatest fortune known to man. As Gates tries to find and decipher ancient riddles that will lead him to it, he's dogged by a ruthless enemy (Sean Bean, 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy) who wants the riches for himself. Now in a race against time, Gates must steal one of America's most sacred and guarded documents - the Declaration of Independence - or let it, and a key clue to the mystery, fall into dangerous hands. Heart-pounding chases, close calls and the FBI turn Gates' quest into a high-stakes crime caper and the most exciting treasure hunt you've ever experienced.

My Thoughts
After the day I just had, I needed something light and easy that might manage to keep me awake (I had a rough day at work). National Treasure fits the bill. You can't get much easier to follow than this, there's some decent action, although it didn't manage to really keep me awake, I did doze off at some point. But just to show how easy it is to follow, I didn't even have to rewind to actually know what was going on! Basically a nice fun little trip.

RossRoy

« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2008, 01:44:34 PM »
A Scanner Darkly

Original Title: A Scanner Darkly
Year: 2006
Director: Richard Linklater
Rating: R
Length: 100 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

What they say
'What does a scanner see? Into the head? Into the heart?' From the novel by Philip K. Dick - the sci-fi legend whose works-to-film include 'Blade Runner', 'Total Recall' and 'Minority Report' - comes 'A Scanner Darkly', brought to the screen by filmmaker Richard Linklater with an edgy graphic-novel look.

The time: just beyond now. The place: suburbia. The story: a twisted, funny tale of people hooked on Substance D. And of a government that cheerfully destroys its citizens - their rights, their relationships - in order to save them. Robert Downey Jr., Woody Harrelson, Winona Ryder and Rory Cochrane play strung-out friends terrified of each other and of spies, Keanu Reeves plays a spy who's also one of the friends...until his two personalities begin to split. Enjoy the paranoia. Nobody's watching you. Really.

My Thoughts
That was ... odd. It may be because I dozed off at the end, in the last 20 minutes or so, but I'm completely lost about this. The whole movie feels like a drug trip ... which is probably exactly what they were trying to achieve though! But the ending.. Well I can't comment on it, as I have no idea what happened! One minute, thing were one way ... I doze off for a minute or two ... and then everything is changed! So I guess I'll have to watch it again, eventually, to actually make some sense of it all.

One thing though the animation style is really odd, but interesting. It's actually quite weird to see it all as animated, yet still be able to recognize each actor. But the result is a mixed bag, but might be completely intentional. Sometimes, it'll look almost real, and sometimes, the animated effect will be too strong and you lose details. There's also something really weird going on with the perspective and relative position of objects during pans and zooms. But still, it was nice! Here's an example of what it looks like:

Robert Downey Jr. in this is marvelous. I loved his performance. He is great in the insanity that is Substance D. Rory Cochrane is great too in his portrayal of a close to break down addict.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 01:48:12 PM by RossRoy »

Najemikon

« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2008, 12:26:38 AM »
I thought A Scanner Darkly was great. Looking forward to seeing it again because you're right, it can be disorientating. I loved the story overall though and it gave the film real substance.

RossRoy

« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2008, 05:33:35 PM »
Charmed: Season 7

Original Title: Charmed
Year: 2004
Director: 1. A Call to Arms
Rating: NR
Length: 932 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, French: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

What they say
Follow the Charmed Ones, Phoebe (Alyssa Milano), Piper (Holly Marie Combs) and Paige (Rose McGowan), on their suspenseful adventures of the supernatural! In 'Charmed: The Complete Seventh Season', the magical Halliwell sisters are called to travel back in time, protect the innocents from the deadly demon Sarpedon, and keep Zankou from claiming the powerful Book of Shadows. Join the Charmed Ones in the ultimate battle of impending doom when the almighty Avatars from ancient Egypt plot to vanquish anyone who threatens their Utopian transformation of the world! 'Charmed: The Complete Seventh Season' is filled with pure excitement, romance and mystical thrills. The Power of Three has never been better!

My Thoughts
As you may have noticed, I didn't post individual reviews of each episodes. For one thing, they are readily available in plenty of other places, and I found it got really tiresome to keep saying "this was good", "this was bad" trying to not spoil anything for someone who may want to jump in and watch the show himself.

