Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 292375 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: My Random Viewings
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2008, 09:02:29 PM »
Isn't that Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia Chase in Buffy/Angel)?
Yes, maybe I will have to check those serie too  :hmmmm:
Not that I was interested in them, but if she have an important role  :whistle:

Cordelia is a "major minor" character in Buffy seasons 1 to 3 and belongs to the main cast of Angel seasons 1 to 4

And if you like Charmed you can hardly go wrong with Buffy.

8 edits for two simple sentences, I should stop writing for today.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:04:52 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2008, 09:18:08 PM »
Cordelia is a "major minor" character in Buffy seasons 1 to 3 and belongs to the main cast of Angel seasons 1 to 4 (...)
Just place an order for the first season of Angel. Don't know if I will like that, but if not it's not the end of the world and if yes I will have discover another good series on dvd.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2008, 09:22:11 PM »
Pleas keep in mind that Angel is a spin-off of Buffy and the first season of Angel runs parallel to Buffy's fourth season.

Angel was a major character on Buffy seasons 1 to 3.

While I think Angel is understandable without knowing Buffy you should expect to not understand every subtext.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Najemikon

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2008, 09:27:18 PM »
I definitely recommend Buffy first, Jimmy. The Cordelia character is defined there. She's responsible for some of my favourite lines:

"Well, evil just compounds evil, doesn't it? First, I'm sentenced to a computer tutorial on Saturday. Now I have to read some computer book. There are books on computers? Isn't the point of computers to replace books?"

"Can you help me with a ticket? It's totally bogus. It was a one-way street. I was going one way!"

:laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
And if I've watched the movie will it be ok  :laugh:
I'm not serious with that...

With the order of Angel I've reach my budget for april, but I will check for Buffy too in may.

Najemikon

« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2008, 09:38:30 PM »
And if I've watched the movie will it be ok  :laugh:
I'm not serious with that...

:suicide:

:P

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2008, 09:53:41 PM »
Cordelia is a "major minor" character in Buffy seasons 1 to 3 and belongs to the main cast of Angel seasons 1 to 4 (...)
Just place an order for the first season of Angel. Don't know if I will like that, but if not it's not the end of the world and if yes I will have discover another good series on dvd.

another remark: I don't know where you ordered nor do I know shipping costs or exchange rates, but I recently received an ad from Amzon UK regarding Buffy and Angel:

for example: season 1 for 10 pounds: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0009YVD2Q
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:56:37 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Najemikon

« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2008, 09:58:14 PM »
That is an excellent price, Karsten. Anyone not on the Buffy band-wagon, this is a great time to board!

Today I bought The Guardian newspaper because they were giving away DVDs of the original Godzilla. In keeping with such notions, one of their supplements contained the following article. I thought I'd post it here because I think it's in keeping with the mood of your thread, Jimmy:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2008, 10:05:12 PM »
Ordered on Amazon.ca marketplace for 29.95$ (the amazon price is 71.98$). This is not the Slim set who are less costly, but unavalaible on amazon.ca. Because of the border cost, I prefer to order the television set from Canadian sellers (tv dvd are always over our stupid 20$ limit).

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2008, 10:37:27 PM »
Good article Jon. I would never compare MTV Films with American International Picture even if I've appreciated some of their film (Varsity Blues and Æon Flux) because none of their production will be remember in 10 years. If you watch only mainstream film maybe the 3 actors name are known, but I will never say that Beverly Garland, Dick Miller, Barboura Morris or Hazel Court (who had died this week  :() are "never-weres" actors. Most of the time you have a fun time when you watch a movie made by Roger Corman, even his version of the Fantastic Four who was never release (I have it and I find it more enjoyable than the recent FF movies).

P.S : this is not my thread, I've highjacked the review thread of Sebastien  :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:39:02 PM by AESP_pres »

RossRoy

« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2008, 10:43:10 PM »
your thread, Jimmy:

:redcard:

As Jimmy already pointed out, this is my thread! Not that I mind that it got sidetracked. Just shows how "appreciated" the reviews are  :weep:

RossRoy

« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2008, 10:46:07 PM »

:drooling: :drooling: :drooling:

Must ... resist ... ... Marathon ... not ... over ... yet ...

Oh, and like the others have said, both Buffy and Angel have my vote. You can't go wrong with them (or Firefly, for that matter).