So, what did I think of Season 7? It was awesome! I loved every minute of it. The story flowed well, the adversaries were well thought out and well cast (Oded Fehr as Zankou is awesome!), the Avatars have this serene all powerful look and mannerism.

I absolutely loved all three episodes with Billy Zane in them as an ex-demon turned human. He is wonderful in those.

The finale was awesome, though it felt more like a show finale, than a season finale. I guess they were planning to end ut there, after seven years. Wonder how they'll dig themselves out of this one for Season 8! ;)

One thing though, I'm not sure I like what they did with Leo.. It fits with the story, and makes sense.. But he lost something as a character in the process.

I'm already looking forward to Season 8!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2008, 06:07:46 PM »
From my memory at least... they were not sure if there would be a season 8 or not... they wanted to do one more season... but the studio didn't say yes or no at that point. So they opted to do a story that would work either as a season finale or a series finale... and give some closure either way.

I am glad it worked out the way they did... since they got to do another season as they wanted to... and was able to do a series finale the way they wanted to... one that was much more satisfying as a series finale I must add.  :thumbup:
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2008, 07:35:36 PM »
Charmed: Season 8

Original Title: Charmed
Year: 2005
Director:
Rating: NR
Length: 918 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, French: Dolby Digital Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

What they say
Get ready for the ultimate ride in supernatural entertainment! In 'Charmed': The Final Season, the magical Halliwell sisters Phoebe (Alyssa Milano), Piper (Holly Marie Combs) and Paige (Rose McGowan) face their biggest challenges in love, life and death as they try one last time to fulfill their destiny! Join them in their fight to protect Leo from the Angel of Death, and witness their devastating battle when demons conspire to take over the Underworld! 'Charmed': The Final Season's 6 discs deliver 22 episodes of nonstop thrills, suspense and a climactic finale! The 'Charmed' Ones are ready. Are you?

My Thoughts
This is it Ladies and Gentlemen, the final season of Charmed. And boy, what a final season!

They managed to dig themselves out of the situation they created in the season 7 finale in a nice way: introduce a new witch. At first, I wasn't too find of her. I found her annoying. But, as the episodes went by she grew on me, and I started liking her more and more.

The season itself was a bit of a bumpy ride. I didn't find that the story flowed as well as it did in, say, Season 7. That is, until the pieces fall into place and the ultimate season vilain is revealed. Then it picks up and culminates in one of the better series finale I've ever seen.

There are 2 things though that I didn't like about the finale, one of which is common knowledge: Where was Prue? I know, contracts and all and whatever else happened behind the curtains, but still.

Also,
(click to show/hide)

Final season rating:
Series finale rating:

Charmed as a whole is a great series. It'll be weird when I go back to revisit it, and see the girls all wimpy again, barely able to control their powers after seeing them so powerful by the end of the series. There's a ongoing evolution about the girls that make the series so appealing. Every new season, something new happens to make them grow, get stronger. The hardships they faced, the losses, the joys. Charmed is great series, and if you like fantasy stuff, you should really like this. :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2008, 07:49:45 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the series so much!  :thumbup:

You bring up something here I never even though about....
Also,
(click to show/hide)

Since I never thought about it before now... I guess it never really bothered me too much. But I do whole heartedly agree about Prue... I can understand the reasoning surrounding it... but that don't make it seem any more right.
Final season rating:
Series finale rating:

Charmed as a whole is a great series. It'll be weird when I go back to revisit it, and see the girls all wimpy again, barely able to control their powers after seeing them so powerful by the end of the series. There's a ongoing evolution about the girls that make the series so appealing. Every new season, something new happens to make them grow, get stronger. The hardships they faced, the losses, the joys. Charmed is great series, and if you like fantasy stuff, you should really like this. :thumbup:

This is definitely one of my all time favorite series finales. I really prefer it over the season 7 finale... that could have been our series finale.

I always thought I was one of the few that liked this series all the way to the end... so I am glad to see someone else enjoying the entire series.  :yahoo:
Pete