Najemikon

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2008, 10:47:44 PM »
 :-[ :bag:
your thread, Jimmy:

:redcard:

As Jimmy already pointed out, this is my thread! Not that I mind that it got sidetracked. Just shows how "appreciated" the reviews are  :weep:

You know, I think I'm lost! I thought I was in Jimmy's "Little Seen Movie Marathon"... Very sorry!

RossRoy

« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2008, 03:23:11 AM »
Good Morning, Vietnam

Original Title: Good Morning, Vietnam
Year: 1988
Director: Barry Levinson
Rating: 14
Length: 121 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English

What they say
When the U.S. Army engages irreverent, nonconformist radio deejay Adrian Cronauer, it unleashed a secret, if unpredictable, weapon: laughter. Academy Award® winner Robin Williams (Best Supporting Actor, 'Good Will Hunting', 1997) shakes up 1965 Saigon in the role that garnered him his very first Oscar® nomination.

Imported by the Military to host an early a.m. radio show, Cronauer (Williams) blasts the formerly serene, sanitized airwaves with a constant barrage of rapid-fire humor and the hottest hits from back home.

The G.I.s love him, the top brass is up in arms. Riddled with sidesplitting comic salvos, bittersweet bombshells and hot '60s rock 'n' roll, this landmark film chronicles one man's raucous Saigon adventures amidst a world gone mad. Featuring all-new bonus material that includes hilarious outtakes from Robin Williams' "raw" monologues, this Special Edition of 'Good Morning Vietnam' scores a direct hit every time you watch!

My Thoughts
Well, it's Robin Williams. What more is there to say? I find it unfortunate that they didn't use more of his improvisations as the deejay, because I really love it when he does improv (anybody saw the Whose Line Is It Anyway? episode with him? Pure improv genius!). And the guy can go on, and on, and on. So I really liked this movie. Definitely warrants a watch if you like Robin Williams.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 04:41:06 PM by RossRoy »

RossRoy

« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2008, 05:25:17 AM »
Grave of the Fireflies

Original Title: Hotaru no Haka
Year: 1988
Director: Isao Takahata
Rating: NR
Length: 88 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.66:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Japanese: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

What they say
In the aftermath of a World War II bombing, two orphaned children struggle to survive in the Japanese countryside. To Seita and his four-year old sister, the helplessness and indifference of their countrymen is even more painful than the enemy raids. Through desperation, hunger and grief, these children's lives are as heartbreakingly fragile as their spirit and love is inspiring. 'Grave of the Fireflies' is a tale of the true tragedy of war and innocence lost, not only of the abandoned young, but of an entire nation.

My Thoughts
Honestly, words totally fail me. Not that I really know what to say usually, but in this case, even if I was good with words, I wouldn't know what to say. But I'll try anyway.

I've rarely, if ever, been moved that much by a movie. You can't help but feel for these kids. All that they had to go through after losing their mother in the bombing. From their aunt who simply doesn't care, all the way to a farmer who won't spare even a spoonful of rice. You see these kids persevere, trying to make the best of what they have. But when it happens (if you've seen the movie, you know what I'm talking about), it just hits you. And then you start to think, that even though this is a work of fiction, you can't help but think that it may have been like that for some child. And not just in Japan during World War II, but in any war, anywhere on the planet, at any given time. We've all seen wars in movie or on the news, but it always feels so surreal, almost fake. But this movie, manages to bring it closer to home. It actually makes you realise how hard it must be.

Now, some may be thinking "What the heck man? It just a silly animated movie!". Well, I'll reply to that by saying that the fact that it is animated is probably what makes this movie work so well.

They don't take any shortcuts in this. You see the bombers in the air, the bombs raining down, people running for their lives, burnt bodies everywhere, even the common dumps. All this can be done live action, yes, but would it be as effective? With live action, you would know that the people aren't really running for their lives. You would know nobody got killed by the falling bombs, as they would probably be duds anyway. The burnt bodies would be mannequins and makeup. And you'd know that. Deep down inside, it wouldn't be real. The fact that it is all animated here, removes that layer of reality, so you are left with only that idea that it is real. And you get thrown back to what it might be like in real life. You have to imagine it yourself, you have to create the image in your mind, which makes it that much more powerful.

Even the little girl being animated makes it more real. (I'll put that in a spoiler tag. And it is a BIG spoiler, so please, if you plan on watching the movie, DO NOT READ THAT!)
(click to show/hide)

The whole movie is really powerful in what it's trying to convey. I can wholeheartedly recommend the movie. It is a must see. I can't recommend it enough.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 12:50:05 PM by RossRoy